Modem connects fine, browser cannot find servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having an issue here, beyond my ability to diagnose.

On my desktop at home (Windows XP Home), I can dial in to my ISP just fine. The modem connects just fine, and everything seems to be normal.

However, when I fire up a browser, the browser doesn't see the outside world (Cannot find server), even though it appears that I have a good connection to my ISP.

Where do I start looking for the problem here? It acts as if the browser can't see the internet.

Within Internet Explorer, Click on Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, and then Uncheck the automatic proxy configuration. This may have gotten checked by accident.

Last edited:
In addition to what furgoon has just suggested, check the following as well:

-1) make sure that your home computer isn't infected by some sort of virus(es) that would try to redirect your browser back home (e.g. 127.0.0.1, and that's what we call "home").

-2) you are indeed capturing a proper analog line through your modem dialup. This can be done by pinging pinging your gateway (assuming that you know your gateway IP address) and/or pinging an outside IP (I typically use http://www.novell.com)

-3) make sure that you do not suffer from imtermittent HW connectivity issues for when computer component ages, the likeliness of this causing connectivity issue is high.

-4) make sure that your modem is not at fault (or having electrical issues). As much as most IT personnel would like to believe, recently, one of my trusted 3Com/USR analog 33.6 modem died on us after 4+ yrs of faithful service (connects to our fax server). I ended up rebuiding it before it can be used again.

-5) make sure that your modem driver (if it's a Winmodem) is not corrupt or having confict with some other stuff). With Windows XP, this is a non-issue. This particular issue becomes prevalent when you are still stuck with Win95/98/Me and/or NT4, Win2K.

Good luck!

Q.

You might also try to run from the cmd window:

ipconfig /all

Then find the IP address of your default gateway and your DNS servers and see if you can ping those.

Quote:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\javaContour>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HAWK
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adap
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-A8-8B-F7-CA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:04:11
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 9:14:07 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\javaContour>

So in this example, my default router is 192.168.1.1 ( I changed the address for this example)

I would ping 192.168.1.1 to see if it responds.

C:\Documents and Settings\javaContour> ping 192.168.1.1

It should reply with information about that address responding an some amount of time. If it's working, you will get four responses.

If not, then something is wrong.

I believe this works for dial up networking. My example is my ethernet card, but dial-up networking should work the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back