mos2 technical reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
HTSS_TR- VSOT is much thicker than LM MoS2. I do the same shake and mix routine myself. MoS2 really leaves a lot remaining in the conatiner if you don't add oil, shake it up, pour it out, and repeat. Typically what I do is add 3 qts of oil to the sump, pour the MoS2 in, then fill the MoS2 bottle with oil about halfway and shake it. I use as much of the remaining oil as I have to get the remaining MoS2 out of the bottle. You'd be surprised how much can remain in that little bottle.

Well, I thought that I was so cheap trying to get most of the VSOT out of the bottle, I could not just discard the bottle with some of the fluid in it. You and mechtech2 and some others do the same mix and shake to get most of MOS2 out of the little can, now I don't feel so cheap anymore.

^+2! Lol, I just did the same thing when adding the remnants of my 'empty' MoS2 can that I saved for the very purpose of being shaken!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Well, I thought that I was so cheap trying to get most of the VSOT out of the bottle, I could not just discard the bottle with some of the fluid in it. You and mechtech2 and some others do the same mix and shake to get most of MOS2 out of the little can, now I don't feel so cheap anymore.

Cheap? No, it's the sign of a healthy mind!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I shake and stir it, and pour it in. Then, I use the engine oil to 1/2 fill it, shake it, and put in the engine. I get as much as I can out of the bottle this way.

That's also pretty much how I add it too: shake the ---- out of the bottle, empty, fill with oil, shake, and empty again. I noticed there was so much of still clinging to the can after emptying the bottle that it seemed like I'd be throwing away too much mos2 goodness if I didn't get that last bit out.

I put a couple quarts of straight oil in before adding the mos2, and I don't stir it, but otherwise same idea.

-Spyder

I added some to my 99 VW golf 2.0L. this was 'molyslip' found here in canada, technically similar to other common mos2 products (0.5 micron particle size) I was being very careful not to get caught up in placebo effect. I can now say that this stuff REALLY smoothed out my valve-train noise. Thats satisfying in itself. I can not comment on fuel mileage yet but I can only assume with less noise there is less friction, and fuel economy will likely improve slightly. Well worth the $10

Hello everybody,

If your afraid of the MOS2 settling out of the oil, why don't you test it like I did:

*Buy a quart of your oil and put it in a clear closable glass container.
*Add the right proportion of MOS2 additive and shake well ( make sure the container is fully closed.....)
*Let settle on the boiler for a few months. Keeping the oil warm ensure a low viscosity wich accelerate any settling. +/- 100°F in my case.
*After whatever time you think is enough, revert the container and watch for a few minutes. You should be able to see through the bottom of the jar. If not, You have a settling issue.

The additives I'm using don't show any settling after 3 months.
Of course, the oil gets warmer in actual use and consequently, thinner.
But, in actual use, the warm oil is also continuously stirred. When it's not, it's far cooler.

I would say that 3 months at 100°F without any stirring is a worst case scenario for settling.

For the average person who uses their car at least once a week there is no need to fear possible settling out of the product. Keep in mind as soon as the engine starts anything that might have settled is quickly put back into suspension, it is a non issue.

Concerning settling:
We can also note that there is no strong concentration coming out first when an oil change is performed, and that the drained oil is uniform.

Very informative thread, I just bought the LM oil saver and will be trying that this OCI, looks like I also will be trying out some Mos2.. Can I add both to my oil with out any ill affects, my Civic only takes 4 quarts..

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Very informative thread, I just bought the LM oil saver and will be trying that this OCI, looks like I also will be trying out some Mos2.. Can I add both to my oil with out any ill affects, my Civic only takes 4 quarts..

I'd fill up with 3.5 quarts of motor oil and then add both cans if you are using them during the same interval. Then, just monitor your level on the dipstick over time to see the chance to top off with regular engine oil. This may make you slightly over-filled, but not by much and it won't make any difference.

I have also been using MOS2 for years - never any problems with oil filter clogging.
Usually I find it can take around 2+ hours of driving to see the mileage benefits - it can take a while for the moly to plate onto the internals.

I started using it on my broken in snowblower
usually it would take 2-3 pulls to start - after 40mins of MOS2 use she starts on the first pull. - I love the stuff>:)

I am glad to hear that it dont clog up the oil filter i used american lube moly from 1987 when they went out of businesss
I started using the MOS2 from NAPA glad to see people here are doing well with it .

Car runs a lot better, quieter idle, doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore, a good 3-5mpg gain too, worth the 4.89 at napa anyday

I added 300ml of LM MoS2 to 6qts of Castrol Syntec 5W40 in my `99 Audi this past week. I was initially hesitant to alter the factory recommended oil in this HM car but opted to add it after reading that Syntec 5W40 is almost completely void of moly. The difference it has made in the way the 30v V6 runs has been dramatic...to say the least. It wasn't unusual to hear some valvetrain clatter while under heavy load before, but that's completely gone now. The noticeably improved smoothness of the engine has even inspired my confidence in exploring the upper RPM range...5500rpm now sounds like music to my ears. I have the suspicion that many tired DOHC engines might show the biggest improvements on this stuff.

Last edited:
I guess it is time for an update.
I ran a half bottle of Mos2 two oil changes ago in my 2002 Ford Taurus with the Vulcan SOHC V6 and 171,000 miles on it. It did quiet things down at start up and when going up hills.

Due to the nature of Mos2 I expected it to last at least 2 oil changes, and the next OCI was pretty quiet.

However, I started to run a new OCI about a couple months and a 1,000 miles ago. It has been more noisy. I figured it might just be the Maxlife, I am chasing a small leak.

I decided to drive a 1,000 miles on this OCI to see how the Maxlife performed on its own. Then add the other half of that bottle of Mos2.

Well I added that half bottle of the Mos2 this past week. It has made a significant difference in the start up and idle when we have the MAX A/C on. It used to have a typewriter/sewing machine sound at start up and going up steep inclines, but those have mostly gone away. There is some noise going up inclines at speed, but that has been there since day one.

Overall for the price of the bottle and the fact that it seems to do its job over 2 OCI's I'm thinking I am going to stick with it.

Don't have a UOA on it. But I just may do it once I figure out this small leak I have.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Car runs a lot better, quieter idle, doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore, a good 3-5mpg gain too, worth the 4.89 at napa anyday
3 to 5 MPG improvement??? Sounds like you tried Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Super Dave -
Any reason to only use a 1/2 dose?
Give your car the full Monty!

Just wanted to see what a 1/2 dose would do, and after 6 months of unemployment I have some debts to pay off now that I landed a full time job. It is my attempt to be cheap and to experiment with comparatively small quantities of Moly.

Still need another part time to make up the difference, but hopefully I can find something that I wont totally hate.

Perhaps next OCI I will give it the full Monty. For the time being I am refilling the little bottle the Lubro Moly came in with Dino and letting it sit so that I can get every drop of Moly out of there. I plan on topping off with that bit if I need to.
There was some on the bottom of the can when I finished pouring, I figure that adding more oil will help put it into suspension again!

By the way guys, have anybody tried Ceratech by Lubro Moly? I've heard from reputable person that it makes wonders,3 times better than moly additive. Lasts for 30000 miles(or km, don't remember).Works same way as Moly, but covers with synthetic layer similar to very slippery ceramics. But the only site I found that sells it in USA wants around 50 bucks for it. Will give it a try. Anyone also willing to try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back