Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W/40 @ 5,700 miles; VW TDI @ 60k

20220216_144523.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be even more interesting if we knew what vehicle (year, make, model, engine ...)
Sorry, that got cropped off.... VW Golf Sportwagen TDI with about 60,000 miles. DPF is a non issue. To get the oil from my crankcase, I used medical grade plastic tubing which is fairly soft and it may have explained the high levels of silicon as the oil temperature was probably around 180F.

It’s probably a CR Golf. May even be deleted.

The Extreme is good stuff and that TBN is great. Starts out at over 10.

Curious about the slightly lower 100cst. Not terrible, but curious.

Sorry, that got cropped off.... VW Golf Sportwagen TDI with about 60,000 miles. DPF is a non issue. To get the oil from my crankcase, I used medical grade plastic tubing which is fairly soft and it may have explained the high levels as the oil temperature was probably around 180F.
Even if you had a DPF, the 1% ash is nothing to write home about. T6 has the same and been running a non-neut Cayenne D with it since day 1.

What’s up with your motor? I see you mentioned no DPF, so you must have tuned it out. You’re shearing that oil far quicker than most have. Any mods or other ancillaries? I would worry a bit as to why… How much are you evacuating out of the sump?

Sorry, that got cropped off.... VW Golf Sportwagen TDI with about 60,000 miles. DPF is a non issue. To get the oil from my crankcase, I used medical grade plastic tubing which is fairly soft and it may have explained the high levels of silicon as the oil temperature was probably around 180F.
I'll update the thread title with that info.
It's helpful to have that so when folk use the search tool, they can find stuff relevant to what they seek.

What’s up with your motor? I see you mentioned no DPF, so you must have tuned it out. You’re shearing that oil far quicker than most have. Any mods or other ancillaries? I would worry a bit as to why… How much are you evacuating out of the sump?
Full delete. Malone 2. Stock turbo. Nothing else. Straight pipe. Drive like a nursing home bus driver. RARELY do I stomp on the accelerator. Wondered about that whole shear and bore scoring phenomenon too but then I look at the wear metals and it's pretty good.
All this mystery makes me want to just say to hell with the report and do OCI's at 7,500-10,000 because "what are you going to believe"?

Last edited:
I also drain the oil not from the top but unscrewing the drain plug. I also put one of those super strong rare earth magnets on the most dependent portion of the crankcase and remove the magnet before the drain so all the gook metals come out.

BUT this oil analysis is WITHOUT the magnet on the case because I forgot to put it back on after the last oil change

Well for starters, Turbocharged vehicles (Diesel, Gas, AvGas) all do best when load is introduced on a daily basis. Piston setup and Ring Gaps are far different than a standard Stoich engine. With that said, you aren’t helping the motor in any terms by driving it pedantically. Just being honest.

As for why you’re shearing, it doesn’t sound heat related. Reciprocal masses is what’s doing it. You’ve got the worst shear in recent memory from a 15w-40. What’s your duty cycle (start temps and length of trips)?

By driving it as you have been, there could be an issue with the motor and break-in. That’s just thinking off the top of my head. Who knows without inspection.

No oil will cure that shear as you’re using some of the very best off-shelf oil produced. Something is amiss.

Start temps here in winter are 27 F for a low. Fall start temps are about 40F. Drive distance about 14 miles each way. It isn't city driving. State road 2 lanes each direction, stop light every 0.5 mile on some sections, and then stretches of 2 miles without lights. Average MPG is about 50 by car computer, probably more like 42-44 when hand calculated.

I've done several spirited trips 700 miles each way to Florida and back going at 80-90 MPH. Those are the times I drive fast, and the only times I would drive hard to get away from German luxury marques, fat V-8's from Detroit. I did a full delete mainly to increase the longevity of the turbo. And to be able to get away quickly when I need to.

Made a trip from NC to NYC pulling a fully loaded U haul trailer with a Yakima SkyBox on the roof, at speeds of 70-75 on freeways.

Back