Moisture accumulation on windows (inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the car sits outside overnight, in the morning I'm starting to see moisture/water droplets on the inside of windshield (toward the dashboard) and back window (toward rear deck). From what I remember, this usually means I've got water getting into the car. Last time, I could spot this because the floor under the floor mats was wet. This time I checked and all floor appears to be dry. So, where else should I be checking for water presence?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Did you have rain on these occasions ?

Condensation ?

Yes, it rained the day before, so that's the source of the condensation that I am seeing. But my question is how do I figure out how the water is entering and where it's accumulating, since the floor is dry.

Pete this can also happen if it was really hot and humid the day before, and overnight gets really chilly. I've had this happen on several occasions, with different vehicles, here in the lovely Midwest autumns.

Originally Posted by Trav
Which car is this? Sunroof?
It's the 530i. Yes, the sunroof is suspect because the tilting mechanism has been broken for quite some time. However, the last time I had an issue with leaky sunroof, I had water on the floor. This time I don't, so that's why I'm a bit perplexed.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Pete this can also happen if it was really hot and humid the day before, and overnight gets really chilly. I've had this happen on several occasions, with different vehicles, here in the lovely Midwest autumns.
That actually was what happened - it was really hot and humid on Wed, then cooled off on Thurs, and got even colder last night. I noticed the condensation this morning.

I have seen YouTube mechanics use a smoke machine to look for leaks in a fuel system . Not shure if that could be used in your case , even if you had one .

Only other thought I have , since you think it is leaking at windows , is to take it to a place that installs automotive glass & ask them ? May not be cheap ?

Best of luck to you . :)

Only other thought I have , since you think it is leaking at windows ,
Condensation is visible on windows, but I don't know that it's leaking at windows.

Were you recently driving with the windows open, do you not turn on the AC to de-humidify the air even when it's chilly outside?

If the answer is yes then you just have moisture laden air condensing on the windows.

This is common during the winter in the southeast. I usually just button up the car, turn on the AC with high foot well heat for a couple of minutes and then I drive off with sunroof tilted open to suck out the moisture laden air.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Were you recently driving with the windows open,
No.

do you not turn on the AC to de-humidify the air even when it's chilly outside?
I don't.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Condensation is visible on windows, but I don't know that it's leaking at windows.

Condensation is " normal " , if the vehicle is parked outside , I do not know what to suggest . :-(

If parked inside / garaged , I would suggest leave the windows down an inch or so .

Condensation is " normal " , if the vehicle is parked outside , I do not know what to suggest . :-(
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was normal. In the past, I've never seen it unless I had a water leak problem, even when I used to live in humid Florida.

I mean, the only way you are going to get condensation inside is if you have moisture. Where is the moisture coming from? Just from air itself?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about fogged up windows. It's actual water droplets hanging off the windshield and back window.

I think this is normal to happen occasionally? I have seen it in all 3 vehicles and many others over the years. I sometime get it after I have driven for 20-30 minutes then enter my work site which is very close to Lake Ontario.

If it is there 1st thing in the morning, put your fan/blower on "recirculate" and that will clear it the quickest. When you have heat, that may also help but I have sometimes seen where it actually makes it worse so you need to go back to cool.

Last edited:
Yes there is pretty much always some moisture in the air . If it has been raining , most likely very high humidity .

The greater the temperature change ( after the sun goes down ) , the greater I would expect the condensation to be .

Once you het water on the carpet , then you likely have moisture down to the padding , under the carpet . May take a long time for this to dry out , after the surface of the carpet appears dry .

If this is the case , as long as you have no % prediction for rain , lower the windows a littler when it is parked outside , in the sun . Not sure I would leave it that way over night ?

Originally Posted by Trav
Which car is this? Sunroof?
It's the 530i. Yes, the sunroof is suspect because the tilting mechanism has been broken for quite some time. However, the last time I had an issue with leaky sunroof, I had water on the floor. This time I don't, so that's why I'm a bit perplexed.

More than once, I've seen water get in through the sunroof, and trickle along the headliner. It get absorbed, up to a point, but then it's moist inside.

If this is traced to dampness in the headliner or carpet padding and there is no active leak, a simple solution would be to set up a small heater in the car and slightly crack a window open. A milk can heater works well. Obviously you have to keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If this is traced to dampness in the headliner or carpet padding and there is no active leak, a simple solution would be to set up a small heater in the car and slightly crack a window open. A milk can heater works well. Obviously you have to keep an eye on it.

Be careful using a heater as it/they can cause mold if some areas, like under the carpeting are wet.

The best option is to use a wet vac, a dehumidifier, (but I don't believe they make those small enough for a vehicle?) and some fresh air.

With a heater, it will give the falsehood that things are dry but in most cases, depending on the underlay, if any, things can still be wet underneath which is where the mold will grow.

Using a heater only in a wet basement is a no no, you need a dehumidifier mostly with some heat.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by PimTac

Be careful using a heater as it/they can cause mold if some areas, like under the carpeting are wet.

The best option is to use a wet vac, a dehumidifier, (but I don't believe they make those small enough for a vehicle?) and some fresh air.

With a heater, it will give the falsehood that things are dry but in most cases, depending on the underlay, if any, things can still be wet underneath which is where the mold will grow.

Using a heater only in a wet basement is a no no, you need a dehumidifier mostly with some heat.

They do make dehumidifier packs that are for cars. I've seen them but never used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back