More V4 vs V6

I
I like the idea of a turbo I-6. I'm very interested in what the early adopters of it think and the problems if any they're finding in the current Stellantis vehicles using it. I'm especially interested in hearing about it in the 2025 RAM, when they start populating the roads, and when it will find its way into the Wrangler. IMO an I-6 is a very reliable engine design and it should do well with the turbo.
had a couple GM I5’s - thinking with a turbo and 10 speed they’d had been twice the fun !!!

I am very content with the 2.5L/D-Force engine in my new 2023 Rav 4 Hybrid. Handles the weight of the vehicle just fine, going to a heavier style SUV like the Highlander --- I would much prefer the 6 cylinder. Not saying the 2.5L is not capable -- just "my" preference.

There certainly are some very notable four cylinder turbos out there, starting with the the Chevy 2.7 Turbo, the Ford 2.3 Turbo and the Chevy 2.0 liter Turbo. One problem is that people expect them to have good gas mileage numbers but you really need to drive them like a pansy and keep out of the turbo mode to get good results. Powerwise they can deliver, but you need to get used to the high rpm sound, which is totally common and welcome in Europe but is foreign in something like a Chevy Silverado.

It used to mean that high RPM’s meant early wear-out but is not as true with today’s synthetics. Back in the 70’s, car magazine new-car tests used to note the RPM at 60 mph as if that was something that would affect your buying decision.

Last edited:
Ford Mustang with the 2.3 Four cylinder EcoBoost. 0 to 60 in 5.0 seconds. What’s not to like.

13E85285-FFC9-4E9C-845E-C9C4884443FB.jpeg

I like the idea of a turbo I-6. I'm very interested in what the early adopters of it think and the problems if any they're finding in the current Stellantis vehicles using it. I'm especially interested in hearing about it in the 2025 RAM, when they start populating the roads, and when it will find its way into the Wrangler. IMO an I-6 is a very reliable engine design and it should do well with the turbo.
I took delivery of a 2007 335i in 12/06. I remember a guy at the gym saying what do you plan to do when the warranty is out? I said why? The twin turbos, $6k to replace.

My response….”Dunno”

That was 17 years ago. Today, I’d pay out of pocket I guess. Still cheaper then a new car. But these are low pressure, 8.5 psi each. Turbos these days often have a lot of boost.

Imagine another 104 HP when already 500….

Beat me to it. My dad had a new Sonett III with the Ford v4. I recall the "different" new car smell. He showed me the " free wheeling" pull handle left over from the 3 cyl 2-stroke (a necessity ) Body was glassfibre. I don't recall if it had epoxy over wood used in the frame.
I do recall the beam axle in the rear with leather straps(!) as a travel limiter. A Cool, ultra lightweight car in need of a peppier engine.

My now wife had an old Saab 96 Sport with the triple-carb 2-stroke and a 4(!) on the tree back in H.S. days. Talk about a buzz bomb!

- Arco

I took delivery of a 2007 335i in 12/06. I remember a guy at the gym saying what do you plan to do when the warranty is out? I said why? The twin turbos, $6k to replace.

My response….”Dunno”

That was 17 years ago. Today, I’d pay out of pocket I guess. Still cheaper then a new car. But these are low pressure, 8.5 psi each. Turbos these days often have a lot of boost.

Imagine another 104 HP when already 500….

I don't think the turbos will be a problem to be honest. I'm just not the kind of person who will be an early adopter, so I will follow with interest for a while.

I mean, when it comes to turbo technology, it is obvious that average American driver slept over last 40 years.
I'm not sure if that was directed to me or not, so let me clear something up a bit. I don't think the Turbos in the 3.0L Hurricane Engines or turbos in general will be a problem, they've been around long enough. I'm just not a fan of being an early adopter of the new engine in the Stellantis lineup, which I was commenting about earlier, or any new engine for that matter. They're out in the Wagoneer for about 2 years, it's how it does in the RAM that interests me. So now that that is cleared up I agree with you.

