remote desktop question

but of course

11MB/s.
every thing is GB rated, all cables are Cat 5e, or Cat 6.
Did you check to see what speed every interface along the packet path has negotiated? 11MB/s is approximately 100Mb/s. Maybe a physical interface negotiated 100Mb/s.

but of course

11MB/s.
every thing is GB rated, all cables are Cat 5e, or Cat 6.

OK, you need to be more clear as you are mixing up units here.

Network speeds are in bits while file sizes are in bytes. GB is gigabyte while Gb is gigabit for example.

There are 8 bits in a byte, so like I said before, 11MB/s is 88Mbps which is almost the limit of "fast" ethernet (100Mbps ethernet) so I really think something is connected at 100Mbps in your network, not gigabit (1000Mbps)

Did you check to see what speed every interface along the packet path has negotiated? 11MB/s is approximately 100Mb/s. Maybe a physical interface negotiated 100Mb/s.

This. I suspect OP has never noticed the issue since his internet only has a download speed of 100Mbps anyway.

OK, you need to be more clear as you are mixing up units here.

Network speeds are in bits while file sizes are in bytes. GB is gigabyte while Gb is gigabit for example.

There are 8 bits in a byte, so like I said before, 11MB/s is 88Mbps which is almost the limit of "fast" ethernet (100Mbps ethernet) so I really think something is connected at 100Mbps in your network, not gigabit (1000Mbps)
everything is Gigabit rated.
see the edit i put to my previous post, the machine i'm using as a server, while its ethernet adapter is listed as a "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" is also only showing a 100/100Mbps connection.
now how the heck do i change that? if i can?

see the edit i put to my previous post, the machine i'm using as a server, while its ethernet adapter is listed as a "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" is also only showing a 100/100Mbps connection.

OK, there is your problem. What is it plugged into? The router or a switch? If so, what model is that device? Do you have a different ethernet cable you can try? You can manually force it to gigabit in software but that's a bad solution.

This. I suspect OP has never noticed the issue since his internet only has a download speed of 100Mbps anyway.
16124933602.png

OK, there is your problem. What is it plugged into? The router or a switch? If so, what model is that device? Do you have a different ethernet cable you can try? You can manually force it to gigabit in software but that's a bad solution.
both connected to the same switch... it's an unmanaged Older linksys 5 port unit, but it is Gb rated.

both connected to the same switch... it's an unmanaged Older linksys 5 port unit, but it is Gb rated.
try a different port or cable. what does it do? What does the light on the switch say? Most of them have an indicator for every port and it should show which devices are connected at gigabit and which ones are connected at 100mbps.

Sometimes different Ethernet chips sets will refuse to negotiate speed and/or duplex correctly. It may be possible to force speed/duplex but you have to do it on both ends of the slow connection. Setting one side to auto and the other side to a force speed/duplex is a train-wreck every time, don't do it.

If word older is involved likely not Gb rated. What model ?
It is. Gigabit has been around for around a decade now.. and the other devices attached to it have no speed issues. I can copy between the other 2 PCs at well over 100Mbps. The "server" itself is for some reason only connecting at 100/100.
(Not using remote desktop or mapped drives, just shared folders.)
Go into Device manager -> Realtek network adapter properties and make sure efficient ethernet is not enabled.

Also, try the latest Realtek Drivers: https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/?cat=computer&plat=windows
You linked to the download for Plex media server, not realtek drivers.
I started the process for the realtek drivers earlier, but now remote desktop won't connect, but I can still access the mapped drive, and my server is still online... going to have to either bring a monitor/keyboard/mouse to it, or it to them...
Server running "headless"..

Last edited:
Huh... gonna have to try a different cable.
Brought the server down to the main desktop, hooked it up in its place... it's showing 1000/1000 Mbps...
I do have a newer unmanaged switch ( Netgear gs208) I can swap out as well...

I actually have a cable that's defective and only connects at 100mb, I should've thrown it away but it's still lingering somewhere in the basement but I'm pretty sure where I had placed it. Sometimes you'll find that certain devices for whatever reason just won't connect at their proper speeds, most times it's a software/driver issue but can be hardware related such as a bad cable or port. The worst case scenario is if the tcp/up stack gets corrupted in Windows it's a real pain and sometimes it's just easier to reinstall the OS than trying to resolve it.

I actually have a cable that's defective and only connects at 100mb, I should've thrown it away but it's still lingering somewhere in the basement but I'm pretty sure where I had placed it. Sometimes you'll find that certain devices for whatever reason just won't connect at their proper speeds, most times it's a software/driver issue but can be hardware related such as a bad cable or port. The worst case scenario is if the tcp/up stack gets corrupted in Windows it's a real pain and sometimes it's just easier to reinstall the OS than trying to resolve it.
I had one of those recently, but the shocker was that it was a brand new Startech CAT6a shielded cable. Didn't realize it was linking at 10Mbit until I tried to transfer something to the server (it's an archive). Checked the switch and saw the negotiation process fall apart (tried to establish Gig-E first, fails, fails at 100, links at 10). Swapped the cable for another, linked at 1Gbit and everything transferred at the speeds expected.

I had one of those recently, but the shocker was that it was a brand new Startech CAT6a shielded cable. Didn't realize it was linking at 10Mbit until I tried to transfer something to the server (it's an archive). Checked the switch and saw the negotiation process fall apart (tried to establish Gig-E first, fails, fails at 100, links at 10). Swapped the cable for another, linked at 1Gbit and everything transferred at the speeds expected.
Mine was the same way and a brand new cable, I'm sure the reason I kept it was that I was going to try replacing the ends on it. I have all the stuff needed but last time I did that it's been awhile and I could tell that I was out of practice but when I worked in IT I got pretty good at making cables. I have plenty of other cables and they are cheap enough from Amazon that I've been upgrading to cat8. The backbone is still cat6 which is more than good enough for anything I'd ever need it for. I have mostly 2.5gb devices now with some 10gb.

But yes RDP is horrible for transferring files... small files is ok but that's about it.

Back