Mobil 1 Price Increase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else noticing price increases in motor oil? I decided to go for annual oil changes for my 06 Ford Taurus (Vulcan V6 OHV). Just got back from Walmart to pick up some M1 EP HM 5w20. My jaw dropped when I walked up to the shelf... 5 qt jug is now $29.47 here in east Tennessee!

I've never used M1 products before, currently running ST FS HM 5w30... That's getting drained on Tuesday and getting replaced with the M1 EP and a M1 EP oil filter.

My average annual mileage is around 7500 - 8000 miles. I had been doing 6 months/5k with the ST HM FS 5w30, and I'm assuming that the M1 EP HM 5w20 should hold up well for 1 year and under 10k miles in the old Vulcan V6 with 156k on the clock.

All that said, the online price AT THE MOMENT is cheaper than in-store. Other brands have also went up as well. I noticed that my 2nd choice, Valvoline MaxLife HM FS is up to $27 per 5 qt jug. 🙄

My average annual mileage is around 7500 - 8000 miles. I had been doing 6 months/5k with the ST HM FS 5w30, and I'm assuming that the M1 EP HM 5w20 should hold up well for 1 year and under 10k miles in the old Vulcan V6 with 156k on the clock.
Would I be correct in assuming the above? If the M1 EP HM holds up well for 1 year/ less than 10k miles in the Vulcan V6, then it may actually save me $$ vs doing changes twice per year. I usually go to the tire shop down the street and pay them $20 to do the change and rotate the tires.

So, now I have a decision to make...
ST FS HM 5w30 every 6 months/5k
or
M1 EP HM FS 5w20 annually with avg 7500 - 8000 miles (would NEVER go over 10k in a year)

Went with M1 5w20 instead of 5w30 because from what I've read here, M1 is on the thicker side.

I get the EP HM from Amazon for $24.xx
Part of that is my local WM sucks at motor oils (and many other products too).

Last edited:
Is anyone else noticing price increases in motor oil? I decided to go for annual oil changes for my 06 Ford Taurus (Vulcan V6 OHV). Just got back from Walmart to pick up some M1 EP HM 5w20. My jaw dropped when I walked up to the shelf... 5 qt jug is now $29.47 here in east Tennessee!

I've never used M1 products before, currently running ST FS HM 5w30... That's getting drained on Tuesday and getting replaced with the M1 EP and a M1 EP oil filter.

All that said, the online price AT THE MOMENT is cheaper than in-store. Other brands have also went up as well. I noticed that my 2nd choice, Valvoline MaxLife HM FS is up to $27 per 5 qt jug. 🙄
Plain Mobil 1 was $27.XX today on the end cap at Wally World. $23.XX last week on rollback. I grabbed two MotorCraft FL-910S filters for my nephew’s Escape and some PB Blaster then left. The QSUD was $20.88 up from $19.97, the Magnatec was still $19.96. Grabbed 3 jugs of the $15 Mobil FS at AZ instead.

Plain Mobil 1 was $27.XX today on the end cap at Wally World. $23.XX last week on rollback. I grabbed two MotorCraft FL-910S filters for my nephew’s Escape and some PB Blaster then left. The QSUD was $20.88 up from $19.97, the Magnatec was still $19.96. Grabbed 3 jugs of the $15 Mobil FS at AZ instead.
Same prices here. I considered getting the ST FS HM again but they only had 2 filters in stock... Fram orange, or the M1 EP filter for $10. I had been running ST and Motorcraft OEM filter, but they were out of stock.

At the rate things are going I think I may just start stashing enough oil/filter combos for several changes. Possibly just the cheapest HM FS I can get my hands on and the cheapest filter with the exception of the Fram "OCOD" as folks call it.

Maybe start grabbing ST FS HM and Motorcraft filters as I can. The 06 Taurus is my only car so I don't have to deal with more than one filter/oil viscosity.

The Havoline Boxes haven't moved lately. I might have to pick up a few more of those, although I was kindof waiting to see if they were going to update their 'Lifelong' 5W-30 to Dexos Gen3 since Chevron was the one pimping the big press release about it.

Everything is going up. Oil I don't care at 77 I more than likely have a lifetime supply already. But in another 15 years you aren't going to need it your will be forced out of your cars!

This happens every year, they put it on Rollback during the rebate in Spring, and then at the end of the rebate it goes back up to around $25-27ish for the regular and $27-30ish for EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back