Moog hub assembly... Made in China. Of course it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I set myself up for a huge let down. But I paid twice as much for a Moog, in the attempt to try and avoid this.

I'll just hope that this is "good" China quality and not "crappy" China quality.

This came from Amazon. Would a Moog unit from a brick and mortar, be manufactured anywhere else?

[Linked Image]

The COO does not depend on where the item is purchased

Rock Auto carries the actual OE hubs. ACDelco GM Original Equipment
smile.gif

I think it depends on the part number, meaning some parts are made in China, others in the US, others elsewhere, and so on.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Ha ha ha... Yeah, I saw that. $647 each, and with a *lifetime* warranty. And it probably still comes off the same line in China as the Moog units.

Well MOOG is owned by Federal Mongul, which is owned by Tenneco.... and the highlight of their site is:

"Efforts to Prevent Slavery and Human Trafficking in its Supply Chains"

Yeah. Dump them. Heck did the box even have "NASCAR Performance" printed on it? Do they still support NASCAR?

Last edited:
GM OE hubs are JUNK as noted by thousands of failures, many under 50 thou, at least Moog has a longer warranty + yes some imports are surely better! in todays "global" economy parts are sourced from the lowest bidder HOPEFULLY meeting a spec, the spec tolerance is very important like hardley did allowing sloppier machining causing early failures on their bikes or noisey parts "they all do that" a famous hardly reply!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Ha ha ha... Yeah, I saw that. $647 each, and with a *lifetime* warranty. And it probably still comes off the same line in China as the Moog units.

I just looked up the FW290 and it seems to be cheaper elsewhere and can be had for under $300 on eBay and Amazon. One of the cases where Rock Auto isn't the cheapest
crazy2.gif

Most of the OEM hubs for these trucks seem to be made by Iljin in South Korea.

I'd trust Timken or SKF before Moog

Originally Posted by big_guy
Moog Hubs Made in China. Howled like [censored]!!! after 40 months and 45,000 miles

Well, it did outlast the 3 year / 36000 mile warranty, didn't it?

Originally Posted by benjy
GM OE hubs are JUNK as noted by thousands of failures, many under 50 thou,

Seems like a problem with this unit style of hub bearing design in general. Regularly suffered this problem on Fords too. After 3 sets on a specific vehicle, I began looking at design flaws. My conclusion was that on the inside of these hub-bearing assys, there is a LOT OF EMPTY SPACE between the bearing races and the inadequate amount of grease installed in these things just basically works it's way towards the empty space in the middle. leaving the ball bearings inadequately lubed. The third and last set of bearing I did on an Explorer had the ABS sensor removed so a quality grease could be pumped right up inside until it started backing out. Yes, those hubs are chinese made and have not been a problem in about 4 years now.

All the GM vehicles we and everyone ever owned ate through wheel bearings like crazy. No other brand ever had to have a replacement.

Timken is still made in US for that application. Moog has a bad rep among many mechanics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
This came from Amazon. Would a Moog unit from a brick and mortar, be manufactured anywhere else?
I've read one theory that someone bought Moog and started offshoring, but they had a lot of US made inventory laying around. That explains why some Moog stuff was still good for a while (Problem Solver) and why a lot of their stuff is crap. It's just a theory, but it helps explain the mixed reputation Moog has earned. I've seen people swear by the Problem Solver line, then see a thread a week later with a Chinesium Problem Solver part.

I would avoid them now, Moog is like a box of chocolates.....

"I'll just hope that this is "good" China quality and not "crappy" China quality."

"Good Quality" and "China" Isn't that an Oxymoron ?

I bought a Moog made in China from AZ for my 2004 Silverado last year because I didn't want their house brand. Didn't have time to shop around. It looked top notch and it came with the longest warranty, 3 years. I sold the truck 2 months later so I can't report how it held up. Couple years ago I bought a genuine GM hub for my 2008 Vue. It was cheaper than other brands made in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back