Mobil 1 Using oil ever so slightly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

2000 Saturn SC2. Never used a drop of oil and at 60,000 I changed to Mobil 1 only for purposes of driving 5000-6000 between changes. It seems that at about 1500 miles into Mobil 1 the oil is slightly lower on the Dipstick. It has been warm lately in the 80's and the air conditioning has been on. I drive the car somewhat hard. 5w30 is the Mobil 1 Grade. Is it normal to burn a little after running Dino for its life. Pherhaps as the engine "cleans" itself a bit or should I step up to 10/30 . Or am I just being Anal here?

Your not being anal at all. First, I would run Auto Rx in that engine for a good 1k miles. Drain it and then run M1 10w-30. If you have to, mix some 15w-50 in with it to thicken it up. Mobil's oils are on the thin side, one of the main compliants with this oil, therefore you might consume more of it. You could run a heavier oil such as Amsoil which is near a 40wt. oil.

thinking of trying 10/30 next drain on this oil. It also seems to take quite a long time to drain down after running the car. 10 minutes and the dipstick was low. 15 to 20 minutes and it was close to the full mark

quote:

Originally posted by 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2:
thinking of trying 10/30 next drain on this oil. It also seems to take quite a long time to drain down after running the car. 10 minutes and the dipstick was low. 15 to 20 minutes and it was close to the full mark

Let me know if it helps. I changed from 5W30 dino to 10W30 dino to deal with a consumption problem of 1 quart per 850 miles and it did not help a bit. Going to 5W40 group 3 made a huge difference. Based on my experience, you need to get the second number up to reduce consumption.

[ June 24, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

Well so far ive added about 1/8 quart in about 2,000 miles. It has been very hot here and Im been using the air condition heavily. Car used no oil on dino. Not a major concern at this point however I do think this oil is just flashing away more so than actually being burned. Mobil 1 10/30 seems to be a little more highly regarded here

quote:

Originally posted by 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2:
Well so far ive added about 1/8 quart in about 2,000 miles. It has been very hot here and Im been using the air condition heavily. Car used no oil on dino. Not a major concern at this point however I do think this oil is just flashing away more so than actually being burned. Mobil 1 10/30 seems to be a little more highly regarded here

Well-thats like 1 quart per 16K miles. That's on the lower end of oil consumption. I also agree with buster's suggestion about adding some 15W-30. I think its the perfect solution to getting a mid-30 wt. oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back