Mobil Delvac 5w40????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,

This a question being posed to me and now to you about delvac 5w40.Does anyone know anything about it and better yet where to buy it???? My brother has an 04 Jetta with a TDI,he found out via the TDI forum that alot of guys are using the Delvac 5w and wants to go with it,he is not a Castrol fan and would like to try Mobil..He was told it meets the vw 505.01 or whatever number it is. Even if it doesn't meet the specs he doesn't seem to care,I've tried searching here and the net and have come with squat..Anyone got a line on this stuff..

Do yourself a favor! Go to Walt-Mart and buy some Mobil 1 T&SUV......it is relabeled Delvac 1 5W-40 without the steep price.
It's that easy!

I've seen it at 3 Walmarts in NJ.
dunno.gif

04 tdi you have to use vw 505.1 oil spec. mobil 5w40 truck & suv or delvac 1 does not meet this spec[/B you will have to get this oil from the vw dealer.

tdi jerry is speaking the gospel! At this stage of the game DO NOT deviate from Volkswagen's oil specification for the PD TDI. Use ONLY VW 505.01 oils.

Mobil Delvac-1 does NOT meet this specification. Nothing sold at Wal-Mart meets this specification.

You can mail order 505.01 from impexfap.com or you can get it from the dealership, or you can source the Motul. These are your choices at the moment.

Quaker State was supposed to release a 505.01 oil in December but I haven't seen it nor have they posted it on their web page.

Personally, I'd negotiate a decent price from the dealership (most are easy to work with on this issue) and also buy your filter there and hang on to you receipts until your warranty expires. Expect to pay $8 to $9 for the filter (cartridge insert) and $6 for the oil per liter. Run it for the recommended 10,000 mile drain interval and don't sweat it.

WOW,what's so special about a VW diesel that has everyone so scared as to not use something other than what's spec'ed???? Is there some mysterious component in this engine that it needs Castrol 5w40??? Or is this some kinda money game???

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:
WOW,what's so special about a VW diesel that has everyone so scared as to not use something other than what's spec'ed???? Is there some mysterious component in this engine that it needs Castrol 5w40??? Or is this some kinda money game???

It is the Castrol Transynd scam all over again only with engine oil this time.

Big John:

With VW, who knows? The 2004 VW diesel uses their "PD" or Pumpe Duse direct injection diesel.

It's similar to the Cummins ISX motor that has individual unit pump injectors. You use a lobe on the camshaft to actuate a plunger on the unit pump that forces the fuel in at very high pressure.

Apparently, there have been some wear issues on the cam lobes due to the very high loads placed on it by the unit pump injector.

From what I've read, VW requires a special 0W-30 oil in their PD motors, like Castrol LongLife SLX II 0W-30.

In Europe, you can also get a synthetic Mobil lube that meets the VW specs. VW has pdf's that carefully explain the oil requirements and the LongLife regime. Here are some URL's that may help answer your question.

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/EUXXENPVLMOMobilSHCFormulaLD_0W-30.asp

http://www.vw.co.uk/services/servicing/longlife_service_regime

Hope this helps. Long story short: looks like you had better get the oil from a VW dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
Apparently, there have been some wear issues on the cam lobes due to the very high loads placed on it by the unit pump injector.

I used to work in a Cummins dealership (until last fall). We'd have trucks come in all the time with problems...the "injector cam" on the new Interact design engines would literally flake apart!

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
I used to work in a Cummins dealership (until last fall). We'd have trucks come in all the time with problems...the "injector cam" on the new Interact design engines would literally flake apart!

Oh boy, there were a rash of warranty claims up here in Canada due to that problem too. It is absolutely critical to get good oil pressure on starting.

In colder temps the high loads from the unit injector pump would create the flaking you describe. The wear was so accelerated that complaints of poor performance and MIL on were starting. The injector lobe was mostly worn, thus the poor performance!

Cummins has had a few TSB's about the "proper" CES rating to "avoid" the flaking. I doubt you "avoid" the problem but can minimise it. I think you must run a high quality synthetic to all but minimise it.

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:
Thanks heyjay for the info..Tough break for that Jetta owner mentioned up top..

Well, the only consolation is that you can use a longer servicing schedule with the VW oil. At least in Europe you can.

Due to the higher sulfur content of diesel fuel here in North America, I'm not sure if VW diesels operated here qualify for the extended (Up to 24 months or 50,000km) WIV "flexible" servicing like in Europe.

Assuming the Jetta owner can get the proper oil from his VW dealer, there is no reason not to run it to the maximum suggested. If that oil is good enough for 2 years or 50,000km, it should be good for half that here in North America.

quote:

From what I've read, VW requires a special 0W-30 oil in their PD motors, like Castrol LongLife SLX II 0W-30.

Where did you read this information? I was told that the spec for the PD TDI's was 505.01 as stated in the origianl message. The mobil link you gave lists it as 506.01, now what oil are you supposed to use???
dunno.gif
I have been using the Castrol syntec 5w-40 per the dealer, but I don't know if I can trust them
frown.gif

quote:

Where did you read this information? I was told that the spec for the PD TDI's was 505.01 as stated in the origianl message. The mobil link you gave lists it as 506.01, now what oil are you supposed to use???
dunno.gif
I have been using the Castrol syntec 5w-40 per the dealer, but I don't know if I can trust them
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back