mobil 1 oil filters flows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen 3 gpm rating on this board somewhere. That is a typical rating for filters. Probably it may be some type of SAE requirement. I'm guessing here though. Just read through this section and you will find a wealth of information here.

i have been here awhile but cannot find that info. 3gpm is terrible since your engine puts out 5...iam using my last mobil 1 filter.....i just think champion labs is a cheap company..will go with wix their's is 11-13 and filters good particles...will look into fleetguard also.

Champ Labs sent me this info:

2.5 psi pressure differential @ 3 gpm with 180°F SAE 30 oil. This does not tell us what gpm we get before the bypass valve begins to open, but evidently more than 3 gpm. The lowest bypass valve pressure I've seen is 8 psid, and the setting on your filter might be higher. I would not assume that the pressure rise through the filter media is linear with the flow rate. Note that this spec is for the small M1-102 filter which fits many Toyotas.

The filtration for this filter is 75% of 10 micron particles and 98.5% (absolute) of 20 micron particles.

Ken

[ January 26, 2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i have been here awhile but cannot find that info. 3gpm is terrible since your engine puts out 5...iam using my last mobil 1 filter.....i just think champion labs is a cheap company..will go with wix their's is 11-13 and filters good particles...will look into fleetguard also.

Bosch Premiums and the K@N's offer good flow. Wix filters don't filter down as small of particles as the Bosch, K@N, or M1.

Jason

wix filters 50% 12 micron and 95% 25 micron s and larger it flows 11- 13 gpm bosch doesn't come close and the flow of the wix and k&n are almost the same..in fact champion said that they test all their filters at 3gpm thats it..the flow you here are what k&n says...wix's flow ratings are designed for that flow and all their filters meet that....wix filters out all and more of the particles that are abrasive to and engine any smaller is of any importance and a marketing gimmick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back