Mobil 1 Super Syn. How good compared to TriSyn and others???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen Amsoil priced up here through local dealers for just $8 a quart. Speed shops always mark up the price quite a lot compared to the independant guys.

I'm not sure if any of our Amsoil sponsors on here ship to Canada, but if they do, I'm sure their price would be a lot lower than that speed shop, even with the exchange/duty/shipping.

[ December 15, 2002, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

TooSlick,

"Get rid of ALL the lawyers and oils will get better!"

That's for darned sure. In the mean time, we need to change the public's attitude in seeking legal redress for all the world's ill's. Of course, if the lawyers go away, that may change public attitude. Putting a cap on the "winnings" is another solution.

offtopic.gif
People need to take responsibility for their actions and have a judiciary that is fair.

When the management of your company can bail out with millions of $ and you the employees are left with the debt or no job something is VERY wrong or we are a bunch of sheep.

The big corporations and the ambulance chasing trial lawyers both are screwing us, the little people because we won't VOTE out the politicians that promise to pad our own pockets at election time.

Of course during the rest of the time the politicians are padding their pockets too.

Everyone hates Congress but loves their own representative.

Just my limited opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Everyone hates Congress but loves their own representative.

And everyone hates lawyers until they need one on their side.

The reason that Mobil "cheapens" their formula has nothing to do with lawyers or people suing about extended drain interval claims. Go find me one case where this happened.

quote:

Originally posted by dbrowne1:
And everyone hates lawyers until they need one on their side.

The reason that Mobil "cheapens" their formula has nothing to do with lawyers or people suing about extended drain interval claims. Go find me one case where this happened.
Yes, and please show me any "evidence" that Mobil "cheapens" their formula.

The prevailing myth that Mobil 1 is an inferior product because Mobil charges less for it than Amsoil charges for its PAO based synthetic is way off the mark, IMO. Mobil has the resources of one of the largest companies in the world behind it, and R&D costs from one division can be made up from the profits of another. Mobil 1 is priced to compete in the OTC marketplace and Mobil can do this, and maintain the quality of the product, because of the size of ExxonMobil. Look at how Castrol decided to remain competitive in the OTC marketplace: they started using a much less expensive base oil and kept the retail price the same. There is no way Amsoil could compete in the OTC marketplace with its price points without doing the same thing, and that's just what they have done with the XL7500 series. Their stated reason for going to Group III for those oils was so they could keep the prices down to compete in the quick lube outlets that were carrying this oil.

Ignoring the issue of who's the best, I assumed Mobil's price advantage over other true synths was because they're the manufacturer as well as the blender.

I had read many blenders originally went the way of Group 3 because manufacturing group IV/V stocks required monstrous investments so they had to buy the base stocks from Mobil or one of the few other makers and they therefore couldn't compete. So they bent the definition to better suit base stock availability, and now they can compete. (in words anyway)

Of course, that's my early impression formed from reading bits here & there. Could be incorrect so I'm all ears.

David

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
Ignoring the issue of who's the best, I assumed Mobil's price advantage over other true synths was because they're the manufacturer as well as the blender.

Good point, and one I should have mentioned as being probably the chief advantage of having ExxonMobil behind you. I doubt if Mobil even sources out the additive package.

The prevailing myth that Mobil 1 is an inferior product because Mobil charges less for it than Amsoil charges for its PAO based synthetic is way off the mark, IMO. Mobil has the resources of one of the largest companies in the world behind it, and R&D costs from one division can be made up from the profits of another. Mobil 1 is priced to compete in the OTC marketplace and Mobil can do this, and maintain the quality of the product, because of the size of ExxonMobil. Look at how Castrol decided to remain competitive in the OTC marketplace: they started using a much less expensive base oil and kept the retail price the same. There is no way Amsoil could compete in the OTC marketplace with its price points without doing the same thing, and that's just what they have done with the XL7500 series. Their stated reason for going to Group III for those oils was so they could keep the prices down to compete in the quick lube outlets that were carrying this oil.
Couldn't agree more with this economic analysis!

[ December 16, 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back