Mobil 1 High-mileage in a car with low miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FZ1
I wouldn't use High Mileage oil in a non burner,no leaker. Jmo.

Same. I'd only use it in a car that has consumption or leak issues. I've had good success in using HM oils (Valvoline Maxlife, in particular) stopping small leaks in the applications I've tried it in.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Artem
I wonder if there's any real benefit in early use of HM oils. If the seal conditions really work, I'd imagine that the seal conditioners will be able to keep various seals healthier for longer.

Of course the argument can be that, if you service the engine properly at the correct intervals, said seals will be replaced during regular maintenance, so to condition them for 100k miles before hand really wouldn't benefit much since it will be replaced long before it officially goes bad and starts leaking.

So replacing a front or rear main seal can be considered regular maintenance??? Maybe in your world but not in mine...

Most miss the point of HM oil is to prevent problems by keeping seals pliable, not a fix after the seal has dried or worn out...

I don't know what you're driving but lets take my 1998 Toyota Camry V6 for example. During the scheduled timing belt replacement, I replaced both camshaft seals as well as the crankshaft seal @ 90k miles when the timing belt was done. They were in great shape and could have kept going (I was using Mobil 1 synthetic since day one) but i decided to replace them anyway because if they were to start leaking 20, 30 or 40k after the timing belt change, getting in there again would be silly and a waste of time and money, so I replaced them.

@ 190k I went in to replace the timing belt AGAIN. The seals looked good this time too but I replaced them anyway as I'm already in there and might as well replace $15 worth of rubber seals in order to keep the engine dry.

The engine now has 245,000 miles on it and is dry as a whistle from head down to the oil pan gasket.

Now I recently replaced both valve cover gaskets because after over 200k miles, and me removing the valve cover dozens of times to take pictures of my engine cleaning experiments, they started seeping a bit of oil. The seals were a bit on the hard side but after 200k miles of use, I gladly threw them away.

I consider THAT as regular maintenance. Most people fail to replace all the seals I mentioned in hopes of saving a few bucks but then wonder what's up with the BLACK STAIN in the driveway and resort to using HM oil to cure the problem
33.gif

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm going to do one more batch of normal 5W-30 in the Subaru (60,000 miles) and then start using HM on the next change.

All those seals are fine and proper to change at a timing belt replacement, but I bet you didn't change the rear main seal
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TFB1
I wonder if there's any real benefit in early use of HM oils. If the seal conditions really work, I'd imagine that the seal conditioners will be able to keep various seals healthier for longer.

Of course the argument can be that, if you service the engine properly at the correct intervals, said seals will be replaced during regular maintenance, so to condition them for 100k miles before hand really wouldn't benefit much since it will be replaced long before it officially goes bad and starts leaking.

So replacing a front or rear main seal can be considered regular maintenance??? Maybe in your world but not in mine...

Most miss the point of HM oil is to prevent problems by keeping seals pliable, not a fix after the seal has dried or worn out...

I don't know what you're driving but lets take my 1998 Toyota Camry V6 for example. During the scheduled timing belt replacement, I replaced both camshaft seals as well as the crankshaft seal @ 90k miles when the timing belt was done. They were in great shape and could have kept going (I was using Mobil 1 synthetic since day one) but i decided to replace them anyway because if they were to start leaking 20, 30 or 40k after the timing belt change, getting in there again would be silly and a waste of time and money, so I replaced them.

@ 190k I went in to replace the timing belt AGAIN. The seals looked good this time too but I replaced them anyway as I'm already in there and might as well replace $15 worth of rubber seals in order to keep the engine dry.

The engine now has 245,000 miles on it and is dry as a whistle from head down to the oil pan gasket.

Now I recently replaced both valve cover gaskets because after over 200k miles, and me removing the valve cover dozens of times to take pictures of my engine cleaning experiments, they started seeping a bit of oil. The seals were a bit on the hard side but after 200k miles of use, I gladly threw them away.

I consider THAT as regular maintenance. Most people fail to replace all the seals I mentioned in hopes of saving a few bucks but then wonder what's up with the BLACK STAIN in the driveway and resort to using HM oil to cure the problem
33.gif

Originally Posted By: skellyman
I don't use a high-mileage oil in any vehicle , if you have done regular service why would you need it ?
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back