Mobil 1 out,Exxon Superflo in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I just registered but have been lurking around this board for about 6 months. First off, let me just say that I have gained a great deal of knowledge from all of your posts. Secondly I just wanted to chime in about Mobil 1 making engines more noisy. I have used the 5w30 in two vehicles, a 95 Honda civic and a 98 Ford ranger. In both vehicles it made the engines quite a bit louder. I switched the Honda to Havoline 5w30 and The Ford to Amsoil 5w30, and both got quieter and smoother. Also the Mobil 1 got much too dark in my opinion for only 3-4k miles. Just my 2 cents!

Personally, I have never seen Exxon SuperFlo Synthetic as far as I can remember. So I went to the Exxon SuperFlo web site, and apparently it has been dropped. Exxon SuperFlo conventional motor oil is still sold, but Mobil 1 is used as the synthetic.

Last night I put in a new filter(cheap purolator)and 4qts of Exxon Superflo.
The engine does feel more responsive with this paticular brand for some reason.I'm thinking because it's probably on the low side for a 5W30 as opposed to the definitly thicker M1 5W30 I took out.

The engine felt lethargic and hesitant to rev with that stuff.
The Havoline 5W30 I stated was the same but to be honest it performed better than the M1 in my application.

With the Havoline(chevron/texaco) 5W30 the engine was nice and quiet and revved better than the M1.The Havoline and Superflo perform better by my seat of the pants test with the Superflo edging out the Havoline by revving more easily.It wasn't a night and day difference but it's definitly noticable.At least by me.

Next will be my Sienna which currently has M1 5W30.
shocked.gif

I used the Exxon Superflo synthetic 5W-30 SJ in the gold bottle in my 1996 Ford Contour with the 4 cyl. Zetec motor for a number of years. I liked the oil, engine never used or burned any unlike with Mobil 1. Plus it was "cheap as chips". The most I ever paid for it was $2.75/qt. Most of the time I would get it with rebates so my cost was $1.75/qt. Sure miss those days!
frown.gif
Have not seen that oil for years now. I have one unopened bottle left in my collection of orphaned oils
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
I have one unopened bottle left in my collection of orphaned oils
grin.gif

Whimsey

Would you like 2 qts. of Amoco Gold 5w-30 SJ to keep your Exxon orphan from feeling lonesome?
smile.gif

Mikep

Great, it can join my other orphans, GTX 10W-30 SH, and Quaker Synquest 5W-50 synthetic SJ and I believe some of the old real PAO Castrol Syntec 5W-50. Just in time for Halloween. A real Frankenstein oil mix
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Great, it can join my other orphans, GTX 10W-30 SH, and Quaker Synquest 5W-50 synthetic SJ and I believe some of the old real PAO Castrol Syntec 5W-50. Just in time for Halloween. A real Frankenstein oil mix
grin.gif

I've got some orphans too, one bottle of 10w30 Schaeffer blend, two bottles of 5w30 Royal Purple, 2 bottles of Valvoline 5w30 All Climate (SJ). Maybe someone with a 12qt oil sump might want all of our orphans!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back