Mobil Super L120 John Deere Mower

Hello all. I have a John Deere L120 Mower/tractor I purchased new and I have always used John Deere's Turf Guard 10-30 in the engine as per the manufacturer recommendations. I know several people use Mobil 1 and other synthetics in their mowers and other small engines so I decided to switch over to synthetic for it and saw that O Reilys had Mobile Super on a closeout so I bought a 5 quart container planning on using it in the mower. Well longer story short I am wondering if I should use something else or if this Mobil Super is okay to run? The tractor has 350 hours on it and runs great, no issues. Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome to the board, you will find that your oil choice is the least of your concerns, what is more important is checking the oil level each time before you use your machine!

I have the John Deere with the B&S 20 HP Intex twin cyl. I've been using 10w30 Shell Rotella T5 in my engine. You didn't say what viscosity your running with the Mobil Super. Ed

I check the oil in it before every use. Have to add a little towards the end of the season and I change the oil every spring. It usually has 20-30 hours is all put on it per season. The mower is at least 11-12 years old. Probably older I can't remember, but it still works great. I am purchased the same 10w30 in the Mobil Super Synthetic. Figured I should stay with the same weight oil. It has the 22HP Briggs and Stratton motor. Intek engine.

Last edited:
Not a problem … I have used that and a half dozen others in my 19HP Briggs and the Kohler twin before that

I have an X300 with a Kawasaki in it.
When I have not used Turf Guard, I have used Citgo Full synthetic (stumbled across some for 49 cents/qt. with a MIR.)
Right now, it has some Castrol Syn blend in it I picked up cheap.
You'll be fine with the Mobil Super.

The specs/API ratings look to be well above what is needed for a 12+ year old lawn mower for sure. I was thinking of putting in my garden tiller too, but I got nervous and just put the same old SAE 30 B&S oil in it that I have always used. I put the Mobil Super Synthetic in the mower already, but just parked it after I did it. Moved it like 30 feet. Figured if it wasn't good for it I would just drain it and change it again. Seems a little noisier than before, but I'm sure that's just me being hypersensitive. Hopefully It's okay. I don't really want to have to buy a new mower because I found a deal on oil if you know what I mean. Never thought about using synthetic in the thing before, but a guy at work does in his stuff and he's the one that turned me on to the deal at oreilly.

Last edited:
If you change it every spring, pretty much any decent oil will work as long as you keep the oil full. Keep doing what you have been doing.
thumbsup2.gif

I am in the process of switching to synthetic, too. From SAE 30 to Mobil 1 5W-30. But since I already changed oil with new SAE 30 this year, I will wait couple of weeks for the switch. Let me know if you have more sound or other issues.

The B&S synthetic is a 5w30 - got that on clearance. 5w30 makes it a bit easier to hand crank than 10w30 or 15w40 HDEO ~ basically what else is in my mower stash kept separate from my road stash.

Originally Posted by 4WD
The B&S synthetic is a 5w30 - got that on clearance. 5w30 makes it a bit easier to hand crank than 10w30 or 15w40 HDEO ~ basically what else is in my mower stash kept separate from my road stash.

I've only noticed that in snowblower engines when it is below 15* outside. I can't tell either way in the summer or fall. I'm not the hulk either, and the only time I've noticed an engine seemed a bit tougher to pull over was when I got a snowblower in for repair and the customer had apparently filled it with 20w50.
shocked2.gif

I use either 10w-30 M1 High Mileage or 5w-40 RT6 in most of my OPE. The John Deere gets 10w-30. Thus far only the generators and the rototiller get 5w-40. The snow blower gets 5w-30. You should probably stick with 10w-30 since it's been working for you.

Back