Mom has atrial fibrillation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks. So, early this week mom went to the emergency room for chest pains. Turns out she has atrial fibrillation. Currently on blood thinner and another med and feels a lot better. She asked me if my doctor asked me about and I said he never has. I have lost a lot of weight and my blood psi dropped a ton.

Overall, my mom being on Keto diet like me and her being almost 70 and healthy I am thankful
wink.gif

Happy Saturday folks
smile.gif

Yes keep an eye on the blood thinner levels if it is coumadin. Some of the new stuff on the market does not require blood level checks. Prayers said.

Blood thinners are wonderful things. We found out my wife has a clotting disorder when she had a pulmonary embolism at age 33 and 8 weeks pregnant.

I lost my mom a couple years ago. She was 97. She had a heart attack when swimming when she was 87. Had a stent implanted.
She had hard time on thinners, so went to 81mg aspirin regimen instead.
Cherish all the time you can spend. Even the rough days. Also get some stories from her youth that would be lost in time.
Be well, the both of you

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Thank You all folks
smile.gif

She told me name of blood thinner, I will ask her when I talk to her tonight
wink.gif

Sound like this is mom's first time on blood thinners? There can be a lot of adjustments needed with blood thinners. Doctors want your blood as thin as possible but too thin and can start to bleed in places where you shouldn't be bleeding. My father in law is getting his dosage adjusted monthly.

Good luck to your mother. Keep on top of the dosages of all her meds and how she's feeling.

She is feeling better. The thinner is low dosage as she is very healthy and doesn't touch any junk food or sweet, salty stuff

Thanks for the info leo99

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I lost my mom a couple years ago. She was 97. She had a heart attack when swimming when she was 87. Had a stent implanted.
She had hard time on thinners, so went to 81mg aspirin regimen instead.
Cherish all the time you can spend. Even the rough days. Also get some stories from her youth that would be lost in time.
Be well, the both of you

My mother died 25 years ago this week. The last of her generation (in-law) died in 2005. I can't stress enough the importance of getting family stories out there--hopefully recorded. When the older generation's gone, there's always the first time when you say: "Who did that in 1925?"--or maybe 1965 and there's no one to tell you.

When I was a very small kid, I remember hearing that a member of my grandmother's family (she was born in 1879), died in the Australian outback. He was supposed to have drank the blood of a sheep. Probably heard this when I was five years old, no other members of my family remember it, and my cousins are all in their seventies and eighties and starting to drop off this mortal coil themselves. That story is like a little smudge in time, my grandmother probably had the details, but she died in 1959. Her mother's family had money, so it was probably a great uncle or somebody, but when I die the last proto memory will be lost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
There can be a lot of adjustments needed with blood thinners. .

Prothrombin Time and International Normalized Ratio

Lab work helps dial in therapeutic levels and dosages. A lot of variables. Patient diet and lifestyle can be modified.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by Leo99
There can be a lot of adjustments needed with blood thinners. .

Prothrombin Time and International Normalized Ratio

Lab work helps dial in therapeutic levels and dosages. A lot of variables. Patient diet and lifestyle can be modified.

Thanks for info. She is still very healthy at her age. I talk to her daily and she is much better

Thanks Everyone for prayers, thoughts and help
smile.gif

Yeah if she is on Coumadin... She will need INR checks regularly... Typically 2-3 INR is the therapeutic range... Your mom needs a medical bracelet letting other people know she is on a blood thinner... If she is unconscious for any reason in a public place... That bracelet would be very, very helpful to her. Also... If your mom falls and hits her head quite hard... SHE MUST go to a ER to have a CT scan done... To make sure she is not having a bleed internally... If there is need for any surgery.. this does complicate that a bit obviously.

As for the AFib... She needs to monitor her blood pressures... Daily... She must stay hydrated... 15 ml per pound of body weight... The medications can and will cause her pressure to drop a bit... If she is not maintaining a good fluid balance and intake... This will make her pressure lower... Then taking a AFib medication will drop it a bit farther.

The rhythm of the heart typically and normally starts in the sinus node... In atrial fibrillation it starts in the atria... This is a escape rhythm. It can become unstable especially it has what they call RVR... Rapid Ventricular Rate... This is what causes feeling terrible, light headed, dizziness and not feeling right, and shortness of breath... It also can cause a blood clot to form in the heart due to the heart no longer being an effective pump... Thus the need for blood thinners.. Medication can control it at times... In some cases like my step father he needed open heart surgery...

If she is on say Xarelto or Eliquis they both say they do not monitoring... I for one would suggest potentially getting blood checked regularly... No guarantees with anything at all times. Just my opinion there... Like Reagan said ... Trust... But verify... I would still want blood work done... At least every one to two months at the beginning of taking those medications.

I'm here for you Capt... Take care of your mom and yourself buddy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back