Mobil1 0w16 AFE 5015 miles, '07 Dodge Dakota 3.7L

1-year OCI, short warm-up

Attachments

• Screenshot (538)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (538)_LI.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 445
For the miles, wear seems high. Bearings are aluminum; and the bearing wear is higher than it should be, probably from too thin an oil.
Now, will it actually kill the engine? Most likely not.
Darn it; now I’m tempted to try this on my G5 commuter, where any mileage booster I can get is worth it. I’ve seen lots of reports where 20-weights work great in the 2.2 Ecotec…it would seem 0W-16 would work as well…hmmm…

Interesting experiment. What is driving you to run an oil below the viscosity specified for this engine?

The report is OK but............ Oil's too thin. The starting vis for 0-16 AFE is 7.2 and the exit vis after 6800 miles is 7.15? Can't be. Looks like the oil vis thinned and is on it's way back up + it used 12 oz. I'd run 0-20 AFE next time. JMO

The report is OK but............ Oil's too thin. The starting vis for 0-16 AFE is 7.2 and the exit vis after 6800 miles is 7.15? Can't be. Looks like the oil vis thinned and is on it's way back up + it used 12 oz. I'd run 0-20 AFE next time. JMO
The oil is likely close to a monograde, being almost entirely PAO-based:
Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 2.38.48 AM.png

So there'd be little to nothing in it to shear.

I defer to your expertise, but, the oil had to have sheared more than .05 in 6800 miles. AFE is not a long run oil.

I defer to your expertise, but, the oil had to have sheared more than .05 in 6800 miles. AFE is not a long run oil.
For one thing it’s a Blackstone report. There is no reliable way to tell if a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear or fuel dilution. More so, Blackstone has also shown they cannot reliably measure viscosity so you’ve got two issues with ascribing something on that report to any one problem. As Overkill noted, there is very little VII in that oil and it’s these molecules that exhibit shear not the oil. Oil molecules do not shear.

Back