More from Indonesian quake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important so a new post. Pablo and others please desist from closing. This is not political.
Quake toll rises sharply
May 28, 2006
A DAWN earthquake killed more than 3,000 people around the Indonesian city of Yogyakarta yesterday, burying many under the rubble of their homes in a scene survivors said was like the end of the world.

As night fell, terrified residents huddled outside their ruined houses or in the grounds of mosques, churches and schools in the heartland of Indonesia's main island of Java.
"It's pitch dark. We have to use candles and we are sitting outside now. We are too scared to sleep inside. The radio keeps saying there will be more quakes. We still feel the tremors," said Tjut Nariman on the outskirts of Yogyakarta.

The 6.2 magnitude quake struck at the crack of dawn when many were still in bed. It was the third major tremor to hit Indonesia in 18 months, the worst being the quake on Dec. 26, 2004 and its resulting tsunami which left some 170,000 people dead or missing.

Indonesia sits on the Asia-Pacific region's so-called "Ring of Fire", marked by heavy volcanic and tectonic activity.

"Buildings shook like pendulums, I thought it was Armageddon," said cab driver Ngadiman, who was at work when the quake struck.

Many bodies remained buried under rubble as authorities struggled to get aid into the region. Several countries offered medical relief teams and emergency supplies.

The wards and corridors of Sarjito hospital in Yogyakarta city were crammed with injured survivors. Many more lay on the hard ground outside under the night sky.

"Oh my ***, where is the doctor, where is the doctor?" cried one old man with a bruised face.

Farmer Karjiman from Bantul town lay in a corridor with his injured wife and three-year-old daughter.

"My daughter here was buried under the rubble. We got her out, but we could not save my other daughter ... it was just horrible," he said.

The death toll had reached 3,002 by late Saturday night, said the Social Affairs Ministry's disaster task force.

Bantul town, about 25km south of Yogyakarta city, was hit hardest. One official said the Bantul region accounted for more than 2,000 of the dead.

In the outskirts of Yogyakarta, telephone services were erratic and many houses were razed. Electricity had not resumed by nightfall and many people burned sticks and shrubs for light. Yogyakarta's airport was shut because of a damaged runway.

The epicentre of the quake, which struck just before 6 am (0900 AEST), was offshore. Many near the coast feared it would be followed by a tsunami and fled for higher ground.

No tsunami came but the fear lingered into the night.

Yogyakarta is near Mount Merapi, a volcano on top alert for a major eruption. A vulcanologist said the volcano did not cause the quake, but its activity had increased after the shock.

Yogyakarta is about 25 km north of the Indian Ocean coast and 440 km east of Jakarta. Yogyakarta province, which includes the city, has a population of 3.2 million. Central Java province also suffered damage.

The largest Buddhist monument on Earth, Borobudur, was left untouched but several structures nearby collapsed, said staff at a hotel nearby. The temple 40km from the city was built some 1,200 years ago.

Borobudur and Yogyakarta's centuries-old royal palaces are prime tourist attractions.

The Prambanan Hindu temple complex near Jakarta suffered some damage but the main structure remained intact.

At Solo airport, schoolteacher Muhammad Yusan said he had left Aceh, more than 1600 km away, on Saturday morning to try to reach his family in Bantul.

"I lost my father, aunt and niece, but I can't confirm the rest because I can't get hold of them," Yusan said. "I think Bantul is flattened because most houses there are poorly built and old."

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono visited Bantul and Health Minister Siti Fadillah Supari said medical teams had been sent to the hardest-hit areas. The European Union, the United States, Japan and UNICEF were among those to offer immediate aid.

1) I didn't go political in the previous thread. You did.
2) I don't close threads. I'm not a moderator.

Nasty destruction. Horrific. I pray for those people.

Link with map and photos

I hope they can rebuild with modern building codes. A 6.2-6.3 quake simply does not kill 3000+ people in even the more densely populated places with buildings designed to go 7+ quakes - think Japan and California and even Seattle.

When these Bannana Republics report a couple of thousand you know its going to getr in the 10's of thousands..Stand by
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
When these Bannana Republics report a couple of thousand you know its going to getr in the 10's of thousands..Stand by
frown.gif

Not disagreeing with you, but do you know that Banana Republic has a population of 240,000,000.

For a country that we don't hear about except for disasters, revolutions and terrorist events that's a lot of people.

I thought banana republics were more a United Fruit CO domain, in the western hemisphere, to the south of the US:)

What's the difference
dunno.gif
A third world nation is a third world nation. Whether it's bananas or sugar or rice. Agraian cultures are always the ones teeming with massive populations and miserable conditions. The transition to an industrial economy takes a while to take foot hold in the birth rate. Add a geo-instability zone..or floods ..or monsoons ..or droughts ..and what do you get
confused.gif

We have our own version of environmental lottery that we play too
dunno.gif

They're humans. They feel love, loss and pain as the rest of us do. Through an accident of birth, this is where they were situated. There is no knowing or understanding why these things happen.

This is why we pray.

Don't think I have no sympathy for their plight. I just see more misery ahead for those who, by accident of birth, are in these situations. Many of these situations defy any resolution ..hence we can look forward to the next unfortunate and sad event.

I too weep for their suffering.

CNN has 5,100 dead now. Number just keeps going up and up and up. Scary how many lives can disappear in a few days.

California had that 6.7? in 1994 - I was a kid but remember it very well. One website shows 57 people dead from that quake.

I guess poverty over there doesn't allow them to build structurally sound houses???
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
CNN has 5,100 dead now. Number just keeps going up and up and up. Scary how many lives can disappear in a few days.

California had that 6.7? in 1994 - I was a kid but remember it very well. One website shows 57 people dead from that quake.

I guess poverty over there doesn't allow them to build structurally sound houses???
frown.gif

I believe the California quake you are refering to was 1989

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/events/1989_10_18_iso.php

I was in isoseismal VI near the isoseismal VII line. Had it been in an airliner, the captain would have put the fasten seatbelts sign on.

The epicenter was isoseismal VIII. Isoseismal is a way of rating quakes based on damage and observations.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Gary, I never thought you were indifferent. I hope you didn't infer that.

No, Groucho, I just filled in the stuff that I left out of my first post. When viewed in contrast to yours ..it felt lacking ..and almost critical of these poor unfortunate souls.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Volcano nearby about to go 'boom' as well. Who wants to live in the 'Ring of Fire'?

I live in the ring of fire its not as bad as some would led you to believe. Volcanic ash once in awhile does suck. But in general life is good here.
smile.gif

quote:

Volcanic ash once in awhile does suck. But in general life is good here.
smile.gif

You do realize that this was exactly what they said in Pompeii at one time in history.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back