Mobil 1 Racing 0w50 versus RedLine 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to learn here what your thoughts are about those two lubricants definitively targeting some specific application:

Mobil 1 R 0w50:

•Specifications and approvals
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 is recommended for a wide range of race engine applications. Note: Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 is not recommended for street use.
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 is recommended for a wide range of race engine applications including highly loaded flat tappet designs such as NASCAR Cup engines.
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 is designed for use by professional, amateur and weekend racers.
Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Technical details
SAE Grade 0W-50
Viscosity (ASTM D 445)
cST @ 40ºC 100
cST @ 100ºC 17.2
Viscosity Index 189
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
HTHS Viscosity, mPa s at 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -54
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 221
Density at 15.6 ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

RedLine 5w50

Fully-synthetic ester formula for passenger cars, light trucks, performance vehicles and marine applications
Excellent wear protection and friction reduction across a wide range of operating conditions
High detergency allows extended drain intervals and provides increased cleanliness
Improved fuel economy and ring seal for more power
Superior high temperature stability and oxidation resistance increases lubrication of hot metal compared to other synthetics
High natural viscosity index (VI) provides thicker oil film in bearings and cams
Less evaporation than other synthetics for improved efficiency and ring seal
All products are completely compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils

TYPICAL PROPERTIES

ACEA Service Class A3 B3/B4
API Service Class SN/SM/SL/CF
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 5W50
Vis @ 100°C 21.0
Vis @ 40°C 130
Viscosity Index 186
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @°C 60@-30
Pour Point, °C -45
Pour Point, °F -49
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), %6
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C, ASTM D4741 5.0

Christian

Why be cryptic? Why are you interested in these two oils? What application? Let me guess, you want to know which one is best?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Why be cryptic? Why are you interested in these two oils? What application? Let me guess, you want to know which one is best?

Not really which one is the best...more what each of those are bringing to the engine the other one is not.
Application, NA high specific power, daily driver, driven hard, high speed run, short OCI...

Well, one is massively thicker than the other, as was already noted. So what are the requirements of the engine?

The Red Line works very well in an air-cooled motorcycle. Overkill, maybe, but I got 5w-50 and 20w-50 for about $6/qt a while back. Couldn't pass that up!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It is possible error in the HTHS of M1 5W50, M1 0W40 HTHS is 3.8 so 5W50 should be higher, should be more than 4.0

If you plug the M1 0W50 numbers from the PDS into the A Harman process for estimating temporary shear, the outcome is about the same as TGMO. High VI for low HTHS.

M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: miami993
Application, NA high specific power, daily driver, driven hard, high speed run, short OCI...

M1 0W-40.

Given Florida and short OCI...Delo400 15W40
smile.gif

Not really which one is the best...more what each of those are bringing to the engine the other one is not.

Mobil doesn't recommend using their racing synthetics on the street, so the Red Line street oil would be the way to go.
But their 5w50 is very thick. How about their 10w40?
Or maybe you could consider M1 5w50. It's a thicker version of their 0w40 EF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
M1 0W-40.

Given Florida and short OCI...Delo400 15W40
smile.gif

The hydraulic lifters used presently are working better with high VI oil.
The oil temperature recorded in the oil pan is ~ 300*F, I then suspect it might be higher in some highly loaded area...that's a reason I am watching for a 50 grade.

Not meaning to hijack the thread (my apologies in advance) but since this is about 50 weight oils (which I use) I have a question. NAPA has their synth and Edge on sale. How do NAPA 15W50 and Edge 5W50 compare to each other and why?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Steve's SRT8 has seen 300F numerous times tracking it. His car specs M1 0w-40
21.gif

M1 0w40 seems to be fine in my engine for 400 miles, then both SUS and cSt Viscosity are going low...
M1 15w50 was better in this area...
Redline 5w50 is holding better clearly and way longer (~1000 miles)

Both M1 0w40 and 15w50 were needing very early some topping off.

Can't imagine what you must be doing here. Sounds like fuel dilution to me. I run that oil for multiple track days and never use a drop!

I will note that I emailed M1 back in early 06 and was told that 300 degrees was well within the designed parameters of their 0W-40 formula...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Can't imagine what you must be doing here. Sounds like fuel dilution to me. I run that oil for multiple track days and never use a drop!

418 Cid (6850cc) V8 revving 7400rpm with an engine power from 6100 to 7100 rpm above 660 hp naturally Aspirated on 93 octane pump gas on stressful runs in the Florida heat...not sure why fuel dilution is not showing in oil analysis...?...but I guess it makes sense fuel dilution is a factor.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I will note that I emailed M1 back in early 06 and was told that 300 degrees was well within the designed parameters of their 0W-40 formula...

Working in the racing world with Cosworth engines and Mercedes engines (max 2400cc) with similar specific power, both factories are recommending Mobil 1 0w40...being firm that the max oil temp their engines max out is 115*C or 240*F...

I am looking for an alternative to the RedLine 5w50 my engine is presently using...and I am questioning this Mobil 0w50.

Christian

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Mobil doesn't recommend using their racing synthetics on the street, so the Red Line street oil would be the way to go.

The catalytic are off the car since long and ZDDP is not a concern anymore, no real concerns by "using it on the street".

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
But their 5w50 is very thick. How about their 10w40?
Or maybe you could consider M1 5w50. It's a thicker version of their 0w40 EF.

The Redline 10w40 is making it in term of holding its viscosity to 1000 miles...but the highest VI of their 5W50 is making my engine valve-train happier (meaning more power), as the Mobil 0w40 is doing...

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back