Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selected this oil after some thought as the warm weather fill for the Dodge. Tried to find a VOA on BITOG, but found nothing.
Looking at low cost diesel oils available at any WalMart, the candidates were Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, Shell Rotella T4, and Castrol GTX Diesel.
Picked the Mobil because the viscosity was in the range I was looking for.

I'm not liking the low ZDDP content shown on the VOA. And the Boron is weak, too. Probably will supplement it with the Redline additive.

Delvac1300-VOA.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by beanoil
Delvac and Delo were dumbed down for the CK-4 spec.
Premium Blue and Rotella still look good on paper in the CK-4 flavor.

Wish I could have found a VOA on the Delvac before I bought it.
8.9 oz of the Redline will bring Phos up to 1200 ppm.

Originally Posted by Gubkin
CK-4 or CJ-4 ?
Every time ....
It's not important info ? ))))

It's been 2 years since the CJ4 - CK4 changeover, so CK4 is kind of a given at this point.
I've never pulled a dusty oil jug off of a WalMart shelf.

Thanks for sharing A_Harman. Stocked up on CJ-4 Delvac 15w-40 for my Onan generator when the Ford CK-4 hysteria hit the ground running. Perhaps you might want to use Ford's CK-4 approved oil list as a proxy...as their concern was lowered Zinc and Phosphorus levels with new CK-4 formulations. I think my go to CK-4 (Ford approved) is Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 and Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 (as beanoil mentioned).

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Here is another VOA. http://pqiadata.org/Mobil_Delvac_15W40_732018.html

And here is the rest of the major competitors.. click the 'date' column to sort by newest ones.

http://pqiamerica.com/HDEO_Sample_Summary_Dec_2016.html

Nice links. Why didn't I think of the PQIA before? As CK4's go, Delvac 1300 is about the weakest in wear control. 789 Phos, 71 Boron.
Kendall Super-D XA with Ti looks the most interesting. 1090 Phos, 147 Boron, and 98 Titanium. But I only see it in truck stops such as Love's, which means it's overpriced.
The Ford Motorcraft Super Duty looks good. It's funny that Ford's spec calls for 1000 ppm Phos min, and this stuff comes in at 1180. Under-promise and over-deliver! And I do see it in WalMarts. Could be the way to go.
The Petro-Canada Duron looks good, too. I go into Canada a lot and see it regularly, but who wants to pay Canadian prices for motor oil?

I think I'll spike the Delvac 1300 with Redline to bring it up to 1200 Phos, and do a 20k mile oil change to see how it's doing. Then try the Kendall or Motorcraft.

Last edited:
There are Petro-Canada distributors in the States. I'm not sure how close they are to you. Buying in Canada from the distributor is reasonable. It won't subject you to exactly "Canadian prices" for motor oil, at least not what you see at normal retail. Often, HDEOs at our distributors are cheaper than ordinary U.S. HDEO prices. I was getting Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for $25 or so for four litres. Petro-Canada's head office is in Chicago, and they might be able to direct you to a convenient U.S. distributor.

Alternatively, send the Cummins up here and let me worry about the phosphorus.
wink.gif

As a non-diesel owner, I look at this oil a different way. It seems like a great HD oil to run in gas applications - not too thick at 13.7, and not too high in additives. High enough to provide a bit more protection above SN+ levels, but not ridiculous.

This would be great for a gas application that is noisy or burns oil to provide extra protection without going overboard. I should get some of this for my Soul, and get the $6 gas card for it.

Originally Posted by addyguy
As a non-diesel owner, I look at this oil a different way. It seems like a great HD oil to run in gas applications - not too thick at 13.7, and not too high in additives. High enough to provide a bit more protection above SN+ levels, but not ridiculous.

This would be great for a gas application that is noisy or burns oil to provide extra protection without going overboard. I should get some of this for my Soul, and get the $6 gas card for it.

It does go against the old idea that if you want extra wear protection for your older vehicle with sliding cam followers, just get a 15w40 HDEO.
I wouldn't recommend this for such an application. Now you have to be careful which oil you recommend, because it might not have 1000+ ppm of ZDDP.

I'm out of touch with diesel oils so I'm surprised the additive system looks so similar to the other M1 oils.

And if you want a dexos1 or LL-01FE level of HTHS ~3.0, we have the new FA-4 (with SN for gasoline engines) diesel-gas engine oil now: Mobil Delvac 1â„¢ Advanced Fuel Economy 5w30 with HTHS 3.2, which will work in gasoline cars needing 5w30 and many xw20 applications. Maybe a summer-fill-only in 0w20 applications. For 0w20 gas engines, you can run a "diesel" oil with euro-certs, such as VW 508 will work well. ------------- I'm starting to like oil with dual gas & diesel certs !

Originally Posted by A_Harman

Kendall Super-D XA with Ti looks the most interesting. 1090 Phos, 147 Boron, and 98 Titanium. But I only see it in truck stops such as Love's, which means it's overpriced.

Same stuff here.

I assume this is for the Ram?

Which Redline will you be using? Only reason I'm asking is if my math is correct, wouldn't you need much more than 8.9 oz since you have to average in the other 11+ quarts?

Redline 15W-40 HDEO is about 1100 PPM Phosphorus. One bottle might raise you to around 900 PPM for 12 qts total.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by i6pwr

Which Redline will you be using? Only reason I'm asking is if my math is correct, wouldn't you need much more than 8.9 oz since you have to average in the other 11+ quarts?

Redline 15W-40 HDEO is about 1100 PPM Phosphorus. One bottle might raise you to around 900 PPM for 12 qts total.

He has used Redline's break-in additive in the past. I don't remember the details but if you look at some of A_Harman's more recent UOAs, you can look at his usage of it.

Edit- I believe his latest UOA threads indicate where the Redline additive was used with an RL in one of the columns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by i6pwr

I'm using the Redline Break-In Oil additive, which is super-concentrated at 17000 ppm of Phos.
3 oz/gallon.
I just posted a UOA of this brew in the diesel UOA section. Wear was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back