Mobil1 3 types which one for my 800hp Z06?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seem to be 3 types of Mobil1 oil ...While i do overdo it on oil changes 3500-4000 miles, along with K/N oil filter, i was wondering if there any advantages to using the extended Mobil1 over the regular stuff.....Wat exactely is the difference in the Mobil1 types?
confused.gif

Mobil 1 EP is 15,000 OCI as stated (more additives?).
Mobil 1 is "regular" synthetic.
Mobil 1 7500 is synthetic blend.
Mobil 1 Clean 5000 is dino.

I am getting ready to switch to Mobil 1 EP with an OEM filter every 5K for my Matrix. Not quite the 800 hp but I still want the best (Some peoples opinion anyway.)

Another factor, the engine is super charged, stroked/forged etc...So most of the time , it is not under much stress, but, when right foot is heavy.....
cool.gif

I would use the GF4 rated M1EP! We do not want premature valve train wear. As much as that Z06 is costing you it is worth it to protect it!The cam on the Z06 is fairly agressive.

I normaly am not a big supporter of following OEM recomendations. I would follow the visosity recomendations though in this application until the warranty is up. If you had to rebuild this engine out of warranty you are looking at a few thousand dollars.

My big problem with the Z06 is that their is not enough of them on road with UOA to back up anything radical. We have no idea how this engine is going to behave in the long run. The modifications in design to the Z06's engine from previous Corvete motors or any other GM production engnie are many.

Now after my warranty was up I would definately start playing around with various viscosities in search of a better combination.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
Mobil 1 7500 is synthetic blend. Mobil 1 Clean 5000 is dino.

These are not Mobil One products, just plain old Mobil products.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx

Bob, the original responder's point, which you kinda capture, is that it's Mobil Clean 7500, not Mobil 1 7500. Hence the "there is no Mobil 1 7500 " comment. A nit that bothers some folks, I guess. (Or Mobile instead of Mobil....)
cheers.gif

I concur with the Mobil 1 selection, especially at the low OCI. And the oil temperature gauge might be overkill.... Of course, this is coming from somebody with an aftermarket supercharger and oil cooler!
grin.gif

Friends 402 LS2 is having great results with M1 5W40. He's making around 550rwhp N/A. My LS1 w 420rwhp seems to like the M1 5W-40 mix also. Both cars see the track and hard driving pretty often.

M1 5w-40 has shown some of the lowest wear of any oil on this site. I'd use that.

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:

quote:

Originally posted by wantin150:

There is no such thing as Mobil 1 Clean 5000 or Mobil 1 7500.

I appreciate you clearing that up for me. I guess I should have stated that the:

Mobil 1 EP has the Advanced SuperSyn System.
Mobil 1 has the SuperSyn System.
Mobil 7500 is a synthetic blend.
Mobil Clean 5000 is plain old dyno.
Is there a 3rd Mobil 1 that I missed?

I'm sorry that we had to split hairs. You get a lot farther with a correction with explaination than just a correction.

I'd use the EP or 5w40. I would not use regular M1 or the T&SUV 5w30 because the ZDP is lower.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I normaly am not a big supporter of following OEM recomendations. I would follow the visosity recomendations though in this application until the warranty is up. If you had to rebuild this engine out of warranty you are looking at a few thousand dollars.

If his car is supercharged and making 800hp, he threw out the warranty a long time ago.

Not trying to split hairs, but for clarity (or to muddy things more) Mobil also has the "truck and suv" line. They don't have PDSs posted yet so we don't know much about them.

Did anyone miss the Fram filter comment. I think that deserve more attention than the type of Mobil 1. Personally, I would use 15w50 unless there is an oil cooler.

quote:

Originally posted by wantin150:

There is no such thing as Mobil 1 Clean 5000 or Mobil 1 7500.

I, personally, would stick to the M1 "regular" for engines that are not worn, and do not smoke and do not consume oil.

Depending upon how the engine journals were clearanced in the 800 HP build, you could run 5W-30 through 15W-40. You engine builder can advise here.

One thing you should do is to get an oil temperature gauge, as long as the engine has 'normal factory' clearances and as long as the oil stays below 260dF then the 5W-30 oils will be just fine. If your oil runs above 285dF I suggest more oil cooler surface area and/or more airflow through the existing coolers rather than moving into the 15W-50 grade oils.

For an engine like this only a synthetic sould be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back