More metal flake in oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 years ago I posted that I saw some metallic flake in the oil when drained from my Accord. Fast forward 2 years later I am still seeing it. I don't have a picture from todays oil change, but I did use a clean oil drain pan so I know the flake was from the Accord. It didn't look like there were any more flakes than 2 years ago, so I suppose that's a good sign. I just can't help but wonder if it's normal or not.

This is an old picture from 2 years ago. The oil looked just like this today. I didn't see a metal glittery slurry, just a couple small flakes.
[Linked Image]

I had a chrysler LHS that had metal in the oil for 45K miles (and that was upon me caring for it... who knows how much longer it was like that). 120K-165K then I gave it away.

Is it your only car?

Originally Posted by aualtima3.5
I had a chrysler LHS that had metal in the oil for 45K miles (and that was upon me caring for it... who knows how much longer it was like that). 120K-165K then I gave it away.

Is it your only car?

See my sig.

Is this just debris showing on the bottom of the drain pan (after you drain the used oil into containers?) If so, I see this pretty regularly when I do oil changes on my own vehicles. I have had several UOAs performed showing nothing out of the ordinary. I would cut open the filter and inspect it. If nothing is amiss, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Is this just debris showing on the bottom of the drain pan (after you drain the used oil into containers?) If so, I see this pretty regularly when I do oil changes on my own vehicles. I have had several UOAs performed showing nothing out of the ordinary. I would cut open the filter and inspect it. If nothing is amiss, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Yes, this is when draining the oil from the Accord into an oil drain pan. I did check the previous filter, it did have some debris, but nothing I would consider excessive. As in, it wasn't pack full of shavings.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Yes, this is when draining the oil from the Accord into an oil drain pan. I did check the previous filter, it did have some debris, but nothing I would consider excessive. As in, it wasn't pack full of shavings.

I've always inspected the filters (especially after I noticed the metal flakes @ bottom of pan first time) and I was never able to discern any metal flakes inside the filter. But then, inside the filter is lacking the contrast that you have when looking at the bottom of the pan. Metal flakes on brown isn't very likely to show up versus on black pan, that's probably why I didn't spot any.

A UOA would be a good idea if you're concerned and might put the issue to rest as it did mine.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Any other out of the ordinary symptoms? Consumption? Noises? Anything?

Is your drain plug a magnetic version?

No consumption, only noise is occasional VTC rattle. No magnetic drain plug.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
That makes perfect sense. 0W-20.

Yes, yes. This is the reason
smirk2.gif
. If you don't have anything of benefit to add to this thread, please don't bother posting.

Yes, yes. This is the reason
smirk2.gif
. If you don't have anything of benefit to add to this thread, please don't bother posting.

What's supposed to be there to prevent wear to the engine?

Wait Wait, don't tell me. . . It's coming to me. . . Um. . . Oh yeah. . . The oil !
grin.gif

A vtc gear knocking on startup can for sure cause shavings in the oil. I know for a fact from a Renault I ones owned. Changed the gear and solenoid valve and of course the oil. No more shavings.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I would find that concerning, we didn't even have that come out of the FF in the RAM....

Me too. I don't recall seeing anything like that changing out the FF in my vehicles. I would get a UOA if possible.

I don't think there is a Southbend lathe in the engine so there wont be any "shavings" from turning.

Likely origin? from Wet timing system debris. That T-chain is a chainsaw when slapping.

Would keep an eye in the filter pleats. UOA wont show anything from fretting and galling unless you do a particle count. You can filter this big particulate yourself and do a count or gram mass.

Keep an eye on it. If it ramps up the timing cover will unfortunately have to come off for a look-see.

Scary, for sure. Honda has had some problems over the years with cam shaft lobe galling with some K24 production years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back