Mobil1 answer to a simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I recently acquired a 2010 Mazda CX7. Having a direct injection engine, i am trying to find a synthetic oil with lower NOAC volatility.

I am currently running PP and i was thinking to try Mobil1 next time..so here i am on mobil1.com trying to find the product spec for mobil1 5w-30 and read the NOAC volatility. There is none specified in the product data sheet. I tought..well ok i am going to shoot them an email and kindly ask for this info. This is the response i got from them:

This information is considered proprietary and not available to the general public.

-- Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

email them back: "Thanks for getting back to me. After doing a brief Google search I managed to find the information I was looking for on the AMSOIL website. Thanks for the phone number, but I won't be needing it."

Ha

K

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
email them back: "Thanks for getting back to me. After doing a brief Google search I managed to find the information I was looking for on the AMSOIL website. Thanks for the phone number, but I won't be needing it."

Ha

K

Good idea!! Sincerely, i did not expect this kind of answer, but at least now i learned to stay away from them in the future

That's all I've ever gotten from Mobil when I ask a question, unfortunately. It's one of the reasons I don't purchase their products.

I'm surprised they did not refer you to their new flavor version;

Mobil 1 DI for direct injection engines
20.gif

I'm sure its coming soon. Better to make different bottles/labels then answer the customers question.

I guess you came up with a question that their marketing tech person did not have a answer to so they popped the generic answer.

Lets see for fun, 1qt of slick 50, mmo, stp, duralube and 1qt of regular 30 wt oil, see what would happen to an engine, its a thought

Originally Posted By: Rand
Its funny because their oil has one of the better ratings in that category.

True. They should still publish it.

I asked the same question of Mobil and Castrol for Castrol's Edge product and both gave the same answer as Mobil gave the OP.

Originally Posted By: buster

That's the odd thing. How many people ON THE PLANET can even integrate the information and use it against them ..if in fact it was inferior to some other product. I'm sure that they're 100% competitive among like products ..if not a tad better.

There's no down side to sharing this data. It used to be on their data sheets IIRC. It's not like some competitor is NOT going to have the resources to figure it out on their own and no reason to figure that the average consumer is going to seek it out.

Then again, BITOG may be a very small tip of a very big iceberg. BITOG may be Neo.

Mr. Smith: BITOG is a disease ..a virus ..and withholding information is the cure.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
That's all I've ever gotten from Mobil when I ask a question, unfortunately. It's one of the reasons I don't purchase their products.

Their replys to questions I had asked a year or so ago is why I stopped using their products as well. No skin off their teeth, and I started using a better product IMO for less money. Win win I guess.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Their replys to questions I had asked a year or so ago is why I stopped using their products as well. No skin off their teeth, and I started using a better product IMO for less money. Win win I guess.

I will keep using Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: buster

That's the odd thing. How many people ON THE PLANET can even integrate the information and use it against them ..if in fact it was inferior to some other product. I'm sure that they're 100% competitive among like products ..if not a tad better.

There's no down side to sharing this data. It used to be on their data sheets IIRC. It's not like some competitor is NOT going to have the resources to figure it out on their own and no reason to figure that the average consumer is going to seek it out.

Then again, BITOG may be a very small tip of a very big iceberg. BITOG may be Neo.

Mr. Smith: BITOG is a disease ..a virus ..and withholding information is the cure.

Yeah exactly.

Over the years I have called and e-mailed Mobil tech with questions and they have always been courteous and replied with the info I either need or that they could tell me.
If PP, Valv, and other companies provide NOAC info then XM should as well in my view.
As for information in general all companies will hedge their bets on something.

Puralator beat me out of a $6.00 rebate last year but that doesn't mean I will not use their products again. If fact I have.

Exactly.
I got silly and bought some largely unnecessary Delvac during a BOGO sale a while back, but don't plan to give XOM any more money in the future.

Their attitude is sorta sad in a way. By all accounts they DO make some very high quality oils. If the company would treat its customers with some basic respect, I'd be happy to buy their stuff.

I'm sure there are other factors to consider, but when just looking at NOACK numbers, Valvolines full-synthetic are very decent, a tad better than Pennzoil Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back