More frequent OCI and intake valve deposits

Dad used to say: "blow some carbon out of it!!"
thumbsup2.gif

Reactions: hrv
Originally Posted by DavidJones
It's hard to imagine so many people having had issues with intake valve deposits.

It happens to them all eventually, some worse than others. Most don't care to look and the vast majority don't know or care. By the time they appear in some vehicles, they have already moved on to another car. For those that keep their cars a long time, at some point it will become an issue and reveal itself in the form of loss of MPG and rough idle.

Walnut blasting, using a good oil, reduced drain intervals and using a good cleaning service such as ATS are the only things you can do.

Ideally, don't buy a GDI engine. LOL. Stick to a mixed setup.

Here is a GM 3.6L with 42k miles on it. :(

View attachment 212098
Might be whats holding the car together 🤔. When I do the GDI cleaning through the throttle body I never use more than a 3rd of a can, but I do it frequently as probably every 20,000 miles or so. Yeah I do buy high detergent fuel but I think going through lots of petrol is significant because that means it's getting driven which in turn indicates it's probably getting up to the appropriate temperature 🌡. That's why many have deposits and failure with EGR,PCV and Catalytic Converters; simply not driving them long enough to blow or burn that stuff out.

20k is too long for some of these engines. I do 12k GDI sprays.
Otherwise, you will need more complex cleanings at sooner rates.
I'm a first and last owner. I suppose if I were selling the vehicle premature, then I'd probably cut corners.

Back