Mobil 1 Japanese MSDSs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

I have compiled some info. from these MSDSs. Japanese MSDSs differ from the USA versions at least partly due to different reporting requirements, which is of benefit to us. There are some interesting things shown in the info. The percentage of mineral in the different viscosity grades is one of them. Of note is that only 0W-40 of this set uses the slack wax-type of Group III which is what Shell uses in many of their synthetic motor oils. The most shocking thing is the kerosene tainting the 0W-40 grade. I have looked at many other MSDSs for various Mobil 1 oils but have not included anything on them. Some that I saw had only 5-10% mineral oil.

Mobil 1 Japanese MSDSs: http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/psims.aspx

0W-40 – Revised Dec 31, 2008
KEROSENE...0.1-1 %weight...What the
54.gif

SLACK WAX (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED...50-60 %weight
Mineral Oil...5-10 %weight
0W-30 – Revised Nov 7, 2007
Mineral Oil...10-20 %weight
10W-30 – Revised Dec 21, 2007
Mineral Oil...50-60 %weight

Interesting. I thought the 0w oils were all PAO based. Especially the 0w40.

I wonder if Amsoil is using more Spectra Syn PAO than Mobil is using for their own oils? The SSO is using XOM's top of the line PAO.

I was looking at some of those too JAG, prompted by the discussion in the other thread.

Look at the difference in the delvac super and MX 15-40 MSDS's, one lists the percentage of zinc dithiophosphate, where none of the others I looked at does. Yet we know that they all contain that substance I think. The Delvac super also lists a trace amount of kerosene.
The Mineral Oil I can only suppose means anything from GI - III excluding (or maybe including on some of them) the slack wax type GIII.

Nice find. Pretty well as I imagined things -- the 5W-30 and 10W-30 have the largest amount of Group III (lower viscosity spread, easier to do with Group III than the larger viscosity spread oils like 5W-40).

I wonder if the Japan Castrol site has some base oil information on Syntec and Edge?

If someone could cross-reference the ISHL Ordinance Numbers with CAS numbers or something else that will help further identify the types of minerals oils mentioned, I'd greatly appreciate it.

In the 0w40 stuff, 55% slack wax drippins+ 7.5 mineral oil+ .5% kero=63% of total weight, right? that leaves 37% for adds, isn't this pretty high?

Well, in the 5-30 the non-listed ingredient percentage is 45 - 69%, leaves room for the add pack, PAO (not listed on any of the MSDS's), AN's, and other higher order substances. The 10-40 sheet
has for section 2, "No Reportable Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s)."

Great find, JAG -- thanks for posting. 0W30, 0W40, 5W30, and 10W30 formulas in both markets share identical physical properties and, therefore, base oil compositions.

It's wonderful to have information with direct relevance to products marketed to us.

Originally Posted By: buster
Interesting. I thought the 0w oils were all PAO based. Especially the 0w40.

I wonder if Amsoil is using more Spectra Syn PAO than Mobil is using for their own oils? The SSO is using XOM's top of the line PAO.

For the 0w30, 10-20% GIII would likely indicate that the majority (and subsequently the base) oil would be PAO......

Are their bottles marked synthetic? If that is the case here too, then it seems like they have stepped in line with everyone else and are charging high prices GPIII "synthetics".

Last edited:
Question:

Do we know of the XOM products sold in Japan are the same sold here?

As has been noted before, XOM seems to still (even though they were supposed to be coming up with global formulations) has different oil formulations for different countries.

A recent example of that would be the 0w30 AFE sold here vs the 0w30 FE sold in Europe which are completely different oils......

Come on guys, it's not the base oil that counts.

It's the high iron and camshaft wear....errm, performance that makes the oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Question:

Do we know of the XOM products sold in Japan are the same sold here?

As has been noted before, XOM seems to still (even though they were supposed to be coming up with global formulations) has different oil formulations for different countries.

A recent example of that would be the 0w30 AFE sold here vs the 0w30 FE sold in Europe which are completely different oils......

There is indeed a difference between XOM products marketed in the European Union and those marketed in North America.

In this case, however, there's a good deal of overlap between the Japan and North America with the following formulations being identical in every way for both markets:

Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20

Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30

Mobil 1 5W-30

Mobil 1 10W- 30

Mobil 1 0W-40

A simple comparison of published data in Japanese and US PDSs and MSDSs for both countries reveals that each of the aforementioned products have the same physical and chemical properties. Again, they are the same in every way. There may be more as I haven't compared them all.

Now if XOM engineers were able to create different molecular compounds that exhibit the same physical chemical properties under varying conditions, then they would deserve a Nobel prize (and a big bump in pay) for each formula listed above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

lol...

Amsoil, Joe Gibbs, Redline, Valvoline, Castrol all have one thing in common, they use Lubrizol. XOM doesn't work with LZ. Not that it means anything....

Looks like they are improving their website.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/factory_fill/Mobil_1_Factory_fill_home.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Factory_Fill/Vehicles_Filled_Mobil_1.aspx

Mobil 1 products of a given grade are the same worldwide, it just varies by markets which products are available. Typically, if an oil is of a different specification from say the normal 5W-30, it's given a name such as ESP, etc.

For example, the 5W-50 is basically the most popular grade in Australia, is sold in Canada and Europe, but it is not sold in the US. The formula whether in Australia or Canada is identical.

The 0W-40 sold anywhere in the world is the same, the 5W-30 (ACEA A5/ILSAC GF-4) formula is the same, etc. There are just adds and deductions depending on the market for what is carried.

There are some oils that are different within their grade, but they carry different names. In Europe there is a VAG specific 5W-30 I believe, and an ACEA A5 rated 0W-30, while the 0W-30 in other markets is an ILSAC oil.

Last edited:

lol...

Amsoil, Joe Gibbs, Redline, Valvoline, Castrol all have one thing in common, they use Lubrizol. XOM doesn't work with LZ. Not that it means anything....

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/factory_fill/Mobil_1_Factory_fill_home.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Factory_Fill/Vehicles_Filled_Mobil_1.aspx

Oh, they have something else in common too:

They do not have an OTS grade with widespread use in Daytona, LeMans, F1, NASCAR or any other major racing venue.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

lol...

Oh, they have something else in common too:

They do not have an OTS grade with widespread use in Daytona, LeMans, F1, NASCAR or any other major racing venue.

Really, they use 100% off the shelf at Walmart oil in those apps ?

Caltex use that trick down here with their sponsored supercar (600HP V-8). They ask journos going for a test drive to grab some 5 litre containers of Havoline 20W-50 and bring it to the track, where they tip it in the dry sump system and go for test drive.

That is a good find. I wish they had 5W-20 listed. I guess they don't sell M1 5W-20 in Japan.

Also, I don't see any EP listed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back