Moonroof long-term durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Sales Co. buys a lot of Ford's new old stock stuff. I ordered a part (wiring harness extension) from them for a Ford recall that was 15 years old (and didn't apply to my vehicle, I just wanted the harness extension since I figured it'd be a nice place to tap into the engine harness for measuring things with scopes and multimeters).

Last edited:
Drew99GT, THis is not a anti GM or Ford post I made at all. I simply have no experince with Toyota or Honda in this matter. I always figured that it was about the same across the board wich is why I cringed when my Mom's 2007 Camry had a sunroof!!! I do not like convertable or T-tops either as these things suck when the vechile gets older. Nothing worse then haveing a 12 year old car that is 98% all the way around and you can not get something stupid like small parts,motors,latches,fabric top etc...So I just avoid these type of designs entirely.

For me, the negatives far outweigh the positives. I just don't want one...the A/C suits me just fine. What bothers me is that some makes/models (lexus, for example) virtually force you to have one.

GrtArtiste

I love the sun roof on my 88 528e and use whenever I can. I cleaned the drains with a length of 4pair com cable. I had to clean the switch contacts recently. Not too shabby for a 19yr old car with 336 k miles on it.

This board has way too many OCD members.
He asked for opinions on the *amn roof, not the freakin' definition of it!

You guys need a break...

Quote:

This board has way too many OCD members.
He asked for opinions on the *amn roof, not the freakin' definition of it!

You guys need a break...

Dude, next time break the crack rock in half.

It's all good!!!

I'm not the one on crack!
It may be good if he wanted the DEFINITION of a moonroof, but I think he actually wanted some anecdotal evidence of them being good or bad.
And I'm the one on drugs? Pffft.

Quote:

I'm not the one on crack!
It may be good if he wanted the DEFINITION of a moonroof, but I think he actually wanted some anecdotal evidence of them being good or bad.
And I'm the one on drugs? Pffft.

You just seem to be a little...uh...tightly wound, that's all.

As is often the case with these threads, they start off with a question, it gets answered, then people go off on a tangent. Where's the fun in asking a question, getting one or two answers, then stopping immediately?

Nothing personal intended, I'm sure...just a few people "chatting over a cup of coffee".

cheers.gif

I have a moon-roof in all of our daily drivers.

The BMW and Acura moonroofs are flawless. However the moonroof in the avalanche has a rattle. This appears to be a GM thing. I went for a ride in my neighbor's Cadillac CTS with a moonroof, and it had the same rattle in the same place. Really irritating.

I can live without them. Mine are always closed, and almost always have the sun-covers closed as well. My wife uses hers fairly often in the acura. All of the cars we bought came with them, it wasn't a conscious decision to buy them.

My sons '92 Acura Integra was leakproof throughout the 14 yrs. of ownership. It always worked . It never leaked. He traded for a Mazda 3 5 dr also with moon/sun roof. DO NOT buy a car with an aftermarket moonroof. Stick with the factory installed ONLY. FWIW

I've installed an aftermarket sunroof in my old truck. No problems but it was a simple manual one (no motors). It was like installing a window in the house. It seal well. I'm not sure I would trust a more complicated aftermarked one.

I don't like that fact that some cars that list a sunroof as an option are only available with a sunroof. The basic model without the sunroof can't be found. Happened when I bought a 4Runner. I did not want it but if I want any 4Runner, it would have a sunroof. A sunroof is a good idea. I just don't want one on any car I own.

My 97 Tbird has a factory moonroof (tilt/slide). so it's almost 10 yrs old. never leaked, or failed to work. Still works really smooth, and VERY quiet operation, and that's without any special care...time to start that though, if I want it to be always the way it is now....

I don't use it a lot, but there's always this moment that when I use it, I'm really glad it's there.

Good Point, I wounder how many of the leaking sunroofs and moon roofs I saw were not installed at the factory. I know for a long time a lot of vechiles shiped as bare bones and then we "up fitted" either by an upfitter or the dealership or the owner. Once it is inthe vechile you can not tell buy looking at it cosmeticaly if it was done OEM or not????

When you buy a Honda "EX" model (which I usually find myself doing) you get the moonroof. I'd never specifically ask for a moonroof an a car, but I can tell you it is nice to have the light coming in on a fall/winter/spring day. It really makes a small car (like a Civic) seem less cramped inside. If it was just a window that didn't open I'd be fine with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back