More issues with my Lincoln MKC

Hey all. Got my Lincoln MKC back from the dealership and noticed two things. One, an audible metal rattle coming from the driver’s side engine bay when driving and a leak at the passenger side rear wheel area. I took of the splash guard and tried to move things with my hand to test for movement. The only thing that seemed weird to me was that the driver side cv axel has play in it where it meets the transmission. Is that normal? I tried the same thing on the passenger side and it didn’t wiggle at all…

I checked visually for the leak in the back and found a thin hard tubing that seemed to loop near the rear strut tower that was leaking a thick heavy oil that smelled like gear oil. What the heck is that about? The Lincoln does have ride control to stiffen or relax the ride feel. Could that have some oil in it? It seems too far to the side and too high to come from the rear differential…

Hey all. Got my Lincoln MKC back from the dealership
What work did they perform?

The only thing that seemed weird to me was that the driver side cv axel has play in it where it meets the transmission. Is that normal? I tried the same thing on the passenger side and it didn’t wiggle at all…
Some amount of play can be normal. Passenger side axle is often longer and has an intermediate support bearing/shaft.

I checked visually for the leak in the back and found a thin hard tubing that seemed to loop near the rear strut tower that was leaking a thick heavy oil that smelled like gear oil. What the heck is that about? The Lincoln does have ride control to stiffen or relax the ride feel. Could that have some oil in it? It seems too far to the side and too high to come from the rear differential…
Need a picture...

I put my finger on the line and in the other pic you can see it curves up an towards the strut tower…I have no clue what the line is, but it is covered in oil and road grime and the oil was dripping off this line…

Attachments

• 5DF5B214-E2CC-43CA-93FC-078322B69956.jpeg
    5DF5B214-E2CC-43CA-93FC-078322B69956.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 64F8CB1B-B6EA-403E-AA69-C986B27A9F86.jpeg
    64F8CB1B-B6EA-403E-AA69-C986B27A9F86.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 62
If it's got clutches in the diff, they may have overheated and puked a bit of fluid out the vent. Otherwise, overfilling will also do it.

Can you follow this tube to either end? It looks like it comes from the rear differential and just goes up there and dead-ends, which is a typical vent line on trucks. Having it run up high keeps water from going into the gear case if you go fording streams off-road.

Quick status update. Ford dealership has this in for service now. Rear leaking issue was definitely from rear differential vent tube and was described as normal. Excellent @WylieCoyote. No other apparent issues going on. Front noise is from bad strut tower. Is being replaced under warranty. I’ll post the final update when I get the vehicle back…

Final report. Replaced strut tower and assorted fasteners. Covered under extended warranty, with $100 deductible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 23
Glad you were able to get it resolved and it was something minor. Those poor struts probably take a beating from those PA roads!

Back