Mobil1: Turbo Diesel Truck vs. Delvac 1 ESP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
That's why Delvac 1 costs $45/5qt and M1 $25/5qt.

Around this neck of the woods, Rural King has it for $21.99 for a gallon, they also have the 5 gallon bucket. Meijer has it for $22 a gallon. Advance Auto is selling it as well, but, it is more there, I think around $30 a gallon.

Delvac 1 ESM 5w40 has been $24.50 at Mills Fleet Farm (Wisconsin and Minnesota) but for a few more days on sale for $22.99. And there is a rebate running through the end of the year. It seems like a lot of the regional retailers can sell it for less than the national chains or the truck stops.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
As Tiredtrucker already said, a brother of mine does fleet work with a large trucking company and explains that they to do not use any synthetic in the crankcase. It works wonders in the transmissions, hubs and diffs. But with modern engine oil being great quality they use UAO and can really extend it out, enough that the economics of the synthetic do not compare.
That is a fact.

This thread is in the Passenger Car Motor Oil forum, meaning oils for passenger cars and not for large heavy-duty trucks. The conventional oils used in big trucks are not suitable for most modern small diesel engines, especially those with turbochargers which are lubricated by the engine oil.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
This thread is in the Passenger Car Motor Oil forum, meaning oils for passenger cars and not for large heavy-duty trucks. The conventional oils used in big trucks are not suitable for most modern small diesel engines, especially those with turbochargers which are lubricated by the engine oil.
Why?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Why?

Conventional oil is bad for turbochargers.

Why?

Oh.

Why?

I guess all those semi turbos with 1,000,000 miles on them with conventional 15W40 were just really lucky. My old '82 300D turbodiesel never saw synthetic either, and the original turbo was still spinning merrily along when I sold it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I guess all those semi turbos with 1,000,000 miles on them with conventional 15W40 were just really lucky. My old '82 300D turbodiesel never saw synthetic either, and the original turbo was still spinning merrily along when I sold it.

As I posted above on 9/06/17, "The conventional oils used in big trucks are not suitable for most modern small diesel engines, especially those with turbochargers which are lubricated by the engine oil."

I do not think older Mercedes diesels like yours, or heavy duty diesel trucks, have turbos lubricated by the engine oil. So they are presumably just fine with conventional oil in the crankcase.

Why?

I highly doubt its bad, it may have more propensity for coking if you don't let the turbo cool down after driving compared to a full synthetic (group III and above) which "may" lessen coking in the turbo due to better base stocks, etc.

I do not think older Mercedes diesels like yours, or heavy duty diesel trucks, have turbos lubricated by the engine oil. So they are presumably just fine with conventional oil in the crankcase.

I've never seen a turbocharger that wasn't lubricated by engine oil.

Wow.. Mercedes turbodiesel is not lubricated by engine oil.What a claim.

No lubricating oil is required .... or a special oil in 'turbocharging' oil is being used ?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I've never seen a turbocharger that wasn't lubricated by engine oil.

All are lubricated and cooled by oil. Modern are primarily cooled by the coolant. Old petrol engine turbos didn't like mineral ( conventional) oils, and modern don't too, both small diesels and petrols.
Older diesels (small and big) are fine with mineral. Temperatures are lower and engines are way less power dense.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
That's why Delvac 1 costs $45/5qt and M1 $25/5qt.

Around this neck of the woods, Rural King has it for $21.99 for a gallon, they also have the 5 gallon bucket. Meijer has it for $22 a gallon. Advance Auto is selling it as well, but, it is more there, I think around $30 a gallon.

Delvac 1 ESM 5w40 has been $24.50 at Mills Fleet Farm (Wisconsin and Minnesota) but for a few more days on sale for $22.99. And there is a rebate running through the end of the year. It seems like a lot of the regional retailers can sell it for less than the national chains or the truck stops.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-Delvac-1-ESP-5W40-Gal/167510327

Thanks for the tip Johnson - got 3 jugs Delvac 1 with free shipping - can't even get close to that locally ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Thanks for the tip Johnson - got 3 jugs Delvac 1 with free shipping - can't even get close to that locally ...

Your welcome if I had more room in my stash I'd have picked up about five jugs of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back