Mobil 5w50 // 4,100 miles // 2007 Porsche Cayman S

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Cayman S sees quite a bit of track-time at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. I typically run in the advanced or intermediate run group, so the car is driven pretty hard. This OCI saw 4,100 total miles, with about 500 of those miles being driven on the track.

I stretched the OCI to three total track events (six days) this year, and wanted to see if that changed anything in the sample. I had another UOA of the same oil performed about a year ago 2010 Mobil 5w50 UOA

The other purpose of this UOA was to try and determine whether it would be possible to take this sample, now sheared (or, conditioned
whistle.gif
) to a 5w40 and use it in my BMW 525i wagon with the 2.5L M54 motor. UOA is below:

Blackstone comments: WE wouldn't suggest putting this fill of used Mobil 1 5w50 in place in your BMW, only because this oil already contains near avearage amounts of wear metals for an M54. You might be able to get a couple thousand miles out of this oil in your BMW safely, so you can give it a shot if you're so inclined. THere's no way of knowing how wear will behave until you try it out and send in a sample. The TBN of this oil was still very strong at 8.7. Your Cayman looks good at 37,764 miles

AL = 6
CHROMIUM = 1
IRON = 11
COPPER = 9
LEAD = 1
TIN = 4
MOLY = 82
BORON = 167
SILICON = 5
SODIUM = 7
CALCIUM = 2919
MAG = 17
PHOS = 847
ZINC = 986

kV @ 100C = 14.41 cSt
Flashpoint = 400F
Fuel = TBN = 8.7

I'm very happy with these results, and filled the car with M1 5w50 for another OCI.

Comments are welcome!

Thanks,
Matt

My goodness, nice oil. You could re-use this oil if you were careful with the transfer process. I would keep this oil in longer next OCI even with more track time. The engine is wearing great!

Believe it or not, I can pick up the 5w50 from PetroAlliance for about what 0w40 costs at Walmart.

I've used 0w40 at the track, and subjectively (less smoke under track conditions, less oil consumption), I prefer the 5w50.

I plan to run this OCI for the entire track season next year, which I hope to be 4 events / 8-10 days / 1,000+ miles.

I wouldn't reuse this oil in another pricy engine like you BMW, but I would extend the OC in the Cayman to 6-7K if you continue to track it.

Where are the insoluble numbers from the report?

The oil does contain some wear metals but a quality oil filter in the BMW will catch and hold all of that and it shouldn't be a problem.

There's plenty of TBN left and if you add a bit of fresh oil during the OC into the Bimmer, it will be even better.

Depending on the age of the BMW, mileage and the use it's going to see, you could easily reuse this oil and run it another 3k at a minimum. (i'd resample after another 3k and see how much further it could go and run it some more if the report supports it. Then during the next drain from the Porsche, i'd run the oil even longer in the Bimmer and resample to see how much life is left for further use. Rinse and repeat.)

I did the same thing with Amsoil drained oil from my 2007 Civic Si that is modified, driven hard daily and sees the track (time attack) when i decided to recycle the oil for further use in another car.

The thread with UOA can be found HERE --> Recycled Oil Experiment

Best of luck to you and post the results if you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back