Mobil 1 VTA018A.pdf

I was looking for this chart that I've seen mentioned several times. I emailed M1 about it and got an interesting response: > Thank you for your inquiry. We do not use the numbering system referred to > anymore, but we may be able to help with a vis/temp chart. Which Mobil 1 > product do you need vis/temp for and why do you need this information. > > Technical Support Engineer (WJF) > > The above information is provided in good faith based upon the information > presented by the customer. ExxonMobil is not responsible for any loss or > damage resulting from inaccuracies or errors in any of the information > provided or any acts or omissions taken in response to our advice. > > Exxon Technical Support: Mobil Technical Support: > 1-800-44Exxon Prompt #3 1-800-Mobil25 Prompt #3 > (1-800-443-9966) (1-800-662-4525) > > > > -------- Original Message -------- > Subject: Mobil1 product Technical question > Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:55:45 -0500 (CDT) > From: [email protected] > To: [email protected] > > > I'd like you to send me the following document, which I'm told has a temp > vs. viscosity chart for M1 products: > > VTA018A.pdf > > Thanks! > >

I have it but it is bogus. Don't know what clown at Mobil made it up. It's just a straight line plotted from the vis at 40 and 100C. Viscosity is not linear.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Troxell: I have it but it is bogus. Don't know what clown at Mobil made it up. It's just a straight line plotted from the vis at 40 and 100C. Viscosity is not linear.
Jason, the line is plotted on a log graph, which means it isn't linear--it just appears that way because it's on a log graph.

Well the person that sent it, said that Mobil told them even though 0w40 was't on it, to just draw a straight line from the 40 and 100C vis. How can all oils have the same characteristics? They don't.

Like the post above said, the left side of the graph is a log function and as such, it takes what would be a steeply curved graph and shows it as linear. It the graph was not set up this way, you would need an 8 foot high sheet of paper to see the graph. Cary