FTR I have high hopes for the 3.0L Hurricane in both configurations.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that was directed to me or not, so let me clear something up a bit. I don't think the Turbos in the 3.0L Hurricane Engines or turbos in general will be a problem, they've been around long enough. I'm just not a fan of being an early adopter of the new engine in the Stellantis lineup, which I was commenting about earlier, or any new engine for that matter. They're out in the Wagoneer for about 2 years, it's how it does in the RAM that interests me. So now that that is cleared up I agree with you.

That could be said for any new engine, turbo or not, or any new vehicle.
But, this debate is not only happening here. It is astonishing what comments you can find in vehicle dedicated forums.
Whether hurricane will be good or bad simply depends on overall quality of an engine.

That could be said for any new engine, turbo or not, or any new vehicle.
But, this debate is not only happening here. It is astonishing what comments you can find in vehicle dedicated forums.
Whether hurricane will be good or bad simply depends on overall quality of an engine.
Yes, I mentioned that as well when I wrote "or any new engine for that matter." I agree with what you're saying about the astonishing comments. Like anything else, everyone has their opinions, favorite brands, and brands they despise. All of that has to be taken into account. Still there is some good info that can be obtained once you sort through the nonsense. Once again I feel the I-6 turbo can be a winner. It will be interesting to see if more automakers start making them.

I wasn’t sure either. But given a choice I’d prefer a NA V8. The characteristics are different. My turbos are now 17.5 yo so I don’t even remember I have them. Does this mean a 1.2 liter 3 cyl turbo is good? Bad? Ugly? No. But it’s not as simple as some make it out to be. They spelled the end of my relative’s Passat, not worth fixing

Edit on the I6, BMW has had them since 2007, but who are the latest besides Jeep. Mazda with the CX-90? I think Benz…it’s a naturally balanced engine so a good candidate

Last edited:
I wasn’t sure either. But given a choice I’d prefer a NA V8. The characteristics are different. My turbos are now 17.5 yo so I don’t even remember I have them. Does this mean a 1.2 liter 3 cyl turbo is good? Bad? Ugly? No. But it’s not as simple as some make it out to be. They spelled the end of my relative’s Passat, not worth fixing
I like a nice V8 too, but with what's been going on with the big push to go "all electric" they're certainly in the crosshairs. It's a shame when you come right down to it, but I don't want to get dragged into beating that horse today. ;)

Yes, I mentioned that as well when I wrote "or any new engine for that matter." I agree with what you're saying about the astonishing comments. Like anything else, everyone has their opinions, favorite brands, and brands they despise. All of that has to be taken into account. Still there is some good info that can be obtained once you sort through the nonsense. Once again I feel the I-6 turbo can be a winner. It will be interesting to see if more automakers start making them.
I6 was dropped by many bcs. V6 was much cheaper overall solution. You can shovel it into anything bcs. it is more compact. BMW was pretty much only major manufacturer that stick to it, rightly so.
There is no doubt I6 is leaps and bounds better than V6, except if bean counters are making decisions. Well, bean counters figured that you can develop modular engines out if I6: 4cyl and 3cyl. Hurricane is that product. You can shovel it into RAM pick up, and 3cyl off spring into Panda. Mercedes went back to I6, Mazda just delivered one etc.
V8 will be less and less available. How efficient I6 turbo engines will be depends on manufacturers. In BMW X7 they are are extremely efficient. Than you have Toyota 3.4TT in Sequoia (though V6) that regardless that it has 2 more gears and hybrid, still struggle to get 20-21mpg on hwy. i think that engine is prime example how downsizing can be miss.

I like a nice V8 too, but with what's been going on with the big push to go "all electric" they're certainly in the crosshairs. It's a shame when you come right down to it, but I don't want to get dragged into beating that horse today. ;)
Man if GM does away with them for 2026 I’d literally rush out to get a 2025. But I hope they don’t do that so I have more time…

Back