mold on concrete wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Do some reading on bleach and mold remediation, it's not as effective as we all think. Also read up on using borax (boraxo) for removing mold.

My understanding is that the mold instantly closes itself up upon being hit with the bleach. From what I've been told Bleach only serves to disperse the mold and it almost always comes back.

But many in here seem to have good luck with it. What is the truth in this case? Does bleach work or not?

I've used bleach to kill mold in our bathroom. It came back a few times but slowed dramatically each time.

We dont' really have adequate ventilation in there, and the shower is forever dripping, so there's constant moisture in the room. But the bleach (heavily dilued I might add) did the trick for us.

Now if you're trying to penetrate a concrete surface with the stuff, might wanna go full strength or less diluted than we did (we used probably 75% water).

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso

We dont' really have adequate ventilation in there, and the shower is forever dripping, so there's constant moisture in the room. But the bleach (heavily dilued I might add) did the trick for us.

I don't not have adequate ventilation in the bathroom either...We run a small fan blowing into the shower area for about a hour when we get done...Everything dries up just fine...We keep the small fan on top of the toilet tank nearby.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Do some reading on bleach and mold remediation, it's not as effective as we all think. Also read up on using borax (boraxo) for removing mold.

Any links?

Bleach doesn't "kill" mold, in the literal sense. It oxidizes it, burns it up. Industrial strength peroxide does the same thing.

I had a spot once that would grow mold quickly. Bleach in a spray bottle cleared it up but it came back in a few weeks. After the 3rd. time the bleach lifted the paint off the drywall, so I soaked the drywall good so that the bleach soaked in to the plaster. I let it dry for several weeks, then painted the spot with Kilz primer and regular latex paint. The mold never came back.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back