Mopar 899 or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the OEM filter on my 08 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (6.1 Hemi) since I got it in 2012, but I occasionally grab a MC 820S, as they are sometimes cheaper. I haven't been on BITOG in a while, and read that the 820S is now a junk filter, so I'll quit using it altogether. My OCI is ~5k miles since I drive it like I stole it, and I don't plan on any extended intervals beyond that.

In my searches, I have found some posts regarding Mopar filters, but not the 899 specifically. Is it still a decent filter? I have also used Wix on the GC and my TBSS in the past, so those are options, as well (assuming Wix is still a good filter).

I'm just looking for advice or personal experience, so thanks in advance!

As a side note, I'm shocked to see that Fram UG is now at the top of the list for good filters. Crazy world.....

Fram Ultra is the favourite-child at the moment. Or you could even use a Tough Guard which is a great filter but a little cheaper than the Ultra.

Mopars have always been excellent build quality filters and I would use them with confidence. I have never seen a reason to falt Mopar filters and I have taken a few apart both new and used. I would love to know how their filtration efficiency compares to the 99% single pass with the Fram Ultra still at full flow.

I'm currently using Fram Ultra in my PentaStar and really like the quality and the price. I'm also amazed it has slightly better filtration at 99% versus my Amsoil EAK filter which is 98.7% at more than double the cost.

That said I have used Wix in my in-laws PentaStar and CRV but I will be changing them over to Fram Ultra because the quality seems much better IMO for the prices paid here.
But that doesn't mean Wix is a bad filter. Just comparing what I get at what price makes me lean toward Fram Ultra here.

So in summary I would feel fine using Mopar, Wix, or Fram Ultra / Tough Guard filters.

Last edited:
I've been using the Napa Gold/Wix 7899 on my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7 since the second oil change with no issues. Has 130k miles on it now and runs smooth and quiet.

If you really want to spend a LOT of money, look into Baldwin or Donaldson "Synteq" filters. (if they make them in your size)

Royal Purple filters are also very good, but very expensive.

AmsOil makes a very good filter (usually just repainted Donaldson "Synteq" filters)

Wow, they times they are a changin! I remember when I first got on this board, the TG was regarded as one of the biggest wastes of money out there! What is so great about them now, don't they still use the cardboard end caps?

If base-end bypass is important to you, the MO-899 is a good choice IME. The SRT filter is I think what's spec'd for the 6.X hemi engines though.

If you can still find NOS Carquest Blue 84899 oil filters, they will have been either manufactured by Wix or Frampion. In both cases these have metal end caps and are rated for 10K miles. 95% efficiency at 20 microns and a coil spring for the Wix version, 99% efficiency at 20 microns for the Frampion version with Fram leaf spring, TG media, ADBV, & BPV. AAP discount codes can be used on these. IMO these were the best non-wire backed oil filters ever made by Fram.

Last edited:
Looks like you found the one you want to use, and they are well priced. I wouldn't use a TG based on my own experience with them. The Ultra is so little more. The Ultra has a positive seal on metal caps with a gasket on the bypass. Only shake the Ultras to see if they rattle. That 98.7 versus 99 thing is meaningless IMO, it's the same thing. The 98.7 could be called 99 just by rounding. Champ labs says 98.7 which is pretty interesting, and shows honesty, to me. The Motorcraft filters made after 01/17 are made to pass USCAR-36 which tests many factors besides efficiency. I would use those if money saved is important. They do have the base end bypass which I believe Chrysler favors similar to Ford. They like base end bypass and they made the engine is a good reason to use them.

Originally Posted by goodtimes
Looks like you found the one you want to use, and they are well priced. I wouldn't use a TG based on my own experience with them. The Ultra is so little more. The Ultra has a positive seal on metal caps with a gasket on the bypass. Only shake the Ultras to see if they rattle. That 98.7 versus 99 thing is meaningless IMO, it's the same thing. The 98.7 could be called 99 just by rounding. Champ labs says 98.7 which is pretty interesting, and shows honesty, to me. The Motorcraft filters made after 01/17 are made to pass USCAR-36 which tests many factors besides efficiency. I would use those if money saved is important. They do have the base end bypass which I believe Chrysler favors similar to Ford. They like base end bypass and they made the engine is a good reason to use them.

^^good info here.Not just someone trying to push a brand off on others. That USCAR-36 is interesting. I learned something new today. That that even exist. Good to know.

Originally Posted by goodtimes

The reason I said it was because the price is what drew me to Fram Ultra being less than 1/2 the cost of the Amsoil EAK filter and offering slightly better filtration if it isn't rounding. Heck even if it wasn't any better the price would still have me using them.

Mopar filters are very good. The Bypass is at the top of the filter and not the bottom as most filters do. This is so in bypass mode is does not flow by the filter media and put back dirt into your engine. Mopar filters have always been top quality IMO. Also Motorcraft ... Stick with your mopar IMO

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
If base-end bypass is important to you, the MO-899 is a good choice IME. The SRT filter is I think what's spec'd for the 6.X hemi engines though.

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
I think this is the oil filter spec'd for 6.XL SRT Hemi V8's.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-5038041AA-Oil-Filter/dp/B006T08WXM

Dome end bypass and higher BPV setting than the MO-899 IIRC.

Based on some info I got on the Hellcat forum, which also references BITOG a lot :), the SRT filter 041 was designed for the Viper and, per SRT engineers, is only recommended for other SRT vehicles on track days. Additionally, it looks like the 899 comes on the Hellcat, 6.4 SRT's, etc, and is recommended by the SRT engineers for a daily driving filter.

I really appreciate all the input from everyone!! I won't say there aren't better filters out there, but it looks like Chrysler trusts the 899 enough to equip it as the go-to filter for all the current SRT vehicles, so I'll stick with it for now. Doesn't hurt that they're always ~$6.

Originally Posted by David1
Mopar filters are very good. The Bypass is at the top of the filter and not the bottom as most filters do. This is so in bypass mode is does not flow by the filter media and put back dirt into your engine. Mopar filters have always been top quality IMO. Also Motorcraft ... Stick with your mopar IMO

I agree. A top threaded end bypass makes a lot of good sense.

I used Mopar filters on my 392 Challenger but recently switched to Mahle filters. They have a better designed bypass valve, vs none in the Mopar. The Mopar filter is also made by Purolator. The Mahle stuff is supposed to be premium quality. I also read that Mopar 899's aren't rated for extended drain intervals, which isn't an issue for me because I change it way sooner than I have to anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back