Mobil Delvac Extreme synthetic 15w-40

I might switch from M1 TDT for my utility tractor. I keep it stored in the partially-heated pole barn in winter, bringing it out only to remove snow. What do I need a 5W winter grade for? The barn is heated to 45 degrees all winter.

As for the boy's 6.0L Navistar, being outside all the time with limited miles I'll stay with Rotella T6 5W-40 for now. Too expensive to change twice a year on his college budget.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I might switch from M1 TDT for my utility tractor. I keep it stored in the partially-heated pole barn in winter, bringing it out only to remove snow. What do I need a 5W winter grade for? The barn is heated to 45 degrees all winter.

As for the boy's 6.0L Navistar, being outside all the time with limited miles I'll stay with Rotella T6 5W-40 for now. Too expensive to change twice a year on his college budget.

I have heard that 5w40's tend to shear in the 6.0 and 6.4 Navistars due to the HEUI injection system. 10w30 and 15w40 are normally recommended for those engines. Have you ever seen 5w40 shearing in the 6.0?

Originally Posted by meadows
Does it have Ford's certification? I did not see it.

Nope don't see it listed yet.

After reviewing the approvals it meets or exceeds API SL & SM with no mention of SN so it should have enough Phos. & Zinc to pass in the near future. I'd think it's probably in testing currently. T6 came in late to the Ford game so Mobil should do so as well.

Last edited:
Got a brand new Mercedes Sprinter and wanted an immediate oil change--as I did not know what was in there, and I might need to top-up. (MBZ tolerates 1 qt/600 mi--and I was told to expect to need to add.)
Did not find this on the MBZ approved list of lubricants (now I think maybe it's too new), so I kinda took a flyer, but it is CK-4 + full syn, so I felt safe. About 5 bux/qt @ Walmart.

This guy has some comments about the Mobil One MBZ uses--which got me worried:
http://www.stephensservice.com/oil-related-failures-to-engine/
http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/
Anybody know him? Is he legit?

Rather than the prescribed 20K mi service interval, I'll go with 5K. (Used to be MBZ turbo engines, like the bullet-proof 5 cyl--were simply classed as 'severe duty' = 3k interval.)
Don't see much about 'sever duty' in the vehicle manual.
(I also have a naturally aspirated 300CD from 1980 w/ 400K on the clock, which may outlast the Sprinter.)

YMMV

Cheers,
Whitney

Originally Posted by A_Harman

I have heard that 5w40's tend to shear in the 6.0 and 6.4 Navistars due to the HEUI injection system. 10w30 and 15w40 are normally recommended for those engines. Have you ever seen 5w40 shearing in the 6.0?

There's a big, long thread I posted on this topic, so I won't belabor it here. I've seen your work and understand (to some extent) the HTHS & HTFS issues. The OCI on 6.0 Navistar is short as well. Yes, there is some shear down. Our location in an extreme environment still demands 5W-40. Not pulling horse trailers, either.

M1 TDT does not - am not using this in the Navistar 6.0, am using Rotella T6 - specifically because it is Ford certified. Am using M1 TDT in the Yanmar mechanical engine. I plan to change to T6 because the boy started buying T6 in 5 gallon pails. Navistar needs 3 gallons, Yanmar need 3/4 gallon per OCI. I've got too many different oils laying around already, this is an opportunity to consolidate.

Hello! This guy is legit. If I had spent as much as you have on your Sprinter I would do everything he said to do. He has 50! years experience working on MB vehicles. The diesel engine in your Sprinter is much different from your 1980 300CD. I have 2 Mercedes diesel cars from the 80's. A 1983 240D and a 1984 300SD. I use Mobil Delvac Super 1300 in both of those cars and go 10,000 miles. I can't go any more miles than that because of the soot they make. That's ok as I understand that. My 1995 Mercedes e300d can go a lot farther on an oci ( 15,000 -20,000 miles) due to a different injection system that does not make so much soot. I have uoa's to support what I do with the oci's on these cars. Maybe Mobil1 5w-40 TDT would work for you. After reading what he had to say about the Sprinter and their issues I think he is spot on. Good Luck! Bill

Checked today nothing at my WM I hope it shows up wanna try this oil
laugh.gif

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super Synthetic Blend 15W-40 has an HTHS of 4.0. Why would XOM come out with yet another variant (Extreme) for a 0.1 cSt HTHS viscosity improvement? Unless they plan to discontinue the original 1300 Super?

I looked at Mobil's website today - my jaw hit the floor with all the Delvac variants. Could not believe it.

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super Synthetic Blend 15W-40 has an HTHS of 4.0. Why would XOM come out with yet another variant (Extreme) for a 0.1 cSt HTHS viscosity improvement? Unless they plan to discontinue the original 1300 Super?

I looked at Mobil's website today - my jaw hit the floor with all the Delvac variants. Could not believe it.

Because they are trying to sell it at double the price of the Delvac 1300
Delvac 1300 ain't going nowhere.

Need for shelf space competition against Rotella T6 15W40 is my guess, although the numbers are pretty similar the T6 15W40 may have the slight edge in cold cranking temperatures.

Bad? Not sure that's an accurate characterization. ZDDP is an antiwear additive. It is well known and proven to reduce wear between boundary lubrication surfaces such as cams and flat tappets. It has been used for many decades. It does not bore polish engines. It is an interstitial compound that minimizes frictional tearing of metal surface roughness. If anything, it prevents bore polishing - which is the tearing (machining) of the metal surfaces to a smoother surface.

Mobil marketing has gone crazy with all these formulation labels. There is such a thing as too many choices for miniscule gains in various applications. To me, Mobil is past that point. They need to clean up their lineup to match modern engine needs, keeping a few legacy engine formulas.

Originally Posted by whizbyu
Originally Posted by Whitney

http://www.stephensservice.com/oil-related-failures-to-engine/
http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/

If Mobil 1 ESP is bad, and it is certified for MB and VW 507, does that mean don't buy ESP with 5W30? Is ESP 5W40 better? And if friction modifiers are bad (such as zinc) does that mean that higher Zn levels will polish the bore to the point of blowby?
So confusing.

There are a few stupidities in that stephensservice link....

ACEA E9 is not "identical" to ACEA C5....E9 is HDEO with HTHS 3.5+....... C5 is PCMO with FE capabilities....thus slightly lower HTHS....

Mobil1 ESP 5w30 is also for passenger cars with a turbo....Stephen says that it is not intended for turbo diesels... LoL!

Stephen also says..... "on OEM MB bottle you will not see ACEA & API certs.....thus oil is not suitable for a mb bluetec engine" LoooooL.....

MB-BMW-VW specs are ALL built on ACEA Ax/Bx/Cx specs + every car maker adds something on top of it...

ie.... VW 504 /507 is ACEA C3 + some additional vw demands..... MB 229.51/52 is ACEA C3/C4 + some additional MB demands.... And the, same goes for BMW...

Dunno for MB Sprinter.... But Mobil1 is more than capable oil for their passenger diesel cars

And that Stephen whoever he is.... Is telling u some BS here

Back