Model 3 parking assist degraded

It should say something below Autosteer that if you turn it on it'll show street lights and stop signs. It won't engage autosteer anyway if you don't pull down twice on the right stalk instead of just once to set the cruise. I believe turning that on is what gave me all the extra displayed screen info.

I don’t see anything, but this is a 2023 Model 3 RWD.

image.jpg

I don’t see anything, but this is a 2023 Model 3 RWD.

View attachment 196847
I have a 2023 Model 3 as well. Turn on Autosteer and the option should appear below that.

It is possible that there's a calibration issue beyond this and it was never on. I just don't recall seeing road signs and street markings beyond the lane itself before I turned that on. I just don't know why an update would have knocked the car out of calibration. I would make sure all the cameras are good and clean on the car before driving it and see if it recalibrates then.

No blobs.
What he's showing is what a lot of people have complained about when first getting in the car in the garage. It takes a bit to get the shape of things around. Instead of having the stand in car shapes and the randomly spawning busses on the screen, it amorphously shows the shapes of things which works fine when moving between cars or in a parking lot, but tends to not know what it's doing stationary in tight places. Yours might also be different since you have a car with ultrasonic sensors.

My dad asked me to book a service appointment. He actually went to the Tesla service center in Berkeley and they (I'm just interpreting what my dad said, which can often be imprecise) said it was probably a software error where they need a technician to do a complete reload of the software. But that has to be made on the app, and my dad is lousy with the app, so he asked me to do it.

So it's a mobile appointment next week. I sent them the photo I posted here. I'll probably go over since my dad isn't great at explaining things.

My dad asked me to book a service appointment. He actually went to the Tesla service center in Berkeley and they (I'm just interpreting what my dad said, which can often be imprecise) said it was probably a software error where they need a technician to do a complete reload of the software. But that has to be made on the app, and my dad is lousy with the app, so he asked me to do it.

So it's a mobile appointment next week. I sent them the photo I posted here. I'll probably go over since my dad isn't great at explaining things.

Saw a response and they said it was normal, that it was just the new 3D rendering and it would improve with future updates. Of course my dad is rather pissed. He used to refuse to update his phone apps because he didn't like them if menus or the look and feel were changed.

The service visit was cancelled.

Apparently there’s a software update (2023.44.30.8) downloading although the release date was a week ago. I think it includes a park assist upgrade, so maybe that will get rid of the blobs and look more like the real world.

Apparently there’s a software update (2023.44.30.8) downloading although the release date was a week ago. I think it includes a park assist upgrade, so maybe that will get rid of the blobs and look more like the real world.
I'm on 2023.44.30.8 I have not seen the blobs, so who the heck knows what happened?

Not sure really, other than a Tesla rep said it was expected for the time being but would be improved. I’ll go there and have a look when the update is complete.
I noticed a new screen item as I pulled into the garage today. There is a 5 tier shelf filled with stuff; the screen displayed a locker I think and 15" or whatever away. Before it just showed the distance.

I think this update includes the new driver nag to spy on the sleepy heads. It uses the rear view mirror camera.

OK. Software update is done. Went over and drove it for a few miles in daylight to assess. Not sure how it would work when it's dark. It’s not saying anything about camera calibration now. It started out exiting the garage with all the obstructions still looking like a blur, but their garage has a lot of random stuff on shelves, cabinets, and racks.

In the open it got better. Still kind of a blur on the sides where their driveway is hemmed in by hedges or walls, but my car parked on the side of their driveway looked closer to a 3D model of the shape. A little bit fuzzy, but not that cloudy mess for other obstructions. On the road it’s now showing other cars with a virtual representation again. I don’t remember it showing them before, but now there are trash cans and traffic cones depicted, although sometimes it wasn’t actually a traffic cone. Trash cans are looking pretty accurate, and the image is of the standard square roller type. There were a lot of trash cans out because today was trash collection day and people hadn't taken them in.

I'm still not seeing anything inside the garage other than the blurry mess. It gives a warning to stop, but it's well before reaching the wall of the garage. No estimated distance though.

OK. Software update is done. Went over and drove it for a few miles in daylight to assess. Not sure how it would work when it's dark. It’s not saying anything about camera calibration now. It started out exiting the garage with all the obstructions still looking like a blur, but their garage has a lot of random stuff on shelves, cabinets, and racks.

In the open it got better. Still kind of a blur on the sides where their driveway is hemmed in by hedges or walls, but my car parked on the side of their driveway looked closer to a 3D model of the shape. A little bit fuzzy, but not that cloudy mess for other obstructions. On the road it’s now showing other cars with a virtual representation again. I don’t remember it showing them before, but now there are trash cans and traffic cones depicted, although sometimes it wasn’t actually a traffic cone. Trash cans are looking pretty accurate, and the image is of the standard square roller type. There were a lot of trash cans out because today was trash collection day and people hadn't taken them in.

I'm still not seeing anything inside the garage other than the blurry mess. It gives a warning to stop, but it's well before reaching the wall of the garage. No estimated distance though.
It's a blurry mess regardless. Sometimes it looks like the objects around you. I hate it and it sucks and the simulated cars at least looked better.

It's a blurry mess regardless. Sometimes it looks like the objects around you. I hate it and it sucks and the simulated cars at least looked better.

I noticed that it switches between the virtual representation and 3D on the fly. I believe it's interpreting whether or not someone might be attempting to park before going into 3D mode. There were a few times that I slowed down with objects to my right and it just switched.

My car has had the objects for a long time. Bike riders, cones, etc but no blobs. I have EAP, perhaps that's why?
I don't look at (or use) the tablet much, but passengers get a kick outta it.

My car has had the objects for a long time. Bike riders, cones, etc but no blobs. I have EAP, perhaps that's why?
You still have the other sensors. That's probably why. Mine used to do that but was very jumpy looking with the camera only setup. The camera only idea is just bad. It's supposed to only do it at low speed. If I remember I'll take a picture next time I drive the car.

I might not have noticed all the details before, but there definitely were car, trucks, and bicycles. But they were completely gone - possibly after the previous software update. All I saw was virtual lane lines. But then the blurs.

Park assist used to be more 2D with solid lines indicating where the camera and computer thought might be obstructions. But the really frustrating thing is that it does indicate STOP but way too far away. And then the blurs get orange where it perceives it's close to an obstruction. But the rear bumper in the representation is already touching the orange part even though it's about 4 feet from the back of the garage wall. Just getting a STOP seems inadequate because the space in the garage is maybe 4.5 feet more than the length of the car.

Back