Morning fog on car windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My driveway is set up in such a way (stupid) that it is immediately next to the house and VERY narrow. It is also the property line so I cannot widen.

Because of the steep nature of the first section, the best entry/exit approach is to go head first up the driveway, and back out to leave.

In seasons like now, with cold but somewhat damp mornings, the windows will get a fog on the outside. Even using a squeege or windshield wipers will not help, because it will come right back.

Because backing out of a driveway with literally two inches between your mirror and the house is somewhat tough, it is best to have optimum vision. When the windows fog on the outside like this, what is the best product to prevent it from happening?

Will a product like rain-x help?

I've used rain-x in the past, and generally just wax my windows now. It doesn't make a difference on this, and I can't think of anything practical that would.

My windshield does the exact same thing, I'll run the wipers and within a minute or so it'll be foggy again. And, then I'll keep the wipers going till I have driven 2 or 3 miles and then the fog will stop returning.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I keep the wipers going and roll down side windows when backing up if necessary.

that's all you can do, same w/ a light frost on the windows, just wipe until clean (good advice for a number of things actually...)

I've seen some anti-fog products at the auto store, but I think those are mostly for the inside of the windows.

I know that if you spray a mixture of water and vinegar on your window( on the outside of the window ) at night it will prevent frost in the morning, but I don't know if it would help with morning fog.

If you can cover the car with an awning, the water wont condense.

Do you have the room for a simple lean-to awning?

Build a test awning out of a tarp and 2X4 for the posts.

spray with fogging oil
smile.gif

If the temp not at the freezing point yet, you can pour a bucket of hot tap water on all glass/mirror around you car.

Last edited:
Some people place a sheet of cardboard on the windshield in the evening and remove it in the morning before going to work.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Some people place a sheet of cardboard on the windshield in the evening and remove it in the morning before going to work.

This was what I was thinking. You can actually buy a nice windshield cover for very little money and it's for the purpose and won't get soggy with moisture like cardboard. It also helps with ice so no need to scrap the glass is a plus.

Here is pretty deluxe one for $15:

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=13932

This is exactly why when it gets cold enough for foggy/frosted windows I start my car and let it warm up. With a cold engine, you can scrape, wipe, or whatever all you want, and the second you get in the car to drive off, the windows will be fogged over again. With the engine warmed up, the windows stay clear...

Originally Posted By: grampi
This is exactly why when it gets cold enough for foggy/frosted windows I start my car and let it warm up. With a cold engine, you can scrape, wipe, or whatever all you want, and the second you get in the car to drive off, the windows will be fogged over again. With the engine warmed up, the windows stay clear...
This is what I do.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've used rain-x in the past, and generally just wax my windows now. It doesn't make a difference on this, and I can't think of anything practical that would.

Bummer...

Was hoping that hydrophobicity would help...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Bummer...

I don't think so......
grin2.gif

17D8BC-hydrophobic.jpg

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Bummer...

I don't think so......
grin2.gif

17D8BC-hydrophobic.jpg

roflmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back