Mobil 10w40 high mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fairly high mileage 2002 VW Passat 1.8t, & was thinking of trying the Mobil 1 10w40 H.M. oil. It has 126,000 miles on it now & has had Mobil 0w40 all of it's life. Anyone had any luck with this oil for this application? I saw it in 5 quart jugs at WalMart cheap. ($23.00).

Thanks

Why after 126,000 miles do you feel it needs a high mileage oil? Especially since it spent its whole life with Mobil 1 0W40.

If the M1 0w-40 is working, I say don't switch. Unless the car leaks or burn a lot of oil, you will receive no benefit from making the switch. Well, except a fatter wallet. That 0w-40 is supposed to be a great oil!

Maybe over-thinking this oil thing a bit too much. Mobil 0-40
has been very good to the car over the years, but I keep reading about how it shears down too quickly, high iron in uoa's, etc & thought the 10w40 h.m. might work ok, especially since it's so much cheaper. It does have a small leak from the front cam seal that will be repaired when I do the timing belt, but uses NO oil other than that. Usually only have to add about 1/2 qt per 5k oci.

Last edited:
So much cheaper? M1 anything is same price at wallmart - about 23 bucks. I would suspect the 10w-40 is a much lower specification oil, since it doesnt have the approvals that 0w-40 has.

+1 same price for all grades, though it may be that the 10w-40 HM can be had in the 5-qt jugs. Still, only talking a few dollars.

0w-40 meets the required specs. The shearing is a non-issue unless your engine is such that it MUST have a heavy 40wt oil. The 0w-40 is still ACEA A3.

It is stout oil and produces great results when used in applications where it makes sense, even over extended OCIs.

The 10W-40HM has slightly less ZDDP, but enjoys a higher flash point, which may or may not be a good thing for the turbo bearings.

Since you're curious, I say give it a try and run it for the summer! I can't think of any reason not to. The HM can't possibly hurt the engine.

Last edited:
I've never seen 0W40 at Walmart in 5 gallon jugs...that is where you would see the same price. OW40 is only by the quart and thus a more expensive option to M1HM 10W40 (in a 5 gallon jug).

Unless you are burning oil, stay with the OW40. If you oil loss was more than 1 quart in 3K, then I would go HM10W40.

There both well built oil's the 0w40 has a little better add pack with some nice approvals to go along with it, no real need for the HM oil what your using now is going to be hard to top.

Definitely not a winter oil. But, since weather is warming up, give the 10w40 a try and monitor oil consumption, mpg, sound, feel.....

If you want to do a comparison, UOA the 0w40 and 10w40 with similar mileage intervals. See which does better!!!

Originally Posted By: newpassatt
I have a fairly high mileage 2002 VW Passat 1.8t, & was thinking of trying the Mobil 1 10w40 H.M. oil. It has 126,000 miles on it now & has had Mobil 0w40 all of it's life. Anyone had any luck with this oil for this application? I saw it in 5 quart jugs at WalMart cheap. ($23.00).

Thanks
Funny that you posted this....because I was thinking of running the HM 10W40 M1 in my VW too. I may do it at the next oil change.

My 2001 Passat 1.8T just turned over 180K. Current fill is M1 5W-40 HD. I've never really followed a particular brand, just stuck to 5K changes, BIG filter (mann-o-lator from pep boys)and a high quality A3/B3 syn oil. Over the years I have used M1 0W-40, GC, Valvoline maxlife 5W-30, Synpower 5w-40, syntec 10-40. Consumption is under 1 quart per 5K give or take. I live in sunny california, commute 250 miles a week. Great car!

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: newpassatt

Thanks
Funny that you posted this....because I was thinking of running the HM 10W40 M1 in my VW too. I may do it at the next oil change.

Far overkill in a 2.0. Try the 10w-30.

The 0w40 M1 does not typically have the high Iron issue that their 5w30 does. Don't worry about the Iron. At all. Ow40 M1 is an amazing oil. Your car probably loves the heck out of you. ;P

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I dunno about that.

As a fellow Mobil 1 disliker, I agree that the 0W-40 is a decent product. One of the few Mobil 1 oils I recommend.

You mean old formulas like Syntec 5w-40, which is about 12 years old?

I actually wouldn't say VW 502 has "worked"...

Biosyn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back