Modem? Router?

I am pretty ignorant about a great many things, one of which is home electronics. Several weeks ago the Spectrum technician was out (we dropped cable, just have internet and land line phone now). I currently have a modem and router combo unit, that is about five or six years old, picture attached. He measured the speed out of it and said that it was about 60 IIRC. He said that the speed going into it from Spectrum was a bit over 100 (again, IIRC).
He recommended that I get a separate modem and router.
The kids are all doing school online now. I’ve been dragging my feet on this, but figure that it would be good to get something different. I’m paying a stinking fortune for the internet, might as well get everything out of it that I can.
What does everyone recommend?
I certainly don’t need anything fancy.
The house is a two story unit, maybe 1200 square feet per level. I also have a detached shop maybe 150 feet from the router. We actually get okay signal out there now, but an improvement would be better, right?

Attachments

• B6B5BC3E-3985-421C-B24D-9845C43C1A04.jpeg
    B6B5BC3E-3985-421C-B24D-9845C43C1A04.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 35
A lot of people will try and go into far more detail than you are likely interested in (no offense, plus you indicated this stuff isn't a strong suit of yours) so I'll keep it simple and also not go crazy on the price. These should be better than your combined modem/router too. You're in a big city so if you're more comfortable going to Best Buy or Walmart, here's what they have:

Linksys MR6350, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksy...-wi-fi-5-router-black/6408413.p?skuId=6408413, $100
Netgear EX7000, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...-range-extender-black/3606023.p?skuId=3606023, $110
Linksys EA7200, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-5-router-black/6369380.p?skuId=6369380, $130

(all of these are in stock at Best Buys in the Charlotte area)

Netgear AX4, https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-...-AX3000-Wi-Fi-6-Router-RAX35-100NAS/760226420, $100
(Many more in the $100 range. Avoid low-cost routers, i.e. $75 and under, my opinion.)

Don't worry about "extenders" or access points for now...

Routers -
*Motorola MR 2600 (AC 2600, cost effective, great range) A/C standard has been out a while, there are newer standards but recently I got one because range (and stability) was key/most important and average home will never know the difference, except great performance in our 3000 sq ft house.
*Tplink AX50 (amazon) value priced higher end, dont think you will ever notice it though but if it doesnt matter to you, good reviews for the extra money.
*TPlink AX3000 (Walmart) slightly dumbed down version of the AX50 might be worth the extra $30 for the AX50

Modem - Arris SB6190
I choose Arris since Spectrum will push updates through, however TP link has a good model too. Spectrum lists on their site compatible modems

You dont need to buy your own modem but for us we preferred it. I think Spectrum charges you $5 a month for the modem where we live and where you live. At least they did unless pricing changed recently.

Anyway these are my thoughts and what I considered when purchasing what we did. Im sure many others will chime in with their favorites and thoughts. We loved our MR2600 and SB6190 with 100/12 service but with that said we just canceled Spectrum this weekend, service was great, price increases getting stupid so switched to TMobile home internet. Right now Im not using the equipment but holding onto it until we are done testing how reliable the new TMobile is.

Last edited:
Netgear AX4, https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-...-AX3000-Wi-Fi-6-Router-RAX35-100NAS/760226420, $100
(Many more in the $100 range. Avoid low-cost routers, i.e. $75 and under, my opinion.)

Don't worry about "extenders" or access points for now...
I had that exact Netgear from Walmart and it didn’t even last a year before it started dropping connections and running super slow.

I love this router, forget it even exists since it hasn’t yet given me any problems. Much better range than the Netgear it replaced too.

Spectrum does not charge for the modem. No lease fee, no modem fee. Many, many years ago they dropped this fee as they could not properly identify which modems were theirs and which were not, and they were charging the modem fee to everyone and got caught. (Ask me how I know..._)

Spectrum does charge if you lease a router from them. We bought our own. Currently on a Netgear AC1900 and its been rock solid through the work from home for two of us and two kids doing school from home. YMMV...

Excellent information everyone, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all very much.
One follow up question that came to mind:
Once I buy these two pieces of equipment, take them out of their boxes and put them on the shelf; do I need to do anything or are they "plug n play"? Do I run, like a CAT5 cable between them or is it all wireless?
(My ignorance on this stuff is now almost becoming embarrassing).
Thanks again, much appreciated.

Excellent information everyone, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all very much.
One follow up question that came to mind:
Once I buy these two pieces of equipment, take them out of their boxes and put them on the shelf; do I need to do anything or are they "plug n play"? Do I run, like a CAT5 cable between them or is it all wireless?
Assuming cable... you’ll have a power cord and the coax cable going into the modem, and an Ethernet coming out of the modem and going into the router. You should then set up the router just so it isn’t using the factory WiFi name and password.

You may also need to call your internet provider and have them whitelist your new modem. Last time I set up my xfinity internet all I had to do was verify the MAC address and serial number which are both printed on the modem.

A few more thoughts... The modem should self configure, mine has no options other than to force a reboot. If you go with an Asus router, the Quick Internet Setup (upper left) is pretty easy to use.

I really like this router, mine is in the basement level of my tri-level house under the stairwell and I can get full signal from even the 5ghz on the third floor.
1353FAB7-524B-46E1-BF67-27451D3154B6.jpeg

Spectrum does not charge for the modem. No lease fee, no modem fee. Many, many years ago they dropped this fee as they could not properly identify which modems were theirs and which were not, and they were charging the modem fee to everyone and got caught. (Ask me how I know..._)

Spectrum does charge if you lease a router from them. We bought our own. Currently on a Netgear AC1900 and its been rock solid through the work from home for two of us and two kids doing school from home. YMMV...
I should’ve said router not modem that they charge for, we did purchase our own modem as well as I’d like to pick out the equipment.

