Mobil talks about LSPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
If this were true, why are all major brand formulas changing in advance of SN Plus?

Mobil 1 has been using the low CA and MG combination for a long time now, while many others are now switching over to that this of combination for SN+.

I’m sure Mobil has changed its formulation in the past eight years, perhaps more than once. Their statement makes me wonder about how they came to that conclusion

Pim that was my point... and volk, several low-tier conventional oils have been low Ca and Mg for way longer than Mobil and they aren't claiming they saw a future.

Also, although I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, GDI has been around much longer than this LSPI deal; VW has had TGDI for at least 18 years, and just now we're needing a special oil? GDI History

I think they are just trying to keep it simple rather than bringing up all of the “detail permutations” of the last eight years. I have no reason to doubt them.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Mobil 1 haters will come and say foolish things despite them not working in research.

And fanboys will believe in the absence of evidentiary proof... it's all good, to each his own.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Mobil 1 haters will come and say foolish things despite them not working in research.

And fanboys will believe in the absence of evidentiary proof... it's all good, to each his own.

Yep. Let’s leave the M1 hate accusations at the door for once.

I just posted a huge reply but this site just hiccuped and I lost it. Too bad.

I would say that avoiding high load low rpm conditions is a function of the ECU, not of the oil. And the sentence “LSPI is not something your engine was designed to do“ should had been “LSPI is not something your engine was intended to do”.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: nap
I would say that avoiding high load low rpm conditions is a function of the ECU, not of the oil. And the sentence “LSPI is not something your engine was designed to do“ should had been “LSPI is not something your engine was intended to do”.

laugh.gif

well said!

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Yep. Let’s leave the M1 hate accusations at the door for once.

Haha why? This thread exists only to point us to their website and brag about their low Ca. If anything we need as much 'hate accusations' as possible to even the playing field
laugh.gif

IMO, the problem has several sources, oil being one of them. Poor fuel is another. Also, computer settings that lug the engine in favor of fuel economy is another and a big one at that. The problem happens when those holes in the Swiss cheese line up.

M1 may be patting themselves on their backs but that’s their perogative. If you don’t like it then move on.

Not hating... but also not buying GDI engines or M1's fantastical futuristic foretelling. I'd have been more convinced if they said something like, "we've been researching how to best control LSPI since 2010, and have evaluated our competitors' formulations and developed our brand-new formula to address those oils' shortcomings to best protect your engine. Buy our oil!"

Not hating... but also not buying GDI engines or M1's fantastical futuristic foretelling. I'd have been more convinced if they said something like, "we've been researching how to best control LSPI since 2010, and have evaluated our competitors' formulations and developed our brand-new formula to address those oils' shortcomings to best protect your engine. Buy our oil!"

Maybe if M1 had rep here like SOPUS does that would give out free oil too
smile.gif

Didn't mean you specifically SubieRudyRoo.......I just don't get how some people can "hate" some oils. "Don't use it."

LSPI is a DI thing. So I just stay with port injection, or heavens forbid, cab's
laugh.gif

Was never a M1 hater, but have owned a lot of engines that did not get along with it sound-wise on cold start. Can't hate a company you own stock in
laugh.gif

Pim that was my point... and volk, several low-tier conventional oils have been low Ca and Mg for way longer than Mobil and they aren't claiming they saw a future.

Also, although I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, GDI has been around much longer than this LSPI deal; VW has had TGDI for at least 18 years, and just now we're needing a special oil? GDI History

What low-tier conventional oils have been using the calcium and magnesium combination in the recent years? Many have used the calcium/sodium combination for low-tier oils but I don't remember ever seeing any low-tier conventional using Magnesium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back