Mobil 1 Super Syn. How good compared to TriSyn and others???

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been using Mobil 1 in all of my cars and trucks for the past five years and always believed it is some of the best motor oil out there. I read a lot around the Oil test board and have seen mixed emotions on the new SS formulation. Even compared to the TriSyn formulation. What is your opinion of the M1 SS?? Other than M1, I could also see using AMSOIL which is not that much more money and seems to test consistently better.

M1 is not as good as it could be, lacking in Boundary layer lube protection, uses too little of the SS esters like they load the racing oils with.

It can be made quite good if you use some the "brew" ideas shown here. Using Lube Control, and #132 Schaeffers moly EP add.

See previous posts by MoleKule on this subject.

If you don't want to diddle with mixing the Brew then for the Money I suggest Schaeffers Blend.

If you must hav a "real " synthetic Redline is a good choice , but you will pay for it. They have a new 5w-40 that recently impressed me in a VW 1.8L Turbo posted in the UOA results section.

Amsoil is a solid oil and probably superior to any other in really cold Climates. The Drain interval recommendation is marketing to sell a overpriced oil. I say that with all due respect to the Amsoil guys here who all top notch.

[ December 10, 2002, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
M1 is not as good as it could be, lacking in Boundary layer lube protection, uses too little of the SS esters like they load the racing oils with.

SuperSyn is a proprietary PAO, not an ester.

And I think your "home brew" methodology is a recipe for disaster.

SuperSyn is a mix of new PAO's, advanced Esters, and some additive technology borrowed from their jet engine lube division.

"And I think your "home brew" methodology is a recipe for disaster. "

Not if you have done extensive analytical and mechanical testing, which we have done.

Which AMSOIL are you talking about? Type and viscosity??
quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

It can be made quite good if you use some the "brew" ideas shown here. Using Lube Control, and #132 Schaeffers moly EP add.

See previous posts by MoleKule on this subject.

If you don't want to diddle with mixing the Brew then for the Money I suggest Schaeffers Blend.

If you must hav a "real " synthetic Redline is a good choice , but you will pay for it. They have a new 5w-40 that recently impressed me in a VW 1.8L Turbo posted in the UOA results section.

Amsoil is a solid oil and probably superior to any other in really cold Climates. The Drain interval recommendation is marketing to sell a overpriced oil. I say that with all due respect to the Amsoil guys here who all top notch.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
"And I think your "home brew" methodology is a recipe for disaster. "

Not if you have done extensive analytical and mechanical testing, which we have done.

So what's the formula you would use, oil brand and wt+additives and specify quantities. I've read it in bits and pieces, but don't know what the consensus is on this.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
SuperSyn is a mix of new PAO's, advanced Esters, and some additive technology borrowed from their jet engine lube division.

I wasn't talking about the SuperSyn motor oil, I was talking about the SuperSyn PAO. The addition of the SuperSyn PAO to the Mobil 1 formula is where they got the name from.

"SuperSyn is a mix of new PAO's, advanced Esters, and some additive technology borrowed from their jet engine lube division."

SuperSyn is all of those. The new PAO's, esters, and AW/anti-oxidant additives all contribute to the anti-wear technology they call SuperSyn. SS is not one additive component or base oil, it is a technology.

[ December 11, 2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Alex D,

I believe Terry is referring to the regular Amsoil 5w-30, "ASL" formulation....This was their most advanced additive/basestock chemistry until they came out with the 0w-30 stuff in 1995.

If I recall correctly, the 5w-30 was released in 1992 ....The viscosity index is >180, which is pretty good for a 5w-30.

Alex D, I prefer the Amsoil ASL 5w-30 and ATM 10w-30 for extreme cold weather ops. Best Amsoil bang for the buck in cold temps.

XHVI, you are correct in the sense that the first malcontent that decides to blame the "brew" for his engine problems will make a disaster for whoever he can blame.

On SS I stand by the statement that the weakness is the Esters which are used in less quantity in the oil you can procure normally as a non Exxon Mobil sponsored racer. The addition of Moly in the last 6 months is a good indicator that Mobil blinked on the BL and mixed lube issues. Kind of like Amsoil going to Grp III base in their 7500 series oils.

[ December 11, 2002, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Terry,

When you are making something that sells for $3.95/quart at Costco, you are inherently limited as to the basestocks/additive chemistry you can use.

Can ExxonMobil make better synthetics? Absolutely - just look at Delvac 1, 5w-40

Will they cost significantly more? Absolutely

Will 95% of the public not know the difference, and buy a cheaper synlube instead? Absolutely

You can't make the business case for $6.00/quart synlubes unless you go the extended drain route and accept the product liability. Get rid of ALL the lawyers and oils will get better
wink.gif

Based on the link above posted by Molakule, M1 SS is very good and your best buy overall. And with the data in the oil analysis section, M1 holds up very well. If anything, Amsoil was more dissapointing.

Look at it this way:

Amsoil - pay a lot more and wait a bit more

Mobil 1 - pay more than dino, but get it on the spot.

Mobil 1 is the man's engine oil. It's cheap and fast to get, unlike women where they're ultra expensive and extremely hard to understand and own.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
You can't make the business case for $6.00/quart synlubes unless you go the extended drain route and accept the product liability. Get rid of ALL the lawyers and oils will get better
wink.gif

Ahmen on this statement
frown.gif

I'm from Ottawa, Canada.

Until last spring I had been using Amsoil Series 2000 0w30. The current price in Ottawa is $16.75 a quart (Robson Racing, AutoImport).

My VW manual manual recommends a viscosity of 5W40(1st) then 5w30(2nd).

In May 2002 Mobil started selling the Tri-syn 0w40 at a local Esso wharehouse for $6.25 a litre. I've been using the 0W40 for the last 6 months.

I change my oil 4 times per year at 5000 mile intervals. I really don't think Amsoil 0w30 is worth $10 more per quart than Mobil 1 0W40. Amsoil costs $51.75 more per oil change and $207 per year (includes GST+PST & 4.5 litres per oil change).

Amsoil Series 2000 0w30: $16.75 quart
(not API approved, say they pass Euro Specs?)

Mobil 1 0w40: $6.25 litre
(API approved & actually pass European specs)

[ December 15, 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: 2Kompressed ]

I agree and when you look at the data people post on this website, Amsoil just isn't worth it. It would only be worth it if you were attempting to drain at 25-35K mile drains, which is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back