Last edited:
I had an Netgear N600 router (WNDR3700v4) which would probably be comparable to the router built into your combo unit and when I upgraded to an asus RT-AC68u the signal on 5ghz was much much better, on the old Netgear I'd lose signal outside the house, but with the RT-AC68U it worked anywhere in the yard. The house is about 1200sqft with a 2 car attached garage, the router was located pretty centrally in the house, which is on a ~10000sqft lot.

Once I buy these two pieces of equipment, take them out of their boxes and put them on the shelf; do I need to do anything or are they "plug n play"?
Why not use a modem that Spectrum provides ? For a non-techie (no offense), I'd suggest going this route. Can you buy a better modem ? Yes, but Spectrum won't give you any support when it comes to it and in fact, they like to blame customer-supplied modems. Anyway, whether you do buy one or use theirs, just re-connect it matching how your current one is connected - power and coaxial cable. Plug it in and wait a few minutes. Get the manual for it and check the lights. They key ones to look at will be "US" or "Upstream" or "Send" as well as "DS" or "Downstream" or "Receive". When those are lit up - not flashing - it typically means the modem is properly connected to the cable company. They will flash at first while it's connecting and then turn solid.

Leave the router unplugged until this completes.

Once the modem is up and running, now go ahead and connect the router. Just about all of them will come with a "quick start" guide that will walk you through how to configure it.

AJB0009 -​

Based on the posts I am seeing in here regarding modems, not all accurate.
This internet stuff is REALLY easy stuff modem and router.

You really have a few choices, my post and the one below it recommends some really good performing routers which should be far better then you are currently supplied with. I am a fan of the Motorola because of the signal power/performance/price, at the same time, the Asus Router mentioned by Skippy is a well known, highly regarded company, one of which other routers are judged so you cant go wrong with that either.
So that sums up there routers, I honestly believe these are your two choices regarding routers and foolish to rent one from Spectrum or even accept a free one.

Ok, let move onto the modem discussion because I am getting frustrated about other comments in here, however well intended are not entirely accurate and some completely inaccurate but will reply only to you directly trying to not muddy up your thread.

1. I do agree IF Spectrum will come to your home and replace your existing modem/router with a modem only and you care not to bother, then there is nothing wrong with that. I just do not know how that will work with Spectrum coming to your home for that, unless they have you bring it in to their store from and exchange it. (most likely)

2. For me personally, I select my own equipment for my home if I have that option, more so with internet, it runs 24 hours a day for years at a time. So just like anything we buy in life, I like being in control of what goes into my home for a device that is relied on 24 hours a day by the 28 devices in my home. This is why I selected my own modem. I could care less that such a device could cost 60 to $100 for something my whole house runs on day after day, year after year and could care less that Spectrum would supply an unknown to me model for free.
So on the day we had a service call, we bought a modem (mentioned in my first reply in this thread) from Best Buy.
If the Spectrum Tech had that model on the truck we would have accepted it for free and returned the other to Best Buy, but he didnt that model, so we had him install the one we bought. Simple stuff, not sure why the other comments, with that said, its strictly an option and I suspect if you can get there free one, in your case, it wont matter.
At the time, Spectrum (and maybe they still do) had a list of approved modems which must have been about 2 dozen of them. However as of this morning when you search Spectrum approved modems the page is blank and is there other support pages ...

Maybe you should hang on a month and test out TMobile Home internet, everything is free, no contract and shipped to your house in 3 days or less. Plug it in and play. If it works out good, keep it, if it doesnt, ship it back, easy stuff, built in router is powerful. $50 a month actual payment. Will not work for everyone but if it does, keep it and cancel spectrum.

I recommend the OP to go over to DSLreports and ask for advice in the Charter/Spectrum forum, a lot better to get help from other Charter users than people here that don't use Charter.

in the Charter/Spectrum forum, a lot better to get help from other Charter users than people here that don't use Charter.
1) The technical aspect on the customer's side with cable internet is pretty universal
2) I use Spectrum

One of the most important things you can do in life is acknowledge when you don’t know something. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Cheers 🍻

Bummer. I checked with T-Mobile this morning and it said that their home internet service was not available in my area yet. So, I plugged in my info and am now on their waiting list.
Seems a touch odd to me. According to cellmapper.net, a "green" tower with bands 2, 12, 66, 71 is less than five miles away from my house.

Bummer. I checked with T-Mobile this morning and it said that their home internet service was not available in my area yet. So, I plugged in my info and am now on their waiting list.
Seems a touch odd to me. According to cellmapper.net, a "green" tower with bands 2, 12, 66, 71 is less than five miles away from my house.
For an end-user like yourself, that’s a good thing, TMobile seems pretty much on the game as they roll this out and I’m sure the reason for denial is they’re not 100% confident that they could supply you with a reliable connection and speed at this time or it could simply be they’re just not prepared in your area yet.

dumping overpriced TV is a good move as most is crap for me, only football which is almost over + my beloved sirus 50's on 5! much more on line for less + i have shut down direct TV for 6 months when i had it for no charge in the past!! all depends on your priorities + $$$$. not very techie either but usually can get info ON-LINE as usual + only use my older smart phone to TALK as what phones were meant for + its OFF while DRIVING if its even with me!! TOO much technology + TOO much poor food + drink choice is making OBESITY the REAL PANDEMIC!!!

Back