Mobil1 3 types which one for my 800hp Z06?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate your input...Will talk to the tune who built the engine, research the Red Line products and report my findings...
cheers.gif

I dont see why GC wouldnt b e an optimal choice here... if available.

Id also consider one of the amsoil products, like their HDD 5w-30. Likely cat converters arent the biggest issue here, and the add package and syn basestock will work well.

Redline will be nice and thick at the bearings but flow within spec through the engine, it may be a good option, but IMO redline chemistry and wear profile isnt understood well enough yet.

JMH

dbvettez06-- I would consider something other than M-1 maybe Amsoil or redline or Motul. Also if it is a Z06 that you have there is a oil temp read out on the "DIC"--Press guages button and scroll through. I would personnally not go for a 15W or 20W unless this is going to be soley a track car because if it is fully forged you probably have fully floated wrist pins and the "thicker" more slowly flowing oils could cause you to gall those wrist pins if the oil is not allowed to warm-up to full operating temps before you drive with any spirited behavior at all and that could be a real pain for a daily driver. I would check with your engine builder for clearances and recommendations. Also, in my humble opinion that engine is always under more stress than a NA engine or a turbo setup because that blower is tuning all of the time and force feeding from start-up--but only minimally at lower rpms.

UPDATE.....Talked to engine builder...His thoughts where that "they use a lot of Mobil1 in their cars"... He said the fact that most guys with ultra hi performance cars, will change the oil every 3-4000 miles, Mobil1 will work great...If extending the oil change to 6-7000 miles, then a Red Line/Amsoil product would be better... Seems to me, that using a Red Line product, and the fact i only put 5000 miles on the car per year would make sence...Extra protection, which is probably over kill, but peace of mind..Am i missing anything?
cheers.gif

I would suggest you think about an after market radiator, reprogrammed cooling fans, oil cooler, and a 160 thermostat. I am quite sure the temps you quote as normal will creep up very fast,even in cool weather to 220 at least especially in slow traffic if you are using OEM cooling configuation. If you use that motor for which it was built you will likely see much higher oil temps.

quote:

Originally posted by Oldschool:
I would suggest you think about an after market radiator, reprogrammed cooling fans, oil cooler, and a 160 thermostat. I am quite sure the temps you quote as normal will creep up very fast,even in cool weather to 220 at least especially in slow traffic if you are using OEM cooling configuation. If you use that motor for which it was built you will likely see much higher oil temps.

Understatement of the year! (with all due respect) His tuner/builder, if worth anything at all, I'm sure has addressed these issues/items. BTW, Z, who was the builder/tuner?? I'm gonna take a real wild guess and say Lingenfelter, maybe??

quote:

UPDATE.....Talked to engine builder...His thoughts where that "they use a lot of Mobil1 in their cars"... He said the fact that most guys with ultra hi performance cars, will change the oil every 3-4000 miles, Mobil1 will work great

You mean all that engine noise, and valvetrain wear won't ruin the engine using Mobil 1? Does this engine builder perform UOA's and cry when he sees 30ppm of Fe?
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Nick29:

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I normaly am not a big supporter of following OEM recomendations. I would follow the visosity recomendations though in this application until the warranty is up. If you had to rebuild this engine out of warranty you are looking at a few thousand dollars.

If his car is supercharged and making 800hp, he threw out the warranty a long time ago.

RIGHT!! Even more so since they went inside and built the bottom end/short block with forged components to handle the stresses of high boost.
Also, if he still has cats on this monster, they are probably not stock/OEM, hence he has little to worry about by using a very high moly/zinc/phos./etc. add pack/oil. More likely than not, they are (again, if he has them at all) super high flow metal matrix units such as Random Tech. If he can get his hands on some of the M1 racing oils (and if they have enough detergency for his use), I'd use that. If not, Redline 10W-40, 5W-40 or one of the upper level Motuls of the same weights.
Believe me, he has spent a wee bit more than a "few thousand dollars" on this powerplant already, he cannot afford to "cheap out" on oils now (this is definitely NOT one of your penny-a-dozen Camrys or Corollas)!!
wink.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
I vote for RedLine in this application. What are the maximum oil temps you see?

I don't drive when it over 80 degrees out, hot as h#ll with black interior....Normal temps [oil] would be 195-208....

dailydriver--understatement of the year???? -with all due respect?? Hmm! The individual asking the question and making responses to clarification questions suggests by the content of the statements that he may not have the experience with this GM variant or the stesses "force feed" motors are placed under, or at least the communication with the builder is minimal. I doubt that if Lingenfelter was the builder that there would have been any question about what oil to use or a discussion of the various M-1 flavors several of which should not even entire the discussion considering the engine inquestion. But that is just my opinion.

quote:

Will answer some questions..Thermastat was changed to a 170, coolant will run at 176 on a 80 degree day...Oil cooler yes, reprogrammed fans are also engauged..The stock rad had done an excellent job with keeping coolant in check, GM did a great job with the stock Z....I had thought there would be issues, but am very pleased with the results!
Thanks for the input ....

quote:

dailydriver--understatement of the year???? -with all due respect?? Hmm! The individual asking the question and making responses to clarification questions suggests by the content of the statements that he may not have the experience with this GM variant or the stesses "force feed" motors are placed under, or at least the communication with the builder is minimal. I doubt that if Lingenfelter was the builder that there would have been any question about what oil to use or a discussion of the various M-1 flavors several of which should not even entire the discussion considering the engine inquestion. But that is just my opinion.

Yeah, sorry, you do make some good points/arguements there!

quote:

Originally posted by dailydriver:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Is your Z06 a C5 or C6 by the way?

Yes, all of us LSxx fans/owners want.need to know!

It is an 01Z06....Other than re-placing a clutch, which the dealer screwed up and later refunded me the entire cost, not one issue!!

dailydriver--apology accepted---peace!!

Now dbvettez06-- I still have some concerns about your engine cooling especially if you track the car. Many report oil temps in the 250+ range with a worrisome drop in oil pressure. Oil cooler should help if it is a competent one. What have you done with the suspension? Traction is an issue even with Stock Z06's. Also wheel-hop is an issue particularly with 01s--this can destroy your rear real fast.

quote:

dbvettez06--Also wheel-hop is an issue particularly with 01s--this can destroy your rear real fast.

Quite right! I do hope he has some of those super heavy duty 300M alloy half shafts, as well as an upgraded ring & pinion/center section. I've seen those things twisted like barber shop poles (or snapped
shocked.gif
), as well as serious carnage inside the Getrag "pumpkin" from much less rear wheel power levels than dbvettezO6 is running!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back