More than one year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2008 Cadillac DTS with the Northstar engine. I last changed my oil with Mobil 1 on July 31st of 2011. It is now almost a year later. I do not do a lot of driving. My OLM is at 53% remaining life. Would it be okay to continue with the existing oil or is one year pretty much the limit? I do not have a problem with changing it but if it isn't necessary I would rather not.

Don

It's perfectly fine.

Our work truck does less than 3000 miles per year (all short trips less than five miles) and we change the oil in it with whatever conventional non-synthetic oil is on sale. It's spotless through the fill hole.

Keep on goin.

I am more wondering about the oil itself. I know that Cadillac says no more than a year. But I am wondering if Mobil 1 is good for more than a year. Any reason to believe that Mobil has a one year policy also?

Don

I am in the same boat with my 02 Explorer. I changed the M1 0W40 out one year ago. I have 3k on the oil now but I am thinking I will wait awhile until I change it again.

I don't know why the one year max should be challenged-thats long enough.You say you don't drive it much which should be even more reason to change it.I can't understand how we get hung up on a $40 service to maintain our pricey rides.
Change it and anyone who says not-is not your friend.

Originally Posted By: mgm13
I don't know why the one year max should be challenged-thats long enough.You say you don't drive it much which should be even more reason to change it.I can't understand how we get hung up on a $40 service to maintain our pricey rides.
Change it and anyone who says not-is not your friend.

Because you are making a recommendation that has very little basis in fact and a lot of feelings. The Mobil One in his crank case is not going to degrade because it is sitting in the crank case. There is testing done on vehicles that have their oil changed every 3 years under similar conditions and still have plenty of TBN left. The more important factor to consider other than fluid condition is the mechanical condition of the car. I would recommend at least once a month take the car out on a nice 30 mile highway run to burn of the moisture in the oil and to keep everything nice a primed to move so to speak.

Let's think about it:
11 1/2 months is OK, but 12 1/2 months is not? 14 months?
I have no problems with keeping the oil in longer than a year.
OLMs can be OK, but are not the whole story.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Let's think about it:
11 1/2 months is OK, but 12 1/2 months is not? 14 months?
I have no problems with keeping the oil in longer than a year.
OLMs can be OK, but are not the whole story.

Exactly, as long as the car is not driven in severe service modes there is NO reason to replace that oil at one year, I'd say in his situation 2 years would not be risking anything at all. Although to feel better I say change at 18-20 months.

As long as the add pack is in effect you are safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

I would recommend at least once a month take the car out on a nice 30 mile highway run to burn of the moisture in the oil and to keep everything nice a primed to move so to speak.

The problem is, taking the car out just for the purpose of a 30-mile drive to burn off water will cost a few bucks in gas, depreciation, wear on the tires, etc. Doing this a few times exceeds the cost of an oil change, so why not just change the oil?

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

I would recommend at least once a month take the car out on a nice 30 mile highway run to burn of the moisture in the oil and to keep everything nice a primed to move so to speak.

The problem is, taking the car out just for the purpose of a 30-mile drive to burn off water will cost a few bucks in gas, depreciation, wear on the tires, etc. Doing this a few times exceeds the cost of an oil change, so why not just change the oil?

Because the oil is not the problem. Having oil sit in the crankcase does not cause mechanical problems. Not moving it does, tires dry rot, gas gets stale, you get critter infestation problems, and ect. If you can not drive your car why own it?

YAHHWZZZERR.. This man is thinking !! Right on Tony, Im with you on your rational ! good on you !! the only real responce you should get to your point is that oil is a natural resource and your waisting it if your not running it out all the way..

and a propper retort would be that your recycling your oil so its not going to waste at all..

At that point there might be a few moans & groans but the conversation should start to wind down...
36.gif

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

YAHHWZZZERR.. This man is thinking !! Right on Tony, Im with you on your rational ! good on you !! the only real responce you should get to your point is that oil is a natural resource and your waisting it if your not running it out all the way..

and a propper retort would be that your recycling your oil so its not going to waste at all..

At that point there might be a few moans & groans but the conversation should start to wind down...
36.gif

Valvoline has stated that 75% of recycled oil is useable per volume, for lubrication. This is higher than crude but there is still some loss but I will admit this is better than dumping down the storm drain.

Well I guess I will change it before the end of the month. I suppose one year is a long time. I still believe that I would be just fine running it longer but why risk it. Fresh oil makes me feel better anyway. Thanks folks

Don

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

36.gif

Valvoline has stated that 75% of recycled oil is useable per volume, for lubrication. This is higher than crude but there is still some loss but I will admit this is better than dumping down the storm drain.

thankyou2.gif

There is NOTHING wrong with going over 1 year in your case. Your OLM is telling you so. If you dont believe it get a test done by Blackstone and you will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back