Moly Grease In Wheel Bearings

I'm looking to purchase some grease in the near future. I usually stock a lithium complex grease for general greasing and a moly grease for CV joints and sliding things.

However, I've noticed quite a lot of moly greases also being advertised for wheel bearings?

I was always led to believe that moly in a roller bearing, ball bearing, needle bearing etc is a bad idea as it can stop things moving/rolling and cause issues.

Is this still the case?

Depends on amount of moly but yes, wheel bearings are better off with low (under 3%?) to no moly. If you also keep stock of a HQ non-moly grease, why consider this? On the other hand the most common consensus is if the manufacturer doesn't spec otherwise, use any NGLI# 2, GC-LB rated.

I'm sure there's bound to be a topic or two about this on BITOG.

Last edited:
Depends on amount of moly but yes, wheel bearings are better off with low (5% max?) to no moly. If you also keep stock of a HQ non-moly grease, why consider this?

I'm sure there's bound to be a topic or two about this on BITOG.

Not something I'm considering. I just found it curious that some moly greases were being advertised for CV joints and wheel bearings. :unsure:

Did have a search but didn't come up with a lot.

I've used Valvoline DuraBlend Synthetic in the front wheel bearings of my 1984 pickup truck and never had a wheel bearing failure ever since. Just, pack the bearings with all the grease it can take and the base of the hub where the bearing is attached as well.. Never be stingy on grease when it comes to wheel bearings.

Last edited:
The reason I've read is that a moly layer slows heat dissipation in the bearings. When you have something like a bearing that is spinning at relatively high RPM for hours at a time that can become an issue. Obviously, it isn't always an issue otherwise people wouldn't get away with running it.

I figure for the $6 a tube of grease cost me I'll go without the moly in the wheel bearings. Applications that call for it are where you have high shear forces like you see in heavy equipment. A tractor-trailer fifth wheel would be an application or a plethora of other big machines with metal-on-metal contact with high applied forces to the interface.

Depends on the percentage of moly and what sort of moly additive is used.

In general you don’t need it. But wheel bearings grease is often times used for other things than wheel bearings.

So.. yeah.

Wheel bearings in passenger trucks don't spin fast enough for a moly grease to harm them. We use moly formulated wheel bearing grease in our shop of fleet vehicles. Haven't had a bearing failure for 10 plus years

If the grease is approved for wheel bearing use (GC-LB) and meets the temperature requirements for your application, I see no issue using a grease that contains moly. As noted by others, for many years ford spec'd a wheel bearing grease containing 3% moly.

If in doubt - consult your service manual and see what is recommended.

Back