Moonroof long-term durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

What I'd give for my car NOT to have a moonroof! Helps to make the car more top heavy compared to car without one.

Yeah, I've heard of tons of cars rolling because of them...

crushedcar.gif

That only happens if you have Firestone tires and let the pressure get too low.
banana.gif

Down here on the 28th Parallel they are great if you want the top of your head broiled or wet. During a summer day it's too hot and humid even if it's cloudy and not raining, and at night during the summer it's too humid to have the car opened. When the conditions are favorable in the winter to open it the noise makes all that money you put into the stereo wasted - and you have to wear a hat to keep the glare off the back of your glasses.

That having been said, there has been one on every car or van I've owned for the last 16 years (except for the convertible and the Jeep Commando, which I take the top off of whenever I can)- six of 'em, from Kias to Mercedes, and I've never had one fail or leak. The have all worked just fine - I just don't like 'em, but then I'm bald for all intents and purposes.

what do you use to lube the tracks? my dad's quest has a moonroof and he's rarely used it in the 6 years that he's owned it and it's never been lubed so i think i better do that when i'm back home for break.

I kind of like it when i drive his car i use it when weather permits, that means when i don't get sunburned which is pretty much either at night or in the winter in fl.

Mike,

Lets just put it this way, the moonroon of our old 98 Civic EX was gone through 5 hurricanes and it DID NOT leak one drop of water into the car. And I haven't even bother applying any rubber/vinyl dressing.

I'm not too crazy about moonroofs, but on some car models,
they are standard equipment.

Quote:

what do you use to lube the tracks?

The only one I've ever lubed was the Probe GT, and only then because I was replacing the headliner and could get to everything - not because it needed it. I used white lithium grease after cleaning everything up with WD and a quick wipe with acetone to make sure the grease "stuck." It works fine, but it did before, too.

I have a wind deflector on this one, so I open the top a couple of inches to keep it cooler when parked in the sun, so it gets used quite a bit. I only live about 3 miles from the beach, but never have had any trouble with sand.

I have one on my '07 Camry.
Like other vehicles Ive owned,I rarely open the roof.
I do like the glass effect with the roof closed.
Makes the interior seem much bigger and brighter.

We have one on our '02 Accord without the wind deflector. We use it quite often. The wind noise from it had started picking up recently. This weekend I used AMSOIL white lithium spray grease on the track and conditioned the seals with Zymol Seal. It is quiet again at highway speeds.

My father's 1990 Toyota 4runner has 160,000 miles and the moonroof works fine. No leaks and opens/closes as you'd expect.

On one of my cars the Sunroof was standard and getting it with no Sunroof was an extra cost option. If i had been the original owner I would have paid for the delete.

On my GF's former Civic, the existence of the moonroof meant I could not sit upright.

After airbags and cruise control, it is the option I would pay most not to have

Total waste of money and all the manufacturers keep putting them in trucks......I use mine faithfully once every two years....but no leaks because I don't keep a vehicle over 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back