Mobil 1 & oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with a 3.7 L engine. 130000 kms on
it. Been using Mobl 1 5w30 oil since new. At around 100000 kms
started noticing oil consumption, no leaks. About 1 litre every
1300 kms. Last oil change I switched to Mobil 1 10w30. No difference. Any suggestions to what oil i can use?

May not be the oil... Check the PCV system and make sure all the hoses and PCV itself are clean/clear. You might change the PCV with one from the dealer, if you still have the original from the factory it's due for changing anyways.

A weak PCV can definitely cause oil consumption.

Do not buy any other PCV valve other than the one from the Dealer, alot of "after-market" ones are garbage and may make your situation worse.

Good advice above to change out your PCV.

I have had very good results reducing consumption with Maxlife full synthetic 10W30.

Did the consumption start after the PCV? Maybe it is defective?

If not I would be having a compression test done on it before it possibly gets any worse. You can sell it before it becomes a problem if the compression is bad in 1-2 cylinders.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: SERIOUS
KEELE ST AND 401 AREA
My 2 uncles live in that area. One on Floral Pkwy and the other one a block away, so I know the area very well, however I don't know of any place that carries M1 HM oils in that area. See if the Mr. Lube down the street in that area has it and can put it in for you...

Do a compression check. Maybe a broken ring.
Valve seal bad. Something mechanical is wrong.
Sorry, but changing oil will not help.

Last edited:
How closely did you check for leaks? With engine running? Could something like an oil pressure sensor be leaking only when the engine is running?

M1 always burns off in everything I have ever used it in....I switched to HM M1 & it helped a little...but maybe you should try PP & see if it helps

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
M1 always burns off in everything I have ever used it in....I switched to HM M1 & it helped a little...but maybe you should try PP & see if it helps

M1 is one of the better oils for normal burnoff. The Honda HTO, and Corvette spec tells us that. Your problem is not normal. As I and others said you have some sort of mechancal problem. You may want to try other oils, PP Valv etc. but that kind of oil consumption will not be stopped by different oils.

To me, that is massive oil use in a modern engine.
It is going out the tailpipe or on the ground.
Further inspection is necessary.

I ran my Sienna on strictly M1 from 62k to 140k miles (mostly 8-9k OCIs). At the end of all that, I had a consumption issue (no leaks, no smoke) - I would loose 1 qt in the first 1k of an OCI and then 1qt in subsequent 1.7ks of the OCI. At the advice of a Toyota Master Tech, I ran fairly heavy doses of Neutra 131 in three OCIs (if I remember correctly) - I ran the Neutra for the last 500-1000 miles of the OCI. After all this, I now burn probably a little under a qt in 2k - so it's about 1/2 of what it was.

Personally, my first choice would be multiple Neutra runs, second choice would be AR-x.

(Neutra 131 is a Schaeffers product)

(btw, I don't blame M1 for my gummed oil rings - if that was indeed the issue. I blame my 9k OCIs on an engine known for being very hard on oil).

Last edited:
There is no evidence of any blue smoke out of tail pipe or
any leaks underneath vehicle. Emission testing was done last
week and passed with no problems. I just don't understand
how this came about all of a sudden. OCI on the Jeep Liberty
are every 5000kms. Vehicle is very well maintained and
runs amazing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back