Mobilgrease XHP 222 or equivalent?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new piece of farm machinery (McHale round baler) that specs Mobil grease XHP 222 (not XHP 222 Special) or equivalent NLGI number 2 grease. I have been attempting to locate this locally but I am finding it difficult so far. I am going to try another local lubricant supplier tomorrow. My questions are there a few greases I can get locally and I am wondering if they are equivalent. I have downloaded the spec sheets and find them somewhat confusing.

My first grease I can easily get locally (cheaper than online ordering XHP 222) is the red Mobil 1 grease. From looking at the data sheets it appears this is close or exceeds the XHP 2222 or am I reading the data sheets incorrectly. In reading on this forum though it seems the Mobil 1 grease leaks red liquid out, is this a problem that I should be worried about?

The second grease I found yesterday is Valvoline Cobalt #2 grease. It is blue like the XHP 222 but I really am not able to tell if it is in fact equivalent to XHP 222 and the numbers on the spec sheet do not seem to match.

The other one I was considering was Mystik Synthetic grease, but then found out our local supplier on carries the semi-synthetic and that does not look like it has equivalent specs as the XHP 222.

So, I am here asking for help in navigating these confusing waters.

Is Mobil 1 grease better than the XHP 222? Or should I go with the Valvoline Cobalt, or keep trying to find the specific XHP 222? Or is there another suggestion?

Thanks for any input in this!

I am a fan of Valvoline Full Synthetic grease…

You can find it at Rock Auto cheap, but watch the shipping…

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new piece of farm machinery (McHale round baler) that specs Mobil grease XHP 222 (not XHP 222 Special) or equivalent NLGI number 2 grease. I have been attempting to locate this locally but I am finding it difficult so far. I am going to try another local lubricant supplier tomorrow. My questions are there a few greases I can get locally and I am wondering if they are equivalent. I have downloaded the spec sheets and find them somewhat confusing.

My first grease I can easily get locally (cheaper than online ordering XHP 222) is the red Mobil 1 grease. From looking at the data sheets it appears this is close or exceeds the XHP 2222 or am I reading the data sheets incorrectly. In reading on this forum though it seems the Mobil 1 grease leaks red liquid out, is this a problem that I should be worried about?

The second grease I found yesterday is Valvoline Cobalt #2 grease. It is blue like the XHP 222 but I really am not able to tell if it is in fact equivalent to XHP 222 and the numbers on the spec sheet do not seem to match.

The other one I was considering was Mystik Synthetic grease, but then found out our local supplier on carries the semi-synthetic and that does not look like it has equivalent specs as the XHP 222.

Is Mobil 1 grease better than the XHP 222? Or should I go with the Valvoline Cobalt, or keep trying to find the specific XHP 222? Or is there another suggestion?

1st congratulations on the McHale baler it's a fantastic round baler!!! Did a search on XHP 222 and the ONLY one that comes up is the Mobil One, so it may have some specific qualities for bearings, I think that any grease with same or similar formulation would do the job you may have to grease more frequently and keep a closer eye on them, but it ought to work. Amazon has it for sale and other online retailers.

Hello everyone,

A little late but the the XHP2XX series are made with a 220 cSt oil where as the more commonly found Mobil 1 grease is made with a 150 cSt oil. I would stay away from moly fortified grease if the manufacturer did not call for it.

Back