Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 Spec Change

Just did a regular check in on the oil I use, Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30. The 100* viscosity is now 8.4! What the heck is that? I tow to the max with this truck (2013 Silverado). I guess I’ll be switching back to Mobil 1 soon. Do people think Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 would be good in a 4.8 LS with VVT? Despite not technically being Dexos certified? Back in the regular Mobil 1 Dexos 1 Gen 2 days I had a bunch of valve clicking/ticking (thats what makes me think of using ESP).

Can you share the link? A cSt @100° of 8.4 falls into a Xw20 range, not 5W-30

Edit: I see it. That's a publishing error and probably should read 9.4. 8.4 can never be a 30 which range from 9.3 to

Last edited:
Copy&paste problem, 0w20 and 5w30 entries look to be almost identical, even the freezing point is too low for 5w oil. 10w30 is 10.3, I assume 5w30 is around that

I always find these posts funny because I can image some guy 'updating' the information just copy and pasting line by line thinking "man, this is such a waste of time, I bet no one reads these". Just to have some guy not only read them, but to also post about them and other people comment about his copy and paste mistake. :LOL: What a funny world we live in, also proves there is no job too small/insignificant.

look at the ow-20 specs I would bet there is an error .But them what do I know

Got this from XOM today:

Thanks for reaching out to us Jeremy !

We apologize for that, the info online is definitely wrong.

Typical viscosity @ 40C is 63.3 cSt and typical viscosity @ 100C is 10.93 cSt.

I hope this helps !

Very Respectfully,

Ramón A. Caballero
Americas Technical Help Desk
ExxonMobil Lubricants Technology

After the online spec questionability (I changed the oil before I heard back from
XOM) and after the odor of charred oil after a heavy, hot trailer pull, I switched back to Mobil 1. I’ll probably just keep using that.

Back