More Takata recall: Ford Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: morepwr
Why is Takata still in business? I am surprised a different company hasnt ramped up production for airbags and taken all the business.

There is no money in it for another company. Airbags that did cost $800 are now going for $25 because there is a recall.

And why haven't other suppliers picked up the replacement parts contracts - seeing how the automakers own the CAD/CAE drawings - unless TRW and Autoliv are swamped...

Honda seems to be rocked the most, since they depended on Takata quite heavily for airbags and seatbelts.

Originally Posted By: nthach
And why haven't other suppliers picked up the replacement parts contracts - seeing how the automakers own the CAD/CAE drawings - unless TRW and Autoliv are swamped...

Honda seems to be rocked the most, since they depended on Takata quite heavily for airbags and seatbelts.

Not surprised about Honda seeing as how it is a Japanese vendor.

Normally on recalls they make the vendor at fault fix their problem. It is cheaper for them to fix it than to pay someone else to do it.

We are still dealing with the Texas Instruments supplied speed control deactivation switches leaking and catching fire. Thankfully it has been known for so long and Ford keeps really good track of the warning letters to vehicles that do catch fire are not being covered.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't understand why the media is only just now reporting this. I received the recall notice for my Ranger several months ago.

I saw a newspaper article about it over the weekend, focused on a guy from South Carolina who died in a Ranger just before Christmas. He hit a cow and got airbag shrapnel in the neck.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't understand why the media is only just now reporting this. I received the recall notice for my Ranger several months ago.

I saw a newspaper article about it over the weekend, focused on a guy from South Carolina who died in a Ranger just before Christmas. He hit a cow and got airbag shrapnel in the neck.

I think the biggest issue is Takata not being forthcoming with which of their inflators could have the issue. Once they know all the ones that could be at issue, they can see what vehicles they were installed in and in what location.

The smoothest of the Ford end of this is on the 05-06 Ford GTs. Ford will pay to have a technician go to the vehicle at the owner's residence to take care of the recall. They had a similar program when there was a control arm recall on the GTs.

We are still dealing with the Texas Instruments supplied speed control deactivation switches leaking and catching fire. Thankfully it has been known for so long and Ford keeps really good track of the warning letters to vehicles that do catch fire are not being covered.

I always thought it was GE who supplied pressure switches to Ford...

Originally Posted By: nthach

I always thought it was GE who supplied pressure switches to Ford...

All the paperwork on our end says TI. BTW Ford only declines to cover damage when they have on record the customer receiving multiple recall notices. They will even go to the extreme of a certified mail with signed receipt.

When I was helping mom get a used 2011 Honda CRV, I went to Honda's web page and there was a list of Honda cars with defective airbags. I was happy to know that the 2011 CRV was not one of them.

My 2002 truck had the recall done about a decade ago, but it got the fused jumper harness. And it still has it, along with the original red connector TI switch. Still no leaks, go figure. Cruise works fine. My 2001 Ranger and 1995 Explorer got new switches with the black connector. The 1995 Explorer was leaking from the TI switch. My 1994 Ranger doesn't have the switch at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back