Mobil1 0W-40 • 7,027mi • 2019 4Runner 28k

It's a Hyundai 1.6 turbo which I tend to drive with spirit.
When I had a TGDI (2016 WRX), I decided against M1 0W-40 due to all the Ca. There's some research that's shown a link between high Ca and LSPI.

It really didn't to be honest. We were towing a camper with it by the time it had a little over 1000 miles on it, and since then we've been very consistent with what we ask of it.
I just noticed that wear numbers were down a bit with the M1 vs the QS, but that could be explained by wear tapering off with mileage (which tends to happen). No doubt that the M1 0W-40 works well in the 1GR-FE.

I've run VME 0W-20, M1-AP 0W-20, and M1-EP 10W-30 in ours so far (we have around 25K on our 2021), and I have some M1-ESP 0W-30 to try in it next (available for jug at AAP).

When I had a TGDI (2016 WRX), I decided against M1 0W-40 due to all the Ca. There's some research that's shown a link between high Ca and LSPI.

I just noticed that wear numbers were down a bit with the M1 vs the QS, but that could be explained by wear tapering off with mileage (which tends to happen). No doubt that the M1 0W-40 works well in the 1GR-FE.

I've run VME 0W-20, M1-AP 0W-20, and M1-EP 10W-30 in ours so far (we have around 25K on our 2021), and I have some M1-ESP 0W-30 to try in it next (available for jug at AAP).

I'd love to see those reports if/when you get them. I've seen another owner run Amsoil 0W-30 in theirs with what looks like nice results and he seems to do some pretty serious cross-country trips with it.

In a Hyundai 1.6 TGDI engine you should be looking for something that has a certification/approval that includes LSPI testing, API SN+ or SP, GM Dexos, MB229.52, etc...

Back