Molybdenum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me what the phenomenon of molybdenum is? I dream about the stuff now. I asked for it for Christmas. Every time I walk by someone using a sodium additive oil - instead of a molybdenum one - I laugh and snicker...point out that they're using an inferior product and they are no longer invited to my pool parties. I once had an in depth conversation with someone about not only the content of molybdenum in a particular brand of oil (TGMO), but the QUALITY - because at one point TGMO dropped "their" moly content a great deal - which of course caused panic and grief, but those fears and states of panic were greatly reduced when someone on the internet reassured me that the quality of the molybdenum was much higher and "more expensive" now. This same person also explained to me that my Toyota engine needed this oil and that Toyota engineers specifically and scientifically determined that the molybdenum content was necessary to ensure the quality of life that my bearing material needed (and I guess all of the 100 different engines Toyota manufactures are all the same and need it just as much).

But back to molybdenum...something I never want to go away from again. I can even type molybdenum easily! And I can't type anything easily. All I have to do is type m o l y b....and molybdenum magically appears from my iPad! This is another huge bonus this oil additive provides.

So what I'd like to know is why sodium additive oil.. dares to be sodium additive oil, rather than beloved molybdenum? Why Toyota engines just have to have it for their bearing protection. Is it more expensive than sodium as an additive? Most likely not because many leading brands are using it, other than Valvoline, Royal Purple...and Redline? Is sodium more expensive and that's why other brands aren't using it? Valvoline and Royal Purple aren't exactly cheap, and I don't see either one on sale very often. Does one provide more protection than the other? Is one more abrasive than the other? Do you go straight to [censored] if you don't use molybdenum? Does Santa sprinkle it on his reindeers? If I walk into Walmart the day after Christmas, can I get bumped to the front of the return line if I whisper to the checkout girl....hey I've got a little molybdenum, you want in on some of this? Because I can't go away from molybdenum without getting these answers...I mean I can, but I'd lose a lot sleep and probably need a cat scan. So if there's any experts that can relieve my fears, I'd love to get some answers so I can get back to my normal life (I've used up nearly all of my accured vacation and sick time at work). Thanks.

This should be good.
35.gif

I started reading the OP and had to double check if I was in the 'HUMOR' section.
While I too prefer a moly based over a sodium based oil....there are thousands (if not millions) of Toyota's running good long lives on Valvoline oils.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Are you off your meds?

Doctor put me on sodium Pentothal...I was like, why not molybdenum?

And just last month a was saying to her...hey I've been getting some pains in my lower abdomen, and she was like....alright if it doesn't go away we'll need to do a scan, it could be a blockage or something. And I was like F that - pulled a quart of Mobil 1 and poured it all over my belly button and just dropped the [censored] thing on the floor after. Should have seen the look on her face...serves her right for making me pull down my pants, and turn over on my side before planting her finger straight up my colon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
I started reading the OP and had to double check if I was in the 'HUMOR' section.
While I too prefer a moly based over a sodium based oil....there are thousands (if not millions) of Toyota's running good long lives on Valvoline oils.

I just would love a definitive answer as to what's better moly or sodium? Why is it suggested I use moly in a Toyota engine?

Originally Posted By: Gilstein
I was under the impression of sodium being a detergent additive and moly being an anti-wear additive.

At first I thought that too, but I read that the sodium as an additive is actually just a metal just like molybdenum. And that perhaps there really wasn't much difference, except cost, availability, etc.

I just find it strange that there is a few major manufacturers that don't use the moly, but instead formulate their brand with the heavy sodium base.

Moly is partly friction reduction for FE ..... to feed the CAFE monster.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
Friction reduction for FE ..... to feed the CAFE monster.
blush.gif

CAFE or not, friction reduction is a good thing, no? Maybe the oil companies are being forced to make better products due to some of these regulations. I don't know.

Last edited:
Let's see if this helps...

Some US PCMOs contain overbased Sodium Sulphonate. It's basically a cheap detergent. I might be wrong but I doubt if it does much other than mop up acid. I don't know but I suspect it was used simply to create a point of marketing differentiation.

Moly exists in many forms. Most people know about Molybdenum Disulphide which is a solid lubricant that functions a lot like graphite. However most Moly's in engine oil are in oil soluble form such as Molybdenum Dialkyl Dithio Carbamate (MoDDC).

Oil soluble Moly's are a bit like ZDDP in that they are true multi-functional additives. They're good for wear, good for oxidation control & good for engine deposits. They are also one of the few friction modifiers that actually delivers provided you add enough of it (around 1000ppm Mo in oil or 1%-ish MoDDC).

However Moly's are not without their problems. The biggest is cost. I've been away from things to know for sure but I'd guess that Moly is about ten times the cost of ZDDP on a metal in oil basis! This is hugely significant when you realise that whilst additive might only make up say 10-15% of an oil by mass, they roughly contribute about 40-50% of the overall cost of the oil.

In most global engine oil markets, Moly is used at relatively low treat rates either as a supplementary AO or AW additive. The only place you will find Moly used to its full potential is Japan. However you do need to understand that Japanese prices for engine oils are eye-wateringly high and are way beyond what other markets would tolerate.

PS, I tried to pour Moly on one of Santa's reindeers once. Sadly it died..

My doctor says sodium contributes to high blood pressure.

Miley Cyrus says moly will make you happy.

What more do you need to know?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My doctor says sodium contributes to high blood pressure.

Miley Cyrus says moly will make you happy.

What more do you need to know?

Moly? I prefer Tom Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back