More ugly Purolator filters PL20195 PL10241

Status
Not open for further replies.
PL10241 prior filter with ~9000 miles, many wide spaced pleats.
PL20195 last one off Sienna and ~8500 miles.
Both have pleats that were loose at the end caps where the media appears to have been pulled lose or shrank away from adhesive. 10241 being much worst.

filter pictures PL10241, PL20195, PL14610's

The PL14610's appear to have held up well in the Civic.
The Mobil filter appears to have much less media.
Also more older PL10241's from Sienna going back to 2005 and all but the oldest one has breakdown at the end caps.

This is why i dont use anything related to purolator anymore all we used at the shop were made by purolator i talked this over with my filter dealer and he no longer pushes them

Checking the date codes, all are A = 2009 or B= 2010;
10241 B, oil 5W30 M1 EL
20195 B, oil 5W30 PU (lots of grit in filter)
14610 (2) B (1) A, ~8000 OCIs, oil 5W20 PU, QSUD, QSUD

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Does the 20195 have any tears? If so it's the first one I've seen.

No tears just one pleat appears to be starting to degrade at the end cap glue. Not bad considering the miles run. The previously used 10241's (5) have wide spaced pleats coming apart at the glue. Seems like very thin coating of glue on the end caps.

yea, making me nervous.. I have a Bosch 3422 for my next oil change.. it is the same as a 20195, maybe i need to throw it in the garbage

Originally Posted By: Nightmare
yea, making me nervous.. I have a Bosch 3422 for my next oil change.. it is the same as a 20195, maybe i need to throw it in the garbage

I wouldn't throw it in the garbage, just run in for a shorter interval or cut it open virgin.

Maybe you could run it for like 1k then cut it open for giggles if you're willing to?

If you cannot return or exchange it then used it for 5-8k. Cut it open and verify it holds up in your application.

There have been no reported media tears on the 20195, so I wouldn't worry about it ... use it up. I've got a PL20195 on the Tacoma right now, and 3 more new ones in my filter stash. Since there haven't been any reported tears in the 20195 I will use them up, then maybe go Ultra after that.

Man, I don't even run any filter for 8k...i think Memphis tiger has the right idea, run it for a couple months, then cut it open... Just bought 6qts. of RP HPS oil for 42$ and got a free RP filter.. now I might run a RP for 8k, but honestly 7500 is my limit for any oil/filter combo... I have alot of short trips...

Originally Posted By: mr_diy

If you cannot return or exchange it then used it for 5-8k. Cut it open and verify it holds up in your application.

Last edited:
No reported media tears???? where you been Zee? that's the title of this thread..they are out there, just now having people cut open some 20195's. I never like a pure one since they started putting overspray all inside the filter.. I dissed them then. Figured a Bosch might be ok...I had bought 3 of them on amz.. ain't worth $5 to me to take a chance. Maybe run for 1k so we can tell if the media tears just due to pressure, or normal runs, etc.
They had to know, they have a QC lab like everyone else. That's why all these sites got flooded with cheap pureones for sale. Tried to unload them before reports came in like BITOG

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There have been no reported media tears on the 20195, so I wouldn't worry about it ... use it up. I've got a PL20195 on the Tacoma right now, and 3 more new ones in my filter stash. Since there haven't been any reported tears in the 20195 I will use them up, then maybe go Ultra after that.

i'm gonna get one of those harbor freight tools, i'll cut open every filter i use from now on.
got a FL-400S on it right now from when the dealer changed my oil (had a motor repair, it got changed there..lol) bet ya I cut open the 400-FLS since it's a Termin-ualtor.....

[/quote]

I wouldn't throw it in the garbage, just run in for a shorter interval or cut it open virgin.

Maybe you could run it for like 1k then cut it open for giggles if you're willing to? [/quote]

No reported media tears???? where you been Zee? that's the title of this thread..they are out there, just now having people cut open some 20195's.

Where have I been? ... well, basically in every Purolator tear thread for the last 3+ years. I was the first one here to even report a media tear back in May 2011.

Link: Purolator Media Tear in May 2011

I didn't say there were not reported media tears with Puorlator filters, I said no reported tears on 20195 filters.

See this thread, there is a link in the first post that summarizes all the reported filter media tears on this forum. There are no 20195s listed. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not one that is common by any means compared to the others out there that do tear. Also, I've been using the PL20195 on my Tacoma and cutting them all open, and so far all have looked OK.

Link: List of Reported Media Tears

I've not seen a torn 20195 either.

Nightmare there have not been any media issues with Motorcrafts that I am aware of, and I watch this board closely.

the original OP just testified that the 20195 pleats pulled loose. I guess i interpret that as the media tearing.. or failing...granted he used it alot longer than I would have.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
PL10241 prior filter with ~9000 miles, many wide spaced pleats.
PL20195 last one off Sienna and ~8500 miles.
Both have pleats that were loose at the end caps where the media appears to have been pulled lose or shrank away from adhesive. 10241 being much worse.

^^^ Exactly, any time a filter is used way past it's designed change interval, all bets are off on how it may hold up. If an oil filter gets somewhat clogged up by using it way past it's design spec, then the delta-p across the media could increase and thereby put more stress on the media for longer than normal.

Anyway, this might be the only 20195 that anyone has made any comments on regarding stressed out media, and there have not been any reported media tears at all, so far.

Hopefully, there will be a class action law suit against Purolater. This company has gone down hill and just doesn't seem to care.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Hopefully, there will be a class action law suit against Purolater. This company has gone down hill and just doesn't seem to care.

Class action law suit???? Are you on crack??? How many engines have blown up due to these filters? Why don't you launch a class action against FRAM for using "cardboard" end caps??? Open your mouth and insert your foot. Jerk